NEW CAREER AT 40

NEW CAREER AT 40

A Story by Joshua Keller

Are you looking for a new career at 40 years of age and asking your self ‘What career is best for me’? Well the news is not all that bad. Many employers would prefer their work force to be younger, however there are still a wide variety of choices available for older applicants.
Studies conducted in USA by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, have showed that from the early ‘00s to the mid 2010’s, the workforce aged between 15 and 24 lost over 370,000 job positions to older workers.
Employers are beginning to see a potential with older and more experienced job seekers.
Beside the fact, that most of the younger generation, surveyed in the study, became full-time students, employers preferred the older applicants.
On the other hand, in the Netherlands, over half a million of their employees are older than 55.
If you want to gain an advantage over the younger applicants, it is worth taking these 3 points into consideration.
1. Resune writing
Highlight your accomplishments in your previous positions, rather than bragging about them. Create a list, this will give you an advantage over the younger applicant who may not have the same experiences or any experience at all. 
Your employment history receives as much attention as any other part of your application. Gaps or a lapses of time in your employment tends to receive a lot of focus from the interviewer. Just as importantly they tend to look at the length of service you have given to previous employees.
Frequent changes in the work place can ring alarm bells for prospective employees.
2. Refresh your knowledge on the fields that are particular to the position you are applying for. Enrol in a course, read texts, journals and magazines related to the field. This is particularly pertinent if the job is in the professional sectors.
Keep abreast of the latest trends and technology
3.Utilise the Internet when looking for job vacancies. Search for ‘Older Applicant Positions’, as a lot of job agencies specifically advertise for the older workforce. Search engines are set up to handle these types of searches.
Here are some jobs that do not normally specify the age of the applicant:
1. Specialized Professionals - eg. any thing in the medical field. Experience is what counts here.
2. Tutors, lecturers and speakers - qualification focuses on experience and first hand  knowledge.
3. Professional writers - good writing skills is what is important here. Professionals such as; novelists, playwrights and children’s book authors.

© 2018 Joshua Keller


Author's Note

Joshua Keller
I am professional resume writer. I am proud that I help people to get dream job! Don't hesitate to turn to federal resume service and ask about writing resume. You can change your life!
Also, I really like surfing and snowboarding. So every time I find it hard to choose - Bali or Alps? If you like this kinds of sport write me, we can exchange experiences.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on October 23, 2018
Last Updated on October 23, 2018
Tags: career, job, work

Author

Joshua Keller
Joshua Keller

Syracuse, NY



About
I am professional resume writer. I am proud that I help people to get dream job! Also, I really like surfing and snowboarding. So every time I find it hard to choose - Bali or Alps? more..