Why I write 'and why others might also'

Why I write 'and why others might also'

A Story by john
"

I give a little insight to what made me want to write and the writing process itself for me.

"

To sum up my philosophy on writing this quote by Mark Twain certainly does it justice

“Write what you know.”- Mark Twain


That is the key to really having any fun or enjoyment out of writing and as a collateral effect of this is a Superior product. This is largely in part due to the fact you have so much material to base it off of. Your life is a pretty big base of material is it not?  

This is not supposed to be a guide on how to write and is certainly not a course on writing, but I always keep that in mind and never try to write something too deep or out of realm of knowledge why do you think the best writers do research on a topic extensively before they write it.

 For example Truman Capote wrote a book called in Cold Blood but the book itself isn't the point here the point is the amount of research that he put in to make this book he literally moved to the clutter house to get a better idea of what it was like. He also talked extensively to the criminals to get their thoughts on their actions this overall makes a better story because he is able to put in more details. If he had just written about the case from what he got from a newspaper article or some other form of research it would have been much less thorough.

To me that is one of the most important ideas in my canon of writing I would take this over a philosophical concept or a lot of action because it means more to you and it means more to the reader.

© 2014 john


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is my guiding rule, also, and those who don't abide by it or else do a lot research are easily spotted. I knew some famous author had said this, but didn't remember who. Good ol' Sam--I should've known.

Posted 9 Years Ago


very interesting, John. thanks for posting.
I've had Capote's "in cold blood" for some time, regularly shoving it on the back burner and favouring others. now you piqued my curiosity and I'll definitely get it as soon as I finish the one I'm reading currently. thanks again.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 21, 2013
Last Updated on July 28, 2014
Tags: writing nonfiction prose

Author

john
john

Austin, TX



Writing
Broken Broken

A Poem by john


Cracks Cracks

A Poem by john


To friends To friends

A Poem by john