ABERFAN

ABERFAN

A Poem by John~D
"

The Aberfan disaster was a catastrophic collapse of a colliery spoil tip that occurred in the Welsh village of Aberfan on Friday 21 October 1966, killing 116 children and 28 adults.

"

After days of rain that did fall, upon the mountain that stood tall.  Came a rumble then a roar of dread and fear, the people of Aberfan would shed a tear.

 

For in that path of the landslide, stood Pantglas School so full of pride.  Leaving assembly they’d finished their song, young children in class, but not for long.

 

The mountain sliced through and covered Pantglas, children and teachers now breathed their last. 

 

The noise had stopped and all was still, quietness filled Pantglas until… Sounds of digging " men with their hands, mothers’ weeping " babies in arms.

 

Hundreds of people came that fateful day, to help, to dig and to pray.  But sadly in vain their efforts would be, now bodies laid out in the chapel Bethania.

 

Years have past and as I drive by, a monument I see it catches my eye.  White arches linked together in rows… please remember the 144 souls.

© 2011 John~D


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very sad story told in the poem. The small cities hold tight to their life and their losses. I like the way you described the people and the situation. Thank you for sharing the outstanding poetry.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 21, 2011
Last Updated on November 11, 2011

Author

John~D
John~D

Pontypridd, Wales



About
...I desperately need YOUR, and all your friends help at www.awarewales.co.uk. Please take a look. Only 2 people have helped me so far. Thank you! Well I've been around, got dizzy, fell over, but al.. more..

Writing
'Ome (home) 'Ome (home)

A Story by John~D


FATHERS DAY FATHERS DAY

A Poem by John~D