Harold the Snake

Harold the Snake

A Story by Diana Wolf (Jacqueline Stone)

There once was a cute little snake named Harold. He slithered through the jungle saying “Hello” to all his friends as he passed by. One day, he came across Martin Mouse looking into the tallest tree, looking very concerned. Harold stopped at his side and asked, “What’s wrong Martin?”

“I think there is someone in the tree, but I’m not sure, so I’m waiting to hear or see them.”

“Why don’t you climb the tree to see if someone is there?”

“Oh, I don’t want to invade on their space, if someone is there.” Martin squeaked, still staring at the tree in question.

Harold thought for a moment then asked “Why not yell up instead, to stay out of their space?”

“Oh, I couldn’t do that. I don’t think my voice could make it to the top.” He replied shyly.

“Hmm, why not look from a neighboring tree, so you aren’t in the same tree?” Harold asked.

“Well, what if they can fly and I scare them, then they scare me, and I fall out of the tree. Doesn’t sound like a safe plan to me.” replied Martin.

“I guess it’s possible,” said Harold.

After sitting beside Martin thinking for a bit, Harold decided his curiosity was too strong, so he turned to Martin and said, “What if I went up to see if someone is up there?”

Martin responded, “What if you lie to me? What if you just say what you think I want to hear because you want me to move on?”

“I guess someone could do that, but I am going to go see what it is.” Harold said. He slithered past Martin and started heading up the tree. Martin never took his attention off the canopy.

Half way up Harold wondered what if it is something scary? Would it be safer to go back down and climb another tree? He paused for a bit before deciding if he was going to climb. He was going to make sure he could see it. So he climbed higher. When he thought, This is really high. Why do I even care? He stopped again to ponder this, and decided he wanted to know for himself what was in this tree. He climbed even higher and just before he hit the canopy, Harold stopped again. This time truly afraid of what he might find. He stayed there just outside of the canopy looking at the over lapping leaves. His nerves stiffened as he stared at them. I could just turn around; I don’t need to know what this is. These thoughts floated through his head as he stared at these leaves, growing in strength and noise level. He closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and plunged through those leaves. 

© 2019 Diana Wolf (Jacqueline Stone)


Author's Note

Diana Wolf (Jacqueline Stone)
I believe there are two font sizes, but I can't figure out how to fix it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
Added on December 7, 2018
Last Updated on July 31, 2019

Author

Diana Wolf (Jacqueline Stone)
Diana Wolf (Jacqueline Stone)

About
I am a young writer. I was reluctant to call myself a writer at first, but now I write for myself and for certain ones I have decided to share them here and on patreon under Shower Thought Writing. I .. more..

Writing