A Tale Retold

A Tale Retold

A Story by Josh Raj
"

An explanation of a Indian drama called The Fire and The Rain by Girish Karnad and a theme mostly focused on the differences between love and crave.

"

A tale retold

 

Part 1

 

All the land needs is a couple of heavy downpours. That’ll revive the earth. Not too much to ask of god, is it?


Nittilai’s father said so, and was their home gathered with people from all over the village in order to receive the gruel that he distributes.

 

Years had it been without even a drop of rain and had the waters in nearby lakes and ponds had been dried up, which made the sight of water to be seen anywhere.

 

In the capital of the kingdom, there was a Yajana so religiously done for seven years was almost under the ways of completion headed by many priests and who were all headed under Paravasu, who was commissioned by the King whom also took his role in the service of prayer in disguise. They were approached by a They were approached by a They were approached by an Actor-Manager to amuse the audience with a play, while the troupe was to end with the service of prayer held almost in a pious manner for about seven years.

Raibhya father of Paravasu, was the real person to lead with the service of prayer, but as the prayer was to for seven years the king decided not to use him for the purpose. Anger was filled on the eyes of Raibhya on his own son, which made him to show anger to his daughter in law, Vishakha and to abuse her with his words never to be told in the years when her husband was not the village.

Andhaka was a blind man, and he had a son named Yavakri. Andhaka used to boast about the spiritual knowledge that was gained by his son from the forests directly from the Gods about the knowledge of the Vedas directly.

Arvasu was Raibhya’s other son and he was not considered much by his father or by his elder brother. Arvasu was to be too different from the others in the family and even did Vishakha have a little liking for his good natured heart. Arvasu was in deep most love with a girl of the tribes named Nittilai.

Part 2

Nittilai and Arvasu were having their own times of fun. The tradition of the tribes had custom, that if oe was to marry they had to tell it aloud in the crowd gathering that were going to marry such and such. it was a subject that Arvasu never had seen in his caste, and it was truly so new, yet Nittilai who is seen to be as an past generation of today’s modern women to give his man courage and confidence to face the elder of her tribal village.

They after wards go on to meet Andhaka and Arvasu tries to do certain a mock in a way that the blind man would not find. Andhaka finds out all the activities that Arvasu does near him, and then he boasts about his son Yavakri. He was sent by his father for he never received the desired respect or recognitions that he wanted to gain.

So did Yavakri, had went into an expedition into to the forests. He went to did prayers so that he could obtain knowledge of the Vedas directly from the Gods. Indra, the lord of Gods appeared to him, and he said that there was no route too short for knowledge, and it had to be obtained by studying under a Guru. This was not known too much of the villagers or to his father himself, yet everyone near give him a great amount respect thinking all were to be true, that he was to be a great person.

“My point is since Lord Indra appeared to Yavakri and Indra is their God of Rains, why didn’t Yavakri ask for a couple of good showers? You should see the region around our village. Parched. Every morning, women with babes on their hips, shrunken children, shriveled old men and women gather in front of my father’s house-for the gruel he distributes…. And father says all the land needs is a couple of heavy downpours. That’ll revive the earth. Not too much to ask of god, is it?”

and

“Actually, I want to ask Yavakri two questions. Can he make it rain? And then, can he tell when he is going to die? Just two what is the point of any knowledge, if you can’t save dying children and if you can’t predict your moment of death.”

Was a question that the girl of tribes of not much education, Nittilai put forth towards to the blind man to be asked to his son.  The very boldness would have been a reason that Arvasu would have fallen in a love so deep with the girl of the tribes.

You two are brave. It’s one thing to frolic together as children. But you’re not children any longer. You’re enough to know that the world can be cruel and ruthless.

Replied the blind man, which had a thorn in his words which would have pricked the birds of love. Since if a inter-caste marriage in their place was to take place then people would had the habit to look down. Nittilai on the other hand was in to be given in hand to another person of her own tribe and it was all on the decision of Arvasu, his meet with the elders of hers would bring a possibility of him to catch hold of his beloved hand. Yet there were never anything so intimate with the birds in love, for Nittilai’s love to her beloved remain to be spiritual.

