The Swing

The Swing

A Story by jmt8921
"

Anita just wants to be a kid again. That's all.

"

The Swing

            Anita sat on the swing, pushing herself with her toes, her arms wrapped around the chains. She took a deep breath and smiled. She looked up, taking in the colors of the leaves, the sounds of children playing, their shouts and giggles, the fresh cedar smell from the wooden castle where their dreams became reality. She wondered what it would be like to be five years old again, to fill her days with stories and games, to not have to worry so much.

            “Hey you!” Josh waved to her from across the field. She watched him, still smiling, as he walked over to the swing set and sat beside her. “I should have known I’d find you here.”

 “It’s a good place to be,” said Anita, taking a hair tie from her wrist and making a ponytail from her blonde curls.

“What happened to studying for finals?”

Anita rocked back and forth, thinking. “I like this better. It helps me relax.”

“You know they count for a third of your grade.”

“I know.” She looked at the tree tops, at the changing leaves, and the way the sun reflected off of them. “I think I’ll be okay.”

For a while they sat in silence, swinging, thinking.

“Josh,” Anita said.

“Yeah?”

“I don’t think you can do it.”

“Do what?”

She didn’t answer.

“Do what!?”

She just smiled and started to swing higher.

“Do what Anita?”

“Swing higher than me.”

“How old are you?”

“Nineteen, give or take fourteen years.” Her face lit up and now she was swinging higher than ever.

“I’m not going to play.”

“Fine, then I guess you’ll be the loser.”

“How can I lose if I don’t even play?”

“Because you’re no fun!” Anita jumped off of the swing and landed in the grass, laughing. “I win.”

“Do not,” said Josh.

“Do too.”

“Nuh-uh.”

“Did you just say, ‘nuh-uh’? How old are you?”

“Ha ha, very funny.”

Anita saw a little girl jump off of the wooden castle and run towards her, fast, with a purpose. Anita watched and waited. The little girl flew up and tagged Anita’s arm and started to run back towards the wooden castle. “You’re it!” The little girl stopped halfway, looking back at Anita, waiting to see if she would play.

“You’re not really going to chase her, are you?” asked Josh.

Anita looked at Josh, then back at the little girl. Then she ran. She ran as fast as she could, and she didn’t look back.

 

 

© 2008 jmt8921


Author's Note

jmt8921
Please leave feedback :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it it's a simple heartfelt story. There's strong elements of the outsider; the girl who doesn't want to grow up and lives the way she wants to despite being treated as a weirdo. She's found her Neverland. Interesting write, good work!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

235 Views
1 Review
Added on December 15, 2008

Author

jmt8921
jmt8921

Front Royal, VA



About
My name is Justin and I am a freshman at JMUl. I am a theater dork. I spend most of my time reading and writing, and my favorite book is The Princess Bride. I want to be an English teacher and maybe e.. more..

Writing
Thrifty Dan Thrifty Dan

A Story by jmt8921