Nature Calling

Nature Calling

A Story by J.M. Stall

Like other creative minds, nature is where I seem to find most of my inspiration to start writing. Great authors and poets such as Robert Frost and Henry David Thoreau speak extensively about wandering in nature. Gaining inspiration in the presence of trees in the middle of the forest, walking through fields, and several other settings of the natural kind.


Like them, the edges of forests seem to call out to me. The trees whispering in the wind a friendly invitation to explore their depths. To explore the deepest secrets of the forest that few people get to see with their own eyes. I pity the people who never get to experience the alluring beauty of the finest things in this world. The people who are too busy to with their lives to take the time to see nature. Not just see it with their eyes; with their souls. To feel nature at its' best. When I am “lost” in the forest I find myself in peace. I do not mean the literal term of being lost directionally. I speak about being lost in the moment where I can truly be at peace with myself. Where I can empty my mind and fill my heart simultaneously in an instant. There is a book called A Field Guide to Getting Lost by Rebecca Solnit. She beautifully illustrates the true meaning of being lost and of losing yourself.




















It is not just the aesthetic appeal of being surrounded by trees that puts my soul at ease. I have also found myself exploring open fields. Admiring the great expanse of untouched grass dancing in the wind. Watching the breeze flow from one side of the field to the other on the tips of vegetation like ocean waves. Thinking about how it is but only the tiniest piece of the world that I am seeing, and that there is almost an infinite amount of earth to discover. Wanderlust overwhelms my deepest thoughts with my desire to see everything, but knowing it is not possible for me to actually do so.



Then there are the enormous stretches of seemingly endless bodies of water. Nothing in sight, but the horizon that curves around the earth. Crashing waves, intangible depths, and open in all directions. The dark waters filled with the unknown, but it is irresistibly hypnotizing. Just like the forests that draw me in to discover their secrets.


Nature is filled with mysteries, and I fully intend to continue my investigations into its' depths. To keep my feet moving. Traversing the lands I have access to, and getting to experience all the wonders that this earth has to offer. Nature will continue to call, and I will continue to answer until I cannot move any longer. 

© 2016 J.M. Stall


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice introduction-
"Nature will continue to call, and I will continue to answer until I cannot move any longer."
Will be interested in hearing more...

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
1 Review
Added on March 25, 2016
Last Updated on March 25, 2016
Tags: nature, essay, nonfiction, beautiful, robert frost, frost, henry david thoreau, thoreau, wandering, walking, exploring, forest, rebecca solnit, solnit, inspiration creative, alluring

Author

J.M. Stall
J.M. Stall

PA



About
Empirical writer from central Pennsylvania. Ponderer of life. Love of all things creative more..