In Defiance

In Defiance

A Poem by Joan Spahr, Soul Poetry
"

Poem of hope and endurance.

"

In defiance I hold,

I reach through blankest, blackest space with open eyes.

In defiance I push toward the farthest pulp of the universe,

And, touching its boundary, penetrate beyond.

I endure.

 

In defiance I wake,

I remain.

Holding breath and brain, shaking, I spiral to the core.

Deep-rooted, splendorous heartache that I am,

In defiance I stand.

 

Shall you know me?

Shall I be seen?

Whose vision peers behind the sheath that separates day from dream?

Who hears the melody of demise, yet sings the tunes of lullabyes,

In defiance still, I rise.

© 2013 Joan Spahr, Soul Poetry


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

There is no such thing as fashion in art. You can like it or not, but style is style, modern or traditional. Staid? Good...that's what defiant means. I am solemn, but more than that I write from wretched determination to expose the tremendous amount of fortitude and will, sheer will, that it takes to hold your ground against the forces seeking to overwhelm you, drown you, unseat you and keep you down. Have you struggled for your very existence, for the right to exist? Not for a little while, but for a lifetime. I imagine most people have not been where I've been and may not be able to recognize life hard-fought, every day, day in day out...drama gets old, it becomes matter of fact survival, without elegance or poetry, just the choice of digging yourself into the ground and daring to exist, or floating away. I will not relinquish, though it would be so much easier. In defiance, I submit, I remain.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Not bad, but it comes across as a little staid and old-fashioned, where I think your intention was to make it solemn. There's a note of solemnity, yes, but I think you've overdone it a little with some of the language you've used. The concept is good and your writing is good, it's just I'm not getting what I think you want me to get out of this piece. Just food for thought.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 20, 2013
Last Updated on February 20, 2013
Tags: poetry, healing, hope, inspiration

Author

Joan Spahr, Soul Poetry
Joan Spahr, Soul Poetry

About
Boldly using the creative process of self expression through writing, visual or musical arts is, I believe, exploiting the most therapeutic form of growth and healing.Not only does one realize the ben.. more..

Writing