Andhaka says to the two that Yavakri wanted to meet them both that day.

Part 3

A once so attractive village belle, was Vishakha filling water on an Indian pot, as no one was around she picks it up and puts it around her waist and starts to walk home. Yavakri was standing in the middle of a path; she stops but never looks at him.

Please…

Y: At last, a word! After waiting for four days

V: I can’t stay here chatting with a stranger

Y: A stranger!

V: I am a married woman

Y: I know you are. ... . Can’t we just talk?

V: That’s over and done with now

Y: … after ten years in solitude, I am hungry for words

V: Why?

Y: … life in the jungle was a sheer hell. Flies, giant ants, beetles, pests, leeches … moistures, vipers … relentless heat. Not demons but mosquitoes to torture you-

V: Perhaps that’s how the Gods test one.

Y: One would expect the appearance of a God to be a shattering experience … I think Indra came to me several times, I was not certain. The first time he appeared he said.

I: ‘No, Yavakri, you can’t master knowledge … It must come with experience. Knowledge is time. It is space. You must move through these dimensions.’

I said,  ‘No, I must have it. Grant me all knowledge.’

He laughed and said:

I: ‘You are being silly’.

Y: That’s it!

Common dialogue.

Not very much profound.

And when the God disappeared,

Nothing was left behind to prove he had ever been there.

I looked around.

The same old black scorpion.

The same horned chameleon

So I go on.

Another year.

Or perhaps two.

Then the gods come again.

I: ‘Why are you being stubborn?’ …

V: But you did win in the end?

Y: Yes, one day I decided I had won. So I came back. I have no clear recollection how u arrived at that conclusion.

Some knowledge, but probably little wisdom … Mastered a few secret arts. Got a few mantras as my fingers-tips. You’ll see for yourself soon-

V: Me? No, thank you.

V: I can’t believe it! The whole world may be singing praises.

But you haven’t grown up!

These ten years have not made any difference

To your teenage fantasies.

That’s all gone Yavakri

And they talk on and go behind a dry tree.

Nittilai and Arvasu enter

N: He’s going to settle down here now, isn’t he? So why can’t you see him tomorrow? Surely a day isn’t going to make a difference. If we are late, the elders will be angry with us and…

A: Let’s give him five minutes. That’s all, Nittilai. Please. … . I’ll touch his feet. Ask for his blessings. Then we go on.

N: All right. But there’s no one here. I hope he doesn’t make us wait.

Nittilai goes towards the stream and stops suddenly she suddenly again transforms from an innocent young girl into a huntress. Arvasu goes near her and she points to something in the dry bed of the river and it was the pot of Vishaka.

Suspicion arouses in the mind of Arvasu on the pot full of water. Arvasu thinks as if a panther was nearby and his lady bird says, ‘No. Tracks of the barking deer. A couple of porcupines. A family of mongoose. No sign of a panther �" or anything that big �" not within the last three days.’

‘Shall I go in and see?’, Asks Arvasu. ‘No need. It’s all here …’ says Nittilai and freezes and stares at the ground, looking in a direction the footsteps led to.

‘Is your brother back?’, she asks. ‘Paravasu? Of course not. He can’t leave the sacrifice-‘

He goes behind the tree

Suddenly

Rushes out followed by Vishaka, her cloth torn, back covered with mud, runs without seeing his lady love. Arvasu stares.

Y: Aren’t you the whelp who was asking my old servant if I knew my moment of death?

N: (taken aback): How did you know that?

Y: (ignoring her question): I don’t know when I’ll die. But I promise you this - you’ll be dead within the month.

N: Oh �" I �" I’m going home �"

A: Nittilai �" wait �" I’ll follow you �"

But she disappears

Part 4

Surprises at home does wait, for Raibhya returns and Vishaka is horrified, a little later does Arvasu arrives with the pot and this is looked over by Raibhya.

Raibhya talks harsh at Vishaka, grabs her by her hair, beats her, kicks her. Arvasu couldn’t see such sight, he then rushes to help her and his father holds him back.

