Foster and Gold

Foster and Gold

A Story by StoriesGuy14
"

A short story about a desert and a family

"
All around them, the desert stretched out until it fell over the edge of the horizon. The road looked like it would do the same if they just kept driving, but no matter how long they drove, the view never changed. The horizon got no closer. They were headed to the edge of madness. The slopes and dunes never-ending. In the Land Rover 2018 Sport LE model, even more than half a tank still in reserves, the Fosters knew their path was going to have to lead somewhere. They had no intention nor resources to keep going forever and ever with no end in sight.
"Alright," Jake said. "We gotta hold for a few." They all sat, knowing it was time to think it through. Whitney, his wife, sat in front knowing that. Max, Christine and Patrick, the youngest, were contemplating as well. "Chris, Max," he continued, "you two get out for no more than five minutes. See if you can find anything resembling a route or path leading to land of some sort. Not desert, understood?" They nodded, "Yes, Dad. Yes, Dad."
"Patrick, buddy, while they do that, check the back for whatever supplies and food we still have left. Also, check the flashlights for batteries...you never know if we'll need 'em or not."
"Got it Dad," Patrick replied to him. "Yes, sir."
"-Babe, what should I do?" his wife asked, fairly and openly.
"-I want you to grab the other radio and follow me. Bring your phone too. We're going to the top of the hill."
"Okay," she replied. "When we get there, we're checking for--"
"--Reception. Signal," her reply was more than convincing. She always had a way of knowing how her husband's mind thought before he finished what he needed or wanted to say. It was something Jake always appreciated about his wife Whitney in the 20 years they'd been together.
"Yes, honey. Exactly that--" he replied.
A few moments passed before Christine yelled something only loud enough for her family to hear her. "Er--Dad?! Mom?!--you two are going to want to come see this..."

© 2020 StoriesGuy14


Author's Note

StoriesGuy14
Open to any suggestions, thoughts, input on how the story could flow from where it trails off, etc.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

17 Views
Added on August 27, 2020
Last Updated on August 27, 2020

Author

StoriesGuy14
StoriesGuy14

Austin, TX



About
Been writing since I was a teenage kid. Somehow, someway just picked up a notebook, found a pen, started writing things and have never really stopped. It's a passion, hobby, ongoing cerebral grind, an.. more..

Writing
200 MPH 200 MPH

A Story by StoriesGuy14