No such problem

No such problem

A Poem by Jon Gary Frost
"

my struggle with alcohol

"

 

 

It wouldn’t be a problem,

if it weren’t such a problem.

“Just a few” uttered by many others ad nauseum.

“Why don’t you....” fill in the blanks with your own suggestion.

Because you either understand or you never really will.

“No, I’m not” slurred to so many of those I love.

Quick while no one’s looking.

Just one last pull.

Planning ahead to make sure I don’t run out.

“How much do you drink” goes the joke,

“All of it” too true to be a punchline.

Very little I’ve ever felt can feel like this. 

Nothing has ever cost me so much.

But still there will always be 

a part of me

that would pay the price again and again and again.

 

 

© 2009 Jon Gary Frost


Author's Note

Jon Gary Frost
I listed this under "Autobiographical"

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is very well written. I love the line where its, "How much do you drink?" goes the joke...that was brilliant and all too-telling. Many relationships have been ruined because of my drinking habits and I finally have it under enough control, but still ruin friendships with the things I let escape my mouth, or just march out of my mouth without my giving the okay. I don't see anything wrong with this - writing-wise - and I applaud you for having the courage to be so honest. Takes a man to admit problems and wrongdoings and you did it creatively. Thanks for bringing my attention to this.

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Neg
Great writing, I find your work very insightful. Your are talented and hope to learn more from your writing.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Such an honest well written poem. Thank you for sharing. Debileah

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kudos on taking on one of the most under-estimated abuses in the world! Clearly alcohol abuse goes under radar in so many lives.. as we see people drink and do not know if it's a clear problem until many years pass.. and damage occurs in so many forms. I loved the flow.. and could feel the stigma of the lines associated with this abuse. So many can be afflicted at the hands without even taking a drink .. family members.. friends.. etc. In the beginning many can even view the abuser as funny, a hoot, crazy, and a wild time! The stigmas can sometimes enhance the issue for the victims of such abuse encouraging them to do it again and again... I loved your honesty in your emotions.. so many have been touched by this and so many do not even know they have an issue at all.. thank you for sharing! =)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a brutally honest look at addiction. Painful to read at times for those of us who have lived with addiction (perhaps even for those who have not). I hope that sharing the experience with your readers helps you to heal.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is very good, although I occasionally got confused. That was probably my bad, though.

Besides the point, I think this is an important kind of poem. It tells a thousand different stories that begin with the same thing; addiction. But this story is your own, and it tells very well of the struggles there must have been. You put it on the table, and you accepted the addiction. That's something that takes a 'real' kind of person to do. This poem is vital, thank you very much for sharing.


Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I like the in-depth look into your mind. I am not a poet but a novelist, so I don't know all the different styles, however I do know good writing when I see it. Your point was put out there where anyone reading it could understand. Life isn't perfect and when we see our own inperfections is when we heal. Be well...


Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is very well written. I love the line where its, "How much do you drink?" goes the joke...that was brilliant and all too-telling. Many relationships have been ruined because of my drinking habits and I finally have it under enough control, but still ruin friendships with the things I let escape my mouth, or just march out of my mouth without my giving the okay. I don't see anything wrong with this - writing-wise - and I applaud you for having the courage to be so honest. Takes a man to admit problems and wrongdoings and you did it creatively. Thanks for bringing my attention to this.

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

507 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 14, 2009
Last Updated on July 14, 2009

Author

Jon Gary Frost
Jon Gary Frost

Nashville, TN



About
15 years of writer's block later, I'm back at it. I look forward to any and all feedback, but.....please critique my work on it's merit. If you disagree with an underlying message or opinion, that.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Merry Christmas Merry Christmas

A Poem by


He is My Son He is My Son

A Story by Rain