On the Run

On the Run

A Story by Daisy
"

A brief story about a girl's internal struggles after a break up.

"

    Amber ran. The brown autumn leaves crumbled beneath every step. There was a rush of cold wind that seduced her body into wanting more, more air, more coldness. Drops of cold sweat trickled down her chin as she huffed exasperatedly and her cold blue eyes produced tears that tasted of hate. Her body had given up she was exhausted, her arms flared out in desperation, but her legs continued to run. Just as she was running when Mark and her first locked eyes on the track field as she raced to the finish line and came in first place. He stood like a ghost slim and pale behind a cheering crowd that sporadically screamed her name. It was when she glided through the red ribbon and her friends and family rushed over to congratulate her that she glanced over at the crowd that had seemed to disappear leaving only one lonely boy smiling and clapping just for her. There was a rush of adrenaline that consumed her body as she was lifted off her feet and dubbed champion. After the excitement had died down, Mark seemed to find his way through the crowd and stood over her 5'6 stature and put out his hand for a handshake.
    "Congratulations Amber," he spoke amongst the noise. She smiled tenderly at him, not being aware of the fact that a complete stranger knew her name.
    "Thank you...," she patiently awaited his response.
    "I'm Mark, I know this may sound kind of sudden but what do you say about me taking you out for a congratulatory lunch date?" His voice was confident. She smiled once more at him, this time taking notice of his silky golden hair. She accepted despite his evil grin.
    But now branches tore as Amber stomped through the forest not realizing the damage she was causing to her legs which endured the brush of sharp shrubs cutting through skin. She could feel the blood seeping down her legs and soaking her now red socks. But Amber continued to run.  Just as she ran when Mark took her hand in his and asked her to be his girlfriend after their date at a picnic completely arranged by him. She remembered him plucking a dandelion from the ground and blowing it on to her face and as they laughed at the mess that had become her hair filled with the fluffy seed balls, he ran his hands through her hair pulling it out of the way as he leaned in to kiss her. A tender, magical kiss that sent her body to ecstasy, a high that she could not even shake off by running. Yet Amber continued to run, she ran through the words I love you forever and she ran through the three years they spent together. She ran across the bruises he'd left on her physically and mentally and she ran past the times they'd made love in her parent's bedroom.
    Amber ran until her hair scrunchy gave out and exposed a sea of long golden brown hair. The wind grew more powerful and each gust of wind became a blow to her stomach. As were the blows Amber received when Mark told her that he no longer wanted anything to do with her and that he had moved on, so she had to as well. Amber could barely see the gray sky emerging from within the trees but she could clearly hear the thunder that roared for every moment of her life she had spent with Mark.
    Droplets of rain began to fall that soon became waves of rain and showered every inch of Amber's body. Each drop felt like a stinging sensation of pain and pleasure at the same time. As the ground became muddy, Amber slowed down her tracks and eventually came to a stop. She peered up into the pouring sky that gave full blast and then collapsed on the scene, hand and knees dug in to the murky wet soil, her head huddled into her stomach, the blood and dirt flowed away from her legs. She'd finally stopped running long enough to wash out her poisonous love.

© 2010 Daisy


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Loved it! I love the fact that it started with her running, and then ended with her collapsing. It has a nice effect and I can relate to it, sadly enough.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

48 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 27, 2010
Last Updated on January 27, 2010

Author

Daisy
Daisy

New York City, NY



About
I'm 17. I write when I'm inspired. I think its the best way for me to express myself, however, I hope to get much better with my writing someday. I do it just as a hobby. more..

Writing