Oreithyia and The Swans

Oreithyia and The Swans

A Story by Kaja
"

This is a spin-off of a Celtic myth i heard about... thoughts?

"

Oreithyia and the Swans


Long ago there was a Goddess of Dreams, a Goddess of Covet, a Goddess of Cold, and a God of Youth, Beauty, and Love. The story goes that The Goddess of Covet, Covela, was tall, beautiful, and had the prettiest eyes on Mt. Olympus. One day, she saw the God of Youth, Agleus, walking on a dirt road and instantly fell in love. Agleus was muscular and a symbol of beauty. He liked her, but he knew deep down they weren't meant for each other. They spent decades together, and Covela was happy.

One day, Agleus was wandering a plain, searching for the perfect bouquet of flowers for his lover. It was so peaceful, Agleus decided he would lay in the flowers and take a brief nap. In this nap, he dreamt of a swan. The swan spoke to him and said, "Come find me, My Love." And then, the graceful swan morphed into the most beautiful Goddess Agleus had ever seen. He was captured under her beauty. Her hair was long and silky white, and her lips looked as if they were made of velvet. He woke up and no time had passed. The flowers in his hand dropped to the ground and he went on his way.

Agleus searched every swamp and pond in the world, soon getting discouraged when she was nowhere to be found. He kept searching for days, and went over the same ponds again and again. Finally, he stopped to rest in Europe at a boat dock next to the Black Sea. He was looking at the water when he saw a faint white speck in the distance, slowly getting closer. Eventually, the speck was close enough to see the it was the white swan Agleus had been searching for for so long. The swan swam up to the dock, and turned into Caer, the Goddess he saw in his dream. She told him she was the Goddess of Dreams and Sleep. When Agleus expressed his love for her, she turned him into a swan so they could always be together.

Both as swans, they flew Northwest to an island near the top of the world. Through the cold mist and snow, they envisioned this island as a place they would make their home.  So they put the island into a deep sleep for 3 days and 3 nights. During that time, they sauntered about the island, turning the cold, dark island into a green, youthful forrest. The island was beautiful, and they were ready to start their life there.

Watching over them was a possessive goddess by the name of Oreithyia. The island they were dabbling on belonged to her, and the thought of them destroying its cold, icy beauty enraged her. She was pondering ways of trying to stop them, and suddenly a miracle happened for her. There was a knock at her palace door. The woman said she was a Goddess herself, that went by the name of Covela. Covela asked Oreithyia if she was the oracle she had been looking for, and she took the opportunity to loiter into this poor girl’s quarrels. She poured her story onto Oreithyia, and soon realized she was involved with the two muttonheads that were on her island! The gears turned in Oreithyia’s head, and within seconds had a plan that would get her her island back.

Covela wanted more than anything to know if her lover was okay, and was desperately waiting for the oracle in her presence to tell her. “My dear Covela,” Oreithyia spoke. “your lover, he is on an island with another woman. The island was cold and icy, but they are making it fresh and green to symbolize their love.” Covela was devoured by her own fury and obsession over Agleus. She did not want to let him go, and could not let him be happy with anyone else but her.

Covela thought about what she would do to get their lives to unravel. So Covela travelled to a Goddess she thought could help her. She knocked on the palace door. “Oreithyia?” The deceiving Goddess of Cold answered her door to see the same girl standing before her as just a few hours ago. Again, Covela spilled her quarrel unto Oreithyia, with no awareness that she already had. Oreithyia, with a plan already in mind, told Covela what she must do. “You must covet Agleus to leave the island, with no trace of why he left, and of no awareness of where he is going.” Covela agreed, as long as he would no longer be with Caer.

Agleus awoke from his midnight slumber flying in an unknown region. His confusion and guilt ate at him when he finally realized what he had done. He was in the middle of the ocean, who KNOWS how far away from the love of his life. With this in mind, he dove head-first into the sea below him, and died.

Oreithyia’s plan had succeeded. Agleus was dead, he could not dawdle on her precious land ever again. Now, all that was left to do was finish out what she started.

When Caer awakened, she thought that her love had used her and left her to be all alone. She was furious, and went to the Goddess of Cold, Oreithyia, for help. Caer wanted her to turn the island icy and cold, and for there to be no speck of green on the island for all eternity in exchange for whatever Oreithyia wanted. Oreithyia agreed in less than the blink of an eye, and took Caer's life as her end of the deal. In Caer's last moment's of life, she named the island Greenland, so that everyone that goes there is tricked into thinking the island will be such a beautiful place, just like Agleus tricked her into thinking he loved her.


THE END










© 2016 Kaja


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
Added on February 10, 2016
Last Updated on February 10, 2016
Tags: myth, swan, greenland, greek, celtic

Author

Kaja
Kaja

overland park, KS



About
Probably just felt creative and started writing haha! well i am in my teens and tell myself i don't like school but deep down i really do (: I am obsessed with Supernatural btw more..

Writing
The Shelter The Shelter

A Story by Kaja