Polly

Polly

A Story by Katie Marie

Polly

I knew this girl once; I met her in a psych ward. She wore her sleeves way over her hands, and occasionally she’d let me see the scars upon her thighs. Her dresses didn’t leave too much to imagination, and not a single eye looked past the purple lines; bulging, healing, just under her hem line. Her hair hung around her face; I only saw her eyes when she wanted me to, and that went just the same for anyone else. Her eyes were always sunken, and smeared with a line of black. If you saw in the morning, you’d think she were beautiful too. Her face was always pale and her eyes had this little black flick of liner. But if you saw her in the afternoon, you’d think she was beautiful too. Her mascara had always run, and her cheeks were stained with streaks. I think she made a habbit if crying at lunch time, or at least that’s how she always looked. And she’d rub her cheeks with those long sleeves, and skim across that thick scar under her left eye. I thought about it everyday, because I always thought about her, that scar was important, for one reason or another. Though I never asked her what it was, I figured she’d tell me when she was ready. She didn’t talk a lot, but when she did, she asked a lot of questions and didn’t have too much else to say. 

I met her on the first day I was there. My wrists were bandaged and my skin was pale; there were pits of purple luggage under each of my eyes, and she smiled at me as I ate my meal alone. I didn’t real eat, I pushed the meal around my plate and eyed the smeared fat. She found me in the common room as I sat by myself with a book, she had a book, she always had a book, but she didn’t seem to read. 

“You’re the new kid, right?” she asked, she sat close to me, pulling a chair along beside me.

“I guess so, came in this morning,” I’d said, folding a page in my book.

“You’re the one who slit his wrists, right?” she asked. She looked excited, like it was the most exciting news she’d heard in weeks. I nodded. “Good. We were running low on those kinds of crazy,” she looked around, forcing me to follow her stare, and pointed a couple of times. “We have a schizophrenic, the junky - actually, we have a few of those. The guy who thinks he’s a glass of orange juice, and a few people who bite. You don’t bite, do you?” 

“I’m guessing not the way these people do. What do you mean about the orange juice?” She sat close to me, leaning in as though she were eager for every word I said. Every word she said too. 

“Acid; drugs’ll do that to you,” she knew it too. She knew full well, but she didn’t care. I later found that out. “What’s your name?”

“Chris. You?”

“Polly,” she smiled. She only ever smiled at me. “Where’s your room?”

“The one across from the office, they didn’t want me too far away”.

“I remember being in that room. It’s white, huh? Like they want you to look at nothing and feel nothing”.

We were called in for activities and didn’t get time to talk, but that was the first day I met her, and we spoke everyday after that. 

She asked a lot of questions; she wanted to know about me. She didn’t answer a lot of mine, she liked to do so with other questions. But I learnt a lot about her none the less; she liked to ask me questions for her own self gain - it wasn’t to know that there were other people just like her. No, she wasn’t cliche like that. She did it to remember how crazy she was. Everything I said, she had a story to top it. Every scar was deeper, and every drug was stronger. 

I only knew because she trusted me, trusted me like nobody else. 

We spent our days together, every meal and every activity, every bit of spare time too. And at nights, we snuck out of our rooms. She liked to walk to the roof at night; she liked to see the view. All the darkness in front of us and the lights ahead, and she liked to lean against the edge, half her body hanging off. I liked to stand there and watch her, to make sure she didn’t fall. She’d light a single cigarette, she did it every night. She’d give me one too, and we’d shiver there together; her smoking face was so serious, she’d squint and concentrate on the drag. I loved to watch her. 

One night we were out there, and I remember that kiss so well. It was shaken and nervous, and her hands held the ledge; it tasted of mint and smoke. She laughed when it was finished and rubbed her cheeks again, she always rubbed her cheeks. 

“I’m cold,” she said, “my cheeks are cold,” I held her close as we both finished our cigarettes. I remember how silent it was too, just the humming of all the lights. She asked me lots of questions, and I asked her the same again, hoping one day she’d answer me. She didn’t ask another question this time, though she didn’t answer mine either. 

She told me that I didn’t have to know why she was crazy, just that she was. I think she liked to be that way - unstable - she liked the way it felt to be out of control. So I didn’t ask her anymore.

But I felt her arms reach up to wipe her cheeks again, “why have you never asked?” she said, and I knew what she meant this time. That scar on her left cheek, but I told her I didn’t know. 

“I figured you’d tell me if you wanted to; it wasn’t something I needed to know,” I held her tighter, as though it were a topic we needed to hold on for. 

“You’re right,” she said, “I’ll tell you if I want to tell you”.

She was in the ward for six months, I was there for three of those, and on my last night, we went onto the roof, and had three cigarettes each instead of one. She told me she’d look me up when she was out, and we could be crazy together. I don’t think she had a lot of other friends; it was hard to be friends with her, but we managed. And we loved it.

She called me the day she got out, and we went to a bar to celebrate. One beer, two beers, three beers, more. We were there until we couldn’t walk, and the view in front of us was blurred. We lost at pool, and ran from our bets. We stumbled through the streets and caught a taxi home, god knows how we paid for that or if we even paid at all. Most of our nights together went like that, we either drank until we vomited, smoked until we coughed, or hallucinated, sped, or danced until we slept. Our days were consumed with coffee and selling our things for money. 

Polly was what made me crazy, I wasn’t really until I met her; Polly made herself crazy too. But liked being crazy together, nothing was ever clear. Together we saw a lot of trails and had a lot of slurred words. She did everything as though she could die in the next minute, and with her, you never knew if she would or not. She loved like she were dying, fucked like she were too. She ate with no regrets and lived on tea and coffee, cheap cigarettes too. She laughed when nothing was funny and screamed with no excuse, and I loved every bit of it, because I loved every bit of her. 

But as long as I knew her, I never knew why she had that scar under her left eye. She never told me, because she never wanted to. I didn’t know until I found her in our bed, her eyes were closed and her body curled; I thought she was asleep. But she never stirred like every other sleep, and she didn’t make a sound. In the morning she was cold, and I realised she was dead. The police said it was self inflicted; I always knew that’d be the way that she went. She knew it too. 

I found that book, the book she always seemed to have but never read, and I read it instead. That scar was of her own doing, from when she looked in the mirror and clawed at her own face. That bulge of purple scar tissue was from her fingernails which dug so deep that she needed a handful of stitches. She never wanted to explain that she tried to pull her own face away and make room for something better, I had to read it in a journal with scraps of her mind inside.

I never really knew Polly; she never really wanted me to. She didn’t want anyone to. But I did know a girl once. She was crazy, and I was too. 

© 2013 Katie Marie


Author's Note

Katie Marie
I like crazy people

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Crazy people are people with crazy stuffs doing crazy things but learning the reason why they are like that is surprising but amazing.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
1 Review
Added on September 16, 2013
Last Updated on September 16, 2013

Author

Katie Marie
Katie Marie

ACT, ACT, Australia



About
I’m Katie. I hate my name, it sounds like the name of a toothless hillbilly. I’m eighteen. I’m kind of an a*****e because I love too much and care about very little. I honestly have .. more..

Writing