A: Stop it, Father, Please. Go away, Sister in law. Go �" please �"

R: Where can she go? I want to know the truth and I’ll kill her if necessary. Let me go! I know how to handle her �" (Struggles to get out of Arvasu’s hold.)

V: Let him go! Arvasu. (Calmly) Yes, there was somebody else there. Yavakri! And he had come to see me. Alone.

(They stare at each other)

Raibhya threatens to kill Yavakri and goes unto meditation. The other run in opposite directions trying to save the soul of Yavakri.

Vishaka finds Yavakri and warns him,

Arvasu finds Andhava and warns him too.

But for a moment it seemed as if Vishaka was being mind controlled, and there was a pot near Yavakri and she pours down the water in it. The water was sacred to save himself and now she comes back after the control of her mind, and asks her illict lover to run for his life to his father’s home which could save his life. But then a demon appeared to cut Yavakri into pieces and he was in his father’s hands and he on the other hand couldn’t recognize it was his son. Which he mastered before when arvasu tried mocking himself as being a certain animal or so.

A: - Yavakri - ? Yavakri �" Son.

Yavakri! Child! What happened to you? I didn’t recognize your steps �" why, why couldn’t I couldn’t recognize your steps?

Part 5

Evening at the village. Nittilai’s brother and a couple of his friends are waiting under a tree. They talk in low tones. The brother looks up and sees Arvasu in the distance.

Arvasu asks where are the elders and the brother answered him that they had all gone. Then Arvasu tells his excuse for his lateness, the reason was that he was to cremate the body of Yavakri for he was dead. The news was not considered to be too big by the brothers.

Arvasu asks where are the elders? And they replied that since he was late, the elders had decided to make Nittilai to marry a guy from their own tribe,

A: What? Oh, no! No! No! No! that can’t be-

Brother: I agree. I’m afraid my father was a little hasty. But he was tired of waiting. He felt angry. … . he said, ‘I’m willing to marry her off to anyone who’ll take her.’ Fortunately, it was a nice young man, one of our relatives, who stepped forward. Nittilai will be happy. Console yourself with that thought.

A: No, no you’re making fun of me. I know you are �" tell me you’re making-

B: nothing can be changed now. If only you’d come half an hour earlier.

A: Half an hour! … Don’t say that. Please, can I see the young man@ I’ll explain to him. Plead him. … . Please let me meet your father and the Elders. I’ll go right now �" I’ll explain �" it can’t be �"

B: Go home, Arvasu … It’s no use/

A (shouts): But I want my Nittilai �" I �"

(In quick movement, the brother knocks him down and plants his foot on his chest.)

B: You’ve caused enough trouble … . Nittilai is to be married in the next couple of days. … . Don’t shame her further by shouting her name in public.

A: Can I �" can I talk to her?

B: No, you can’t. Not till the wedding’s over.

A: And after that?

B: That’s up to her and her husband

A: Please, tell me. How’s she taken it?

B: It’s been a terrible day for her. She is exhausted. Even now she is crying her heart out. You’ll only make it worse for her hanging around here. Go away.

A (starts to go, turns): But listen. It’s not my fault. (The brother grabs him by the scruff of his neck)

B: Go!

Part 6

Another surprise does enter home when, while Raibhya is awake and Arvasu sits in the corner of the veranda.

R: Who is that? Who’s coming in the dead of the night?

P: It’s me, Father, Paravsu.

R: Paravsu? … You? here? What are you doing here? There still is a month left to go before the sacrifice ends. You are �" you can’t �" you have broken the rules!

P: I felt like coming him

R: Felt? And just walked out? With the ritual bracelet on? … Or have they thrown you out? Your wife’s reputation must have reached there by now-

(Arvasu and Vishaka would have gotten up by now and would listen from a distance)

P (gently): Of course, they’ve heard the news. But they haven’t chased me out. … If I am back there before dawn, no one need know. … . The king often says he would have preferred you to be the Chief Priest. But it was a seven-year rite. They thought … a younger man safer.

