The Dream

The Dream

A Story by Katharine Shepherds
"

This is from a while back when I was in a relationship and first felt myself falling in love.

"

I had a dream the other night. I was running. I was running as fast as my legs would carry me. And I don’t know what I was running from. But I was running in a big white space. It was nothing. And it was only me. The soles of my shoes clicked quietly with every stride I took to a rhythm that flowed so smoothly but would not stop. I couldn’t stop even if I wanted to. I was scared to look back to see what was chasing me. It sounded like a storm. Thunder clattered overhead but I did not look back. But then in front of me appeared a scene. It sat in the nothing and I ran right into it. It was him. It was him and it was me. And we looked so happy. We drove in his car. And we sang as loud as we could. And we kissed for the first time on the roof. And we baked a cake. And we wrestled. And we fought. And we covered the wall with pictures. And we spent time with my friends. And we spent time with his friends. And we fought. And we laid in the bed for hours on end, taking slow breaths, wishing these moments would never end. And I played it back in my mind wondering all the while how he saw it, if it was the same for him. He’s had it before. He’s had it all and I have not. He is my only one and I am one of his many. But right now, in this moment, he is mine. And I am his. And I am falling in love with him. And that is the storm I am running from. My vision turned blank again. And I saw him standing there. There was a storm behind him too but it was not moving. He was standing still. And so was the storm. But I was running as fast as I could. I saw him there standing still and I stopped. I stopped right in front of him. And the clouds came and released their wrath. But it did not hurt me. He stood still. And he was dry. And I waited for his cloud to move. But it did not. He stepped towards me. He stepped under my cloud. His storm enveloped mine and the rain was stronger than I imagined. But still it did not hurt me. He looked at me. And I looked at him. And he held me in his arms. And I was not scared anymore. I woke up. And I told him. 

© 2014 Katharine Shepherds


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
Added on September 10, 2014
Last Updated on September 10, 2014

Author

Katharine Shepherds
Katharine Shepherds

West Chester, PA



About
Love All, Serve All, Create No Sorrow -Trevor Hall more..

Writing