Dark Child

Dark Child

A Story by justbreathe1020
"

First few chapters of a story Im writing

"

Chapter 1

 

She was beautiful, and odd, that’s why I chose her. May 26th was when it all began. It arrived on her doorstep on May 22nd, but she didn’t notice it for a few days. It was 8 o’clock on May 26th when she finally brought it inside.

 

 

Chapter 2

 

Looking back to that day it seems impossible, living such a normal life, completely oblivious to what was out there. I remember coming home from work pretty late; as I was unlocking the door I noticed a small box near my feet. I grabbed it as the door swung open and Edgar, my cat, met me excitedly. I’ve always liked dark things, that’s why I’d bought Edgar, he was all black, or maybe it was just my attempt to worsen my already bad luck. I set the package on the counter and inspected it. This wasn’t like the normal brown package you get from UPS, first of all, it was a dark blue color, second it had no stamp, no address, whoever wanted me to get this delivered it by hand. I knew it couldn’t be a gift from family or friends, given that I had none.  I was given up for adoption as a baby. When I was two; I was adopted but 3 years later both my foster parents died in a car crash. As far as friends go, my luck hasn’t been great. It’s not that I have trouble making them, its that like my parents; my friends seem to be prone to death. When I was five my best friend and her family were on vacation when there plain crashed. The next person to croak was my high school boyfriend. We were both 17, his heart just stopped, no warning, no explanation. The wooden box creaked open. The hinges stuck, the packaging certainly wasn’t new. I’ve had my theories as to why that box was delivered to me, but I don’t think I’ll ever really know.

 

 

Chapter 3

 

The flashy wrapping really wasn’t necessary, but I knew it would catch her attention. I couldn’t take the chance of her ignoring my present. She was the only one who could do this job. Inside that little blue box was a metal symbol, that symbol was the key.  When she picked it up, I knew, I could feel myself getting closer to the other side. The next step was to get her to the door.

 

 

Chapter 4

 

It was a strange shape, one I’d never seen before. The charm was small, but heavy, it must have been made out of some precious metal. Thinking back now I probably should have just pawned it and made a few bucks, but I’m unfortunately curious, so I put the dumb thing in my pocket. I had gone to work at 5 o’clock that morning and got home sometime around 8, that’s 15 hours in an office with no windows. I’m usually not one for any more exercise than is absolutely necessary, but because of the long day inside, I decided to take a walk. I slipped on my shoes and with the key in my pocket I walked out the door. I live in a small village on the east shore of Scotland. It’s a grey town whose main export is wool, which means a whole lot of sheep farms. I’d always loved walking through the old fields near my house, they seem like they go on forever. About thirty minutes into my walk I came across an old farmhouse. I’d walked through that field at least twenty times since I’d moved to Scotland, and not once had I noticed that house. Normally I would have walked right past the little stone shack, there were tons of them around here, but there was something strange about this one, the door. Like every other farmhouse in those parts, it was falling to pieces; the stones that made it were beginning to crumble. Every thing about the house looked ancient, except the door. The shiny red door was a total contrast to the old grey stone. What was especially strange about the door though, was the shallow cutout where the door nob should have been. I walked towards the building and pushed the door, but it didn’t budge. I ran my fingers over the cutout and felt a sense familiarity about the shape. Under further examination I realized it was the same shape as the metal talisman in my pocket. I pulled out the charm and brought it up to the door. Just as I was about to file the event in the amazing coincidences folder, the metal went flying from my hand towards the cutout. 

© 2013 justbreathe1020


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on December 13, 2013
Last Updated on December 13, 2013
Tags: fantasy, dark, narrative

Author

justbreathe1020
justbreathe1020

New Haven, CT



About
I love fantasy but I'll read anything. I'm just starting to get into writing so forgive me if it is bad more..