R: I see. So you measured my life-span, did you-you and your King? Tested the strength of my life-line? Well, the sacrifice is almost over and I’m still here. Still here. Alive and kicking. Tell the King I shall outlive my sons.

And he leaves.

P: How are you?

A: I’m all right.

P: Your eyes are blood-shot. I’m sorry if I’ve disturbed your sleep.

A: No, no.

Arvasu had an interest for theatre and Paravasu did not. There then went thus of a little heated argument between the brothers.

Part 7

V (in a low voice): How are you, Husband?

P: (No reply.)

V: Only occasional bits of news about you. When someone from here goes to the city and attends the sacrifice.

_

V: Are you well? …

_

V: I was sure you wouldn’t come home even if I were on my deathbed.

_

V: … Whatever you heard about Yavakri and me … was no rumor.

_

V: Yavakri and you. How much you resemble each other. You both go away when you feel like it. Come back without an explanation. … Why did you go away like that?

And then Paravasu talks and their conversation goes on.

P: You want me to kill you?

V: At last, a question from you. We’re three of us here. Your brother’s never home. That leaves me and your father. Something dies inside your father the day the King invited you to be the Chief Priest. He’s been drying up like a dead tree since then. On the other hand, there’s his sense of being humiliated by you. On the other, there’s lust. It consumes him an old man’s curdled lust. And there’s no one here to take out his rage out on but me. At least Yavakri was warm, genle. For a few minutes, he made me  forget the body, the claws and the blood, cold as ice and he paid for it with his life.

Raibhya’s returns

V: Here it comes. The crab! … Grant me this favour, please Kill me. For all your experiments you haven’t tried the ultimate. Human sacrifice! You could now.

P: You’re right. I must. You are still my guru.

He aims up his arrow straight toward her. A low cough is heard from Raibhya, Paravasu moves the arrow and shoots his father.

V: Now you’ll never know if I told a lie.

P: You didn’t need to. He deserved to die. He killed Yavakri to disturb me in the last stages of the sacrifice.

They call in Aravsu and he comes in running

Aravsu: What is it? Is that father? What happened to him? Oh God! Blood! Blood! �" what’s happened? Oh my God �" I can’t �"

V: Say ‘No’, Aravsu.

A: Sister �" in �" law �"

V: Refuse. He killed his father. Let him atone for it. Don’t get involved in it.

A: But then �" what about the sacrifice?

V: Let it go to ruin. Does it matter? There has been enough bloodshed already, Enough tears. Live your own life.

P (As though she hasn’t spoken): Don’t rush through the rites. Perform them with care. Every detail must be right.

A (lost): Bless me, Brother.

Paravasu makes him to cremate the second dead body of the day and on his way he saw the demon who had killed Yavakri too. Were it said that it was his father who gave him the new birth and Paravasu says that he does not any more brothers.

Aravasu goes to the place where Paravasu is stationed but is questioned by his brother and thrown out by the guard when he was to blurt out that Paravasu had killed their father. And Chief Priest said.

P: As the sacrifice approaches its completion, the demons come out. Rakshasas. Their sole aim is to disrupt the sacrifice. We must be on our guard.

And at a sign from him, the rites began again.

Part 8

Nittilai: Aravasu, where are you goin? Its me Nittilai, the fever has gone down

A (unbelieving): Nittilai! You? It can’t be it isn’t.

N (laughing): yes it is

A: Nittilai! Am I dreaming? Or are you really here? You won’t disappear again, will you? Where have you come from, you are Nittilai aren’t you? Don’t melt away please, please stay that you’re now here. I wont let you go.

N: Wait! Don’t be a child here let me tie your dothi, properly, sit down here

A: where are we?

N: outside the city gates

A: and these people?

N: mostly starving villagers they are here for the end of the fire sacrifice, they are waiting for the concluding feast

A: you looks so lovely, all those patterns on your hands and face, you’re like a brode, but didn’t you go home to sleep last night?

N: here eat this (fruit) I don’t know when you had a proper meal last

A: how is it that you’re here?

