Summer Gone - Act 1, Scene 1

Summer Gone - Act 1, Scene 1

A Stage Play by Jeremy
"

Travis and John are approached in the mall.

"

ACT 1, SCENE 1

CURTAIN OPENS ON A MALL FOOD COURT. TWO BOYS ARE SITTING AT A TABLE TALKING WHILE OTHER PEOPLE SIT AND TALK AT TABLES AROUND THEM. THE NOISE OF ECHOED CONVERSATIONS AND LAUGHTER CAN BE HEARD IN THE BACKGROUND.

ONE BOY [JOHN] IS AN ATTRACTIVE, ATHLETIC TEEN. HE WEARS AN IRONED BUTTON DOWN SHIRT AND JEANS, AND HAS VERY STYLISH HAIR. THE OTHER BOY [TRAVIS] IS SOMEWHAT RUNDOWN-OVERWEIGHT AND WEARING FADED CLOTHES; A BAGGY HOODIE AND KHAKIS. THEY ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF A SPIRITED CONVERSATION. TRAVIS IS SAYING SOMETHING THAT IS MAKING JOHN LAUGH A LOT. THEY ARE APPROACHED BY TWO OTHER TEENS [TIM AND AMBER] HOLDING CLIPBOARDS. BOTH ARE ATTRACTIVE AND DRESSED IN PREPPY, STYLISH CLOTHES. TIM AND AMBER STAND ON THE SIDE OF THE TABLE FACING JOHN, THEIR BACKS TURNED TO TRAVIS TO PURPOSEFULLY IGNORE HIM.


Amber [interrupting]: Hey, your name is John right?


John [smiling and intrigued]: Yes it is.


Tim: Hey man, how’s it going? I’m Tim, this is Amber. We just wanted to come by and say hi.


[TRAVIS, IRRITATED, EYES THEM AND CONTINUES EATING]


John [still smiling]: Oh, uh…okay. Hi.


Amber: Well, that, and also, um...we wanted to ask if you had a job right now.


John: Why?


Tim: Well we work over at SunBodies, the tanning place across from Ritchie's Cupcakes, and we’re holding open interviews right now.


John: Oh, gotcha. Yeah, I’m not really…


Amber [CUTTING HIM OFF]: The thing is - we get a bonus if we refer someone and they get hired. Right now we’re really only looking for fun and attractive people [TRAVIS PUTS HIS FORK DOWN AND CROSSES HIS ARMS, HIS FACE IN A PERPLEXED EXPRESSION] who want to spend the summer working with other fun, attractive people.


Tim: Right! Not only that, its $12.50 starting, which is better than a lot of the other stores in the mall, and you get a 20% discount on all tanning lotions and sunglasses. It’s pretty awesome man, and I’ll tell ya, so many hot girls come in all day. It’s a great place to meet people.


Amber [ANNOYED]: Not to mention some of the girls you’d be working with.


[TRAVIS STARTS TO QUIETLY LAUGH BEHIND TIM AND AMBER, MAKING JOHN SMILE WIDER. HE NODS TO TRAVIS, AS IF TO ASK WHAT HE THINKS. TRAVIS HUMOROUSLY SHAKES HIS HEAD NO. TIM AND AMBER ABRUPTLY TURN TO LOOK AT TRAVIS WHO QUICKLY LOOKS TO THE SIDE, PRETENDING TO BE FOCUSING ON SOMETHING ELSE]


John: Well listen, I wasn’t really looking for a job right now, but thanks anyway.


Amber [PERSISTENTLY]: I totally get it, but what if you just let our manager call you for a phone interview, just to help us out? You could tell him you changed your mind or whatever, but I think you might actually change your mind after talking to him.


[JOHN LOOKS AGAIN AT TRAVIS WHO SHRUGS HIS SHOULDERS]


John: Alright, sure, no problem. [TAKES THE CLIPBOARD AND STARTS TO FILL IN HIS INFO. LOOKS AT AMBER] Have you been working there for long?


Amber: Yeah, a couple months now, yeah. It’s been awesome so far.


John: I bet. [HOLDS THE CLIPBOARD OUT TO TIM]


Travis: Hey, let me see that man? [TAKES THE CLIPBOARD FROM JOHN AS TIM AND AMBER LOOK CONFUSED. HE STARTS TO WRITE HIS INFORMATION DOWN AS JOHN LOOKS AT HIM, SURPRISED] $12.50, that’s not too bad. Yeah man, I’m down for that! [HE CARELESSLY TOSSES THE CLIPBOARD BACK TO TIM]


Tim: Right, um…okay. [TURNING BACK TO JOHN] So I’ll make sure my boss gives you a ring and hopefully everything works out.


