Mute

Mute

A Story by Katie Marie
"

It's about a seriously disturbed girl who's sadness then forces her to stop talk. She becomes mute which draws the attention of the boy protagonist.

"

I knew this girl once; she never said a word. But I knew so much about her because she let me into her world, despite how much she didn’t want to. I was persistent, I suppose, but I saw the marks upon her skin, the bulging purple scars which peaked out of her sleeve, and the line along her thigh made of scabbing little circles, the size of all her cigarettes. I had to know why she never spoke and the reasons behind her skin; you would too if you were captivated by someone’s smile and the way they bow their head as they’re scribbling on their leg. I saw the words she wrote; one day there was nothing but ‘shut up’ written over again, covering every inch of her skin from her hem until her knee. I thought it might be poetry, every other day. So I asked for a lighter on a still and sunny day, she wore a woolen sweater and I thought how she must feel having to hide her arms away today. She gave me the light and walked where I couldn’t see. I tried and tried again until she gave me this look, and I knew she wouldn’t dare give me a chance if I didn’t assure her I was genuine; so I told her about the night three months ago when I clung to bridge railings, the cold wind on my face as I thought about that night when my car spun off the road, and how ready I was to end my life just as I took that women’s who was only trying to get home. 

She took a drag and smiled, passing me her notes which she kept wrapped inside a note book with a piece of leather string. I read the conversations she’d heard around her and written down. In the margins were comments she made herself because it was the closest she could do to being part of the conversations too. I read through every page before I settled upon the one which answered all my questions about her silence and her scars. A piece of her died when she heard her mother scream as her life came to an end on an a dark and almost empty road. And she clung onto her phone, screaming for her mum to talk to her again; begging for it. Without a reply, she walked out of her room; thinking of why her mum was rushing home, why she had every night for weeks. Because she didn’t want to be late like she had done sometime before to find her daughter bleeding on the bathroom floor; all wounds self inflected and her life hanging by a thread. Her voice failed in an instance, that was nine months ago. And she knew there was no coming back, not without her forgetting about those nights and her mum. And she thought she’d rather be mute than forget about her pain. She liked the pain, it was the last thing her mum felt - pain. 

I knew this girl once; she never said a word. She let me into her world because I let her into mine. But her world was her mother; I killed her but didn’t know. 

© 2013 Katie Marie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow! I like the idea behind the story! Maybe describe the boy protagonist a little more.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
1 Review
Added on September 17, 2013
Last Updated on September 17, 2013
Tags: love, compassion, sadness, boy, girl, mute, depression

Author

Katie Marie
Katie Marie

ACT, ACT, Australia



About
I’m Katie. I hate my name, it sounds like the name of a toothless hillbilly. I’m eighteen. I’m kind of an a*****e because I love too much and care about very little. I honestly have .. more..

Writing