N: I’ve run away

A: from your husband?

N: from my husband, family and everything

A: oh

N: I liked him, very much, he’s always smiling, I might have been happy with him, if any other girl had done what I had done, I’d be the first to trash her in the village. But when I heard what had happened to you, I almost died when I heard they’d beaten you up I got up and ran all the way here

A: and how did you find me?

N: it didn’t take much searching, every stray pup here knows about you.

And Aravasu repeats to his dear Nittilai the story that happened earlier.

A: I worshipped my brother, and he betrayed me, I let you down and you risk everything for my sake

N (simply): I like you (gives him another fruit) here I hid this for you, there are three children in the actors family, poor things

A: actors?

N: yes it was they who saved your life

A: how long is it since you left home?

N: three days

A: are you crazy?

N (lightly): I was waiting for you to gain some strength

A: woman, have you no brains? You only think of others? I know your people, once they decide on vengeance, we must leave immediately

N: Arvasu, when I say we should go together- I don’t mean we have to live together- like lovers or like husband and wife. I have been vicious enough to my husband. I don’t want to disgrace him further. Let’s be together-like brother and sister. You marry any girl you like. Only please, Arvasu-spare a corner for me.

A: I won’t marry, ever, its enough that you are with me

Then Aravasu says that he wants to take revenge over his brother and she replies

N: Leave that to the gods, Arvasu. Look at your family. Yavakri avenges his father’s shame by attacking your sister-inlaw. Your father avenges her by killing Yavakri. Your brother kills your father. And now you in your turn want vengeance where will it all end? Kick the world aside, your hands are clean, even I have wounded, betrayed my husband. You have remained good, stay that way, we don’t need this world, we can find our own.

Then Nittillai goes a little far

Arvasu’s sweet heart comes running all of a sudden and says that her brother and her husband are searching for her and she says that she would go and hide in the jungle.

A: hide? What do you mean hide? Are we playing games here? You here, me here, no I won’t let you go

N: … my husband wasn’t smiling, he looked sad, that scares me, I am still young, I don’t want to die (weeps)

A: don’t cry, please, if you have to go you must, but what am I to do?

N: why do you keep asking me?why don’t you decide? Don’t push everything on me

Actor-Manager: act in my show

There are talks between the Actor-Manager and Aravasu, in order to make him act for the drama for the actors were less and it was to be portrayed to audience at the final day of the service of prayer. Aravasu was a little hesitant at first and later agreed.

N: then Aravasu will want to play the demon, he loves all the ghoulish make-up, the roaring, the acrobatics. … . How long are you going to turn your face away from it then? Face it. Face your brother as you wanted to (He looks at her in surprise) not in hate, in the play, show him how good you are, I’m sure the play will wash off the fear and anger, I’d better go, it’s almost dawn

A: isn’t there any way you could watch the play that day? It would give me so much courage

N: I wish I could, but it’s too dangerous, come here after the play is over, at night there will be much crowd, we’ll meet at this point and fade away, I am glad you are not playing Indra, I don’t like that God

A: why?

N: he is immortal, when someone doesn’t die, can’t die, what can he know about anything? He can’t change himself, he can’t create anything, I like Vritra because he chooses death, I always wonder if flowers didn’t know they were to fade and die, would they ever blossom? I must leave

A: I wish you could hide here in the city some where

N: no its better that even you don’t know where I am, concentrate on your rehearsals, learn, I am sure you’ll be marvelous, I am sure your dancing will bring the rains goodbye

Part 9

The drama goes on well at its initial stages, but becomes a chaos in the middle. Paravasu accepts his mistake and dies, Nittilai at a point comes into save her love and she does but before they could leave the chaos, her brother and husband comes. Brothers puts Aravasu down and her husband slits her throat off and there was she to be lying down dead. He tries to cremate her in the sacrificial fire but then.

Suddenly the fire dies, a voice is heard.

Indra: Aravasu, son, we are pleased with you, ask for any boon and it shall be granted

A: Who is that?