John: Alright, cool. Thanks. [TO AMBER] See you soon, huh?

AMBER [enticed] Yeah…yeah, definitely. Come by the shop, check it out when you get the chance. [AMBER AND TIM START TO WALK AWAY].


Travis [to Tim]: Yeah, tell your boss to call me anytime. Lookin’ forward to working with you man!


[TIM FROWNS, TURNS AND WALKS AWAY. AMBER WALKS BACKWARDS SMILING AND STILL LOOKING AT JOHN, THEN TURNS AND FOLLOWS TIM. AS THEIR BACKS ARE TURNED, TRAVIS QUICKLY FLIPS THEM OFF]


John [TURNS TO FACE TRAVIS, LAUGHING]: That was weird, haha.


Travis [grinning]: Seriously, what the hell was that? [THEY BOTH LAUGH] They literally just walked up and pretended I wasn’t here. I didn’t think s**t like that happened in real life. I guess I just wasn’t attractive enough.


John: No, I don’t think that was it. I think you just aren’t fun enough.


Travis [laughing]: Okay. At least we might both get jobs out of it. [THEY SMILE AND CONTINUE TO EAT FOR A MOMENT] So what’s the plan, man? Are we going to Sean’s tomorrow or what?


John: Yeah, that’s what he said. His dad’ll be out, so we’re just gonna do something there. I don’t know; he mentioned doing a cookout or something, you know? We can get some steaks and some beers by the pool?


Travis: Yeah, that’ll be good. I haven’t had a relaxing time in a while. You think Sonya will be life-guarding tomorrow?


John [laughing]: Maybe. I don’t know dude, you might’ve scared her off.


Travis: What? No way; I was nothing but charming. You gotta know how to talk to these girls. [GESTURES TO THE REST OF THE MALL]


John [putting a finger up, as if to say "one moment"]: First, she’s nine years older than you. Second, you threatened to beat up her brother.


[THEY BOTH LAUGH]


Travis: Not exactly. She was trying to tell me that being with me would be like being with her little brother. I was merely pointing out that I’m of a more mature mind than he is…probably.


John [doing an impression of Travis]: “Where is he?! I’ll kick his a*s!” [THEY BOTH BURST OUT LAUGHING] You’re f****n’ crazy dude.


Travis: Oh well, haha. Alright, I’m gonna head out in a second to catch the bus.

John: Do you want me to give you a ride? It’s no problem?

Travis: No, I appreciate it, but it’s cool man. That’s out of the way for you and I got some reading to do anyways.

John: Alright dude. So tomorrow, Sean’s?

Travis: Yeah, definitely. Do you know who else’ll be there?

John: Uh…I think Kyle, maybe Mike if he’s not working, and Adam and Michele.

Travis [Upset]: Ugh, really? Adam’s gonna be there?


John: What’s the problem?

Travis: Isn’t he like 20 or something? He’s still in f****n’ high school!

John [smiling]: I think he’s 19.

Travis: Yeah, and Michele’s younger me; it’s just creepy dude.

John: I don’t know, he’s not that bad.

Travis [getting his garbage together]: Ah, whatever, I don’t really care I guess. [STANDS UP TO LEAVE] Alright bro, I’ll talk to you later. Let me know if I should bring anything.

John: Call up Sean and ask him. I think he and Mike were gonna grab everything.

Travis: Alright man, later. [They shake hands and Travis begins to walk away. He turns and points to John. He raises his voice for people around them to hear.] You sir are one fun and attractive person. Don't you forget it, ever bro!


[JOHN LAUGHS AGAIN AND GOES BACK TO FINISHING HIS MEAL]

© 2018 Jeremy


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

51 Views
Added on March 9, 2018
Last Updated on March 18, 2018
Tags: Adolescence, Summer, Teenagers, Nostalgia

Author

Jeremy
Jeremy

Albany, NY



About
I am 30 years old and I am about to have my first child. I've always wanted to be a writer, but it wasn't until recently that I've tried to develop the discipline for it. I want to share my writing fo.. more..

Writing
Youth Youth

A Poem by Jeremy