Living

Living

A Poem by jonathanjaime

To you my reader, read well.


 Do not rush your success nor hasten your climb. The best wines are those that have waited patiently inside barrels, locked in cellars for decades. Take it slowly and easy, laughing from time to time, reflecting in moments when you need it the most. Breathe in the fresh morning air without minding what might happen in the afternoon. Close your eyes thankful at night without worrying what tomorrow might bring. You had enough challenges today. Tomorrow has its own.


 It is your right to believe in whatever you want. You can believe in ghosts, in aliens, in monsters underneath your bed. Whatever it is, know, however, that believing is not enough to make your dreams come true. Those who dream only, day and night, reduces the chances to make choices and your life is lived in default.


 Never leave your dreams. Take it with you wherever you go. Place them inside your pocket when you stroll the streets. Hang them on your walls to remind you of what you want. Pin them on your calendars or planners to tell you when exactly you want to have them. Share them with your friends to build a circle who can help you achieve them. Make your dreams clear. Telling yourself you want to go somewhere is a lot different from telling yourself you want to visit Paris, Dublin or New Zealand. If your vision is blur, so is your perspective. If your vision is cracked, so is your life.


 There will come a time in your life when all that you have will go down the drain. Cry if you need to. It is normal to be sad. Lock up in your room if you so desire. Take courage, though. All you are is still in tack. Unless you define yourself with what you have, it is still safe to say that you are not lost.


 Do not choose between imagination and knowledge. A person who only imagines is but a lazy dreamer, and a person who only knows is a useless craftsman. Rather, take them both. Imagination takes you far but knowledge makes it tangible. Knowledge creates perspective and details but imagination defines boundaries.


 Know the things you can’t compromise. If not, you can be as gullible to give in and do everything. If you stand for everything, you stand for nothing. When you want to make a difference, decide first what difference you will make. Change, for change’s sake, is more of a subtle mayhem than an overt fiesta.


 Make friends. Friendship is an endurance booster, a motivator, a unique source of inspiration. It’s like water to drown the bitter tasting pill, or like fire that burns for you to keep you warm. To liken a friend to a post is insincere. Yes, you can lean on it but it can never hug you back. Find a friend who won’t just go an extra mile with you but will motivate you to take that extra mile when you feel weak and, well, lazy.


 Finally, continue to grow and influence others. Remind yourself that you are special, unique and amazing! If you think you are just a face in this crowded place, so you will be. If you think you are great, then you are that. Be happy because we live only once but, just as the saying goes, if we do it right, once is enough. See you around. =)

© 2013 jonathanjaime


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Prof, this sounds more of a speech than a poem. Very inspirational and captivating.
No joke, Sir. I find this so nice to be a persuading one during an occasion when you can motivate the youth to live and make dreams come true.
I hope it won't offend you. I really admire this composition. Peace be with you, Sir!

Posted 11 Years Ago


jonathanjaime

11 Years Ago

hehe yes, this is really more of a speech.. I just wanted to post this so more people can read this .. read more
Daisie Vergara (Dhaye)

11 Years Ago

Hope to read more from you, Sir :)
Lovely bit of advice Professor...
The words of wisdom ought to be planted, watered, weeded, and tended with care in the minds of the youth of our world. The only thing I would add is with the following line...
"If you stand for everything, you stand for nothing."
"If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything." Just a thought...Very well written piece.

Posted 11 Years Ago


jonathanjaime

11 Years Ago

thank you very much for taking the time to read the composition and suggesting how to improve it.. I.. read more
Veronica Chandler

11 Years Ago

The pleasure is mine...

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

194 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 29, 2013
Last Updated on March 29, 2013
Tags: living, dreams, message

Author

jonathanjaime
jonathanjaime

Legazpi City, 5, Philippines



About
I am biology professor at a local university. Although my inclination to science is huge, I still find literature to be one of my undying passion. I find reading stories, poems and essays entertaining.. more..

Writing