I: I am Indra, the Lord of Gods, know that all the Gods are pleased with you

A: Indra? But what do I have to do with Indra? I didn’t seek Indra, or any other God, Yavakri did, Paravasu did, I seek only death, wht are you here?

I (laughs): you question the Gods?

A: but �" what have I done to deserve this visit?

I: we loved the way you challenged Indra and then pursued him … in the ply, but it could also be because of Paravasu’s sacrifice and Nittilai’s humanity, you humans are free to construe  the acts of God as you wish, the point is we are here and you can ask for anything you want

Crowds: Rain, Aravasu ask for the rain, water

A (slowly): Lord Indra, I wan Nittilai back alive, that’s all I want in my life, grant me that, Nittilai my gentle Nittilai, I killed her, I want her back

C: Water, Aravasu ask for the rains

Aravasu was much keen in bringing his love back to his life, but then Indra said if such was to happen then life would re-repeat  itself again and the tragedy of the past will be back before his eyes again. The persons who and all died at time will also come be alive that is his father, brother, Yavakri and others. Aravasu said that now he has become wiser and would not all such problems to occur again.

As this moment a shout is heard from afar, it is the voice of Brahma Rakshasa asking Aravasu to free him. Aravasu asked Indra if he could bring back his love and others and melt away Brahma Rakshasa and Indra replied only one of the two could be done, Aravasu hesitates to send down Brahma Rakshasa. Brahma Rakshasa says if Nittilai had come back to her life she would be much tormented and she would hear his voice wherever she is and it would be like hell for her, here back at Earth.

I: Aravasu have you decided?

A: Grant that Brahma Rrakshasa his release, let him go

I: you’re sure you want that?

A: Nittilai would have wanted it

Nittilai’s soul goes away

Aravasu sits down clutches Nittilai’s corpse, Brahma Rakshasa waits but nothing happens, he looks around scared, the worls seems to stand still

C: what’s that? �" you smell that? �" yes, yes, the smell of wet earth, of fresh rains, it’s raining, somewhere nearby, the air is blossoming with the fragrance of earth it’s raining, it’s raining, rain, the rain

Wind blows, lightening, thunder, people shout ‘Rain, it’s raining’. Brahma Rakshasa melt down, it pours, people dance with joy, Aravasu sits clutching Nittilai’s body.

Finally the words concluded

Aravasu: It’s raining, Nittilai! It’s raining!

Conclusion

Love Vs Crave

Love

The Drama The Fire and The Rain, has lot of aspects to talk about mostly on the view points of how the society treats its female gender.

The very difference between the relationship between the female characters and their male counterparts are clearly visible through this drama by Girish Karnad which he was inspired from the Myth of Yavakri from the Mahabharata.

What the men had over Vishaka was purely an ordinary level of love. Even Vishaka was not true to her husband or was he in the same way was loving towards his wife.

She never wished to marry Paravasu in the first place, for she had keen interest in Yavakri. It is due to force of her family she accepted to hold the hand of Vishaka. Never was she allowed to have a decision of her own which is also to be tradition to be followed in modern times in the country sides of the sub continent.

After her marriage to Paravasu, she did not have the life she wished. He purely experimented with her body for a year in all way he could and finally left to the sacrifice. Though actually the chief post was to be given to Rabhiya since he was the senior most. But all due to the rites to be done for seven years and Rabhiya was thought to be old, that he wouldn’t life so long and so did the King choose his son for the Kingdoms sake.

As hoe Paravasu only experimented with Vishaka’s physical body for a year and left to conduct the rights, he always enjoyed only the body of her for the year and left her alone. She thought he would never come back even when she was to die.

Rabhiya was in the deep most anger with his son all his anger could only be shown to either Aravasu of Vishaka. Aravasu a being of male gender, had his own freedom to roam and he was not questioned much. Vishaka being a female gender couldn’t move at a lot and so she became a pathetic victim to her father in law, where she showed all his anger of his son on her.

