Is This A Dream?

Is This A Dream?

A Story by Jaelyn Friesen
"

This short story is one that I wrote quite a while ago. It's a story about how Alex tries to survive an apocalyptic world all the while trying to keep his family alive. Can he do it?

"

Alex awoke with a jolt. “Alex, get up!” His mom shouted. He sensed the panic in her tone, and ran to where she was. He located the terrified voice in the kitchen. His mom was packing a bag with canned food and knives. “What's going on?” Alex asked. His mom turned to him. “Your dream.. it came true.” Alex froze in his steps. “No.. No!” He cried.


*A few days earlier*

Growls came from outside Alex's window as he slowly regained consciousness. Judith, his little sister, ran into his room, and onto his bed with minimal struggle. “Alex! Mommy said we have to stay inside today. There are more monsters than usual.” Alex carefully peered out of his window. He saw Mrs. Grimes, the old woman who used to give him cookies on his birthday. He saw Malcom and Maggie, the twins who lived next door, and he saw Roy, his best friend. They were all out there, walking and growling, feeding off of anything live that crossed their path. They were dead. There had been a huge outbreak of a “cold” that everyone caught. Eleven kids were missing from Alex's classes everyday. One morning, no one showed up. The school was closed and there was a sign on the door that read “Everyone is dead. Go home and don’t get bit. If you get attacked by a walker, stab it in the head. It kills the brain.” And now here he was, stranded in his house with his family. Alex shut the window, and went downstairs only to be greeted with his parents stacking furniture up against the door. The walkers were pounding on the door and growling viciously. “We gotta go!” Alex shouted. “We can't stay here, they’ll break through eventually. Come on!” “Alex, this is our home. We can't leave.” His mother sweetly responded. “We're gonna die, Terra. We have to leave!” His dad agreed. Just then, the walkers broke through the door. “Go!” Alex's mom shouted. Alex, and his dad ran out of the front door with Judith. When they turned around to make sure that his mom was right behind them, they heard a shriek. The walkers had gotten Alex's mom. “No!” Alex cried. “Mom! No!” “Alex! It's okay, I'm okay!” Alex shot up and pulled his mom into a tight hug.” It's okay, it was just a nightmare.” His mom said in an act of comfort.


Go pack a few things for you and Judith, we're getting out of here. Your dad is getting the car packed with as much gas and ammunition as he can find. When he get's back, we're gone. Hurry!” Alex frantically ran upstairs, grabbed two bags, and packed one with his stuff and one with Judith's. When he was finished, he curiously looked outside. His dad was back, but he wasn't himself. He had, very obviously, been mauled by walkers. His neck had a huge gash in it, and his stomach was exposed. “Dad.. Dad!” He screamed as tears ran down his cheeks. “Why is this happening? Why?!” His mom heard the noise, so she hurried up the stairs. “Alex, what's going on, Hun?” Alex couldn't get himself to speak. He pointed at the window and cried. “Mom, dad's gone.” His mom fell to her knees as she looked away from the horrific sight. “Alex, do you know what is happening? Do you know what this is?” He cried into his hands. “No. No, I don't. But I know that this sucks.” Just then growls began to sound, slowly getting closer and closer. Alex looked over at his mom. She stared right back at him with her worried, dark blue eyes. The growls weren't from her. “Judith, honey?” His mom called out in desperation, and hope that her little girl hadn't become a flesh-eating monster. Judith hobbled into the room. She was a walker. “NOO!” Alex screamed as loud as he could, and as if he had scared himself, he shot up in a sitting position. Alex looked at his Alarm clock. 3:48am was the time. He frantically rushed over to his blinds and tore them open. The street was empty. All that was on it was the glow from the street lights. His door creaked open and Alex jumped in fear. “Dad? Are you okay?” “I'm fine, Alex. Why were you screaming?” Alex cautiously walked towards his father. “I had a nightmare. Everyone died in an apocalypse.” His dad walked over to Alex, pulled him into a hug, and chuckled a quiet chuckle. “You, my son, have been watching way too much of The Walking Dead. It'll never happen. It's a fake show. Zombies, or whatever the kids these days call them, they're mythical creatures.” He released Alex. “You do know that, right?” Alex smiled. “Yes, Dad. Duh.” “Good, now go to sleep, you'll be fine.” He walked out of the room closing Alex's door. “Goodnight Alex.” He said when the door was 3/4th's of the way closed. “Night.” Alex faintly replied as his door clicked shut. He laid back down in his bed thinking about what his dad said. Alex laughed softly. “He's right. It'll never happen.” He closed his eyes, and began to fall asleep, but just before he gave in, he heard a slight groan from outside of his window.. Was his Dad right after all?

© 2015 Jaelyn Friesen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
Added on November 18, 2015
Last Updated on November 18, 2015
Tags: thewalkingdead, fiction, shortstory

Author