The only kind natured persons towards Vishaka were to be Aravasu and Yavakri. Though Yavakri was thought to be all so holy, for his venture to attain knowledge in the deep forest was almost ten years. His life had never changed since then, and little did he learn too. It could also be said that his ambition brought up his downfall. Still his love for Vishaka was never changed and was his behavior as such to feel his body to touch hers when she met him.

Father in law must be second protectors of the daughters in law who come their homes. But here we see everything to be inverted. Vishaka suffers a lot as how many other characters all have been facing throughout the drama.

All these seem to say love is to be a very negative effect at times. Though we see Vishaka to be much more intelligible than the other female character of the play, we see her to lose herself in world so dominated by the males. It’s much evident from the way the men in the play try to play up with her life right from the beginning of her father, husband, father in law and in the hands of her illicit lover.

Crave

Love could never be the word to describe the relationship between Aravsu and Nittilai. She who was raised from the tribal communities. Yet a little more innocent and shrewd was she to be than the other female role. Many critics have placed a very high opinion on Nittilai.

She was all very loving and giving a little bit of courage to her guy. She loved from the beginning of the play till the sad end of her death. She even had asked Aravasu to go boldly and talk with the elders of her tribe. When she had the opportunity to meet the blind old man, she had the very bravery to ask of something that he boasts off to others which was to ask his son when would he know the date of his own death and why didn’t he ask for simple joys as rain for the village when everything was dried up.

She was also the to find Vishaka was not in a danger from a panther, and said there were few animals around than that of something big but it was all in the from a horrible being nearby, it maybe said it was all due to her huntress instinct but it seems she had a third eye that even Aravasu wasn’t able to easily spot out.

She even withdrew her husband even to take care of Aravasu when he was badly beaten up all due to his brother who he had first worshipped a lot. Not even did his sister in law come in search for him but did the huntress stay with him for three days taking care of his needs giving food not only for him but for the children of the actors and others too. Whenever Aravasu was in the temptations to do something with her, for one instance in the whole of the novel, her reply seem to be very diplomatic and intelligent too.

She gave in lot of courage she could ever pump up into her love in many possible ways and even inspired him to face everything with courage as a man with no sheds of blood unto to the ground. She seems to be much humane in the whole of the play than any other character.

Truly she was a true representation of the tribes since she could camouflage herself in the jungle when she her husband and brother in search of her. She even regrets at a point of leaving her husband and says that if it was some other girl to do so, she herself would have been the very first person to beat her, this shows her justness. She craved for Aravasu so much that she didn’t even scold him when he had ended up late to meet the Elders in the first place. She respected the codes of traditions and culture a lot than the other people in the play.

Even did Aravasu crave for her a lot. When she says she was with him three days and she came when she heard horrible things were happening to him, his only shout to her was that had she lost her brain. Her answer was not cold either but took it all in a light hearted way. It would have all came from her father who helped the villagers nearby with the giving of gruel.

She only scolded her love only once when he asked what he was to do without her.  Her reply was practical that he had face some problems of his own and not put everything on her shoulders. Even the Actor-Manager was much attracted to Nittilai, this proves that everyone would have had a lot of respect for her humanness.

Finally she ran to save to her love but due to unforeseen consequences her own husband slit her throat in the end. This made Aravaus too sad, he thought of bringing her to life but it was that if she had her life back, then her life would have been much miserable.

She was on his arms when she died, all people around were happy to smell the sweet aroma of the rain after so many years. Aravasu just said calling out her name, Nittialai, it’s raining, it’s raining. As she said that if he rehearsed well and practiced in dance performance that he could bring in the rains, so did he and was words so true. 

© 2014 Josh Raj


Author's Note

Josh Raj
I am new to the field of writing, but I love it a lot. As I am a beginner I would have set in a lot of errors and grammatical mistakes for I am a little weak with it, please help me out to better my skills in writing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

187 Views
Added on May 10, 2014
Last Updated on May 10, 2014
Tags: Fire, Rain, Girish, Karnad, Play, Drama, Indian, India, Yavaakri, Brahma, Nittilai, Aravasu, Paravasu, Hindu

Author

Josh Raj
Josh Raj

Tirunelveli, Reddiarpatti, India