5 Foolproof Ways to Engage Students in the Classroom

5 Foolproof Ways to Engage Students in the Classroom

A Story by Kalee Raisor
"

Every teacher dreams of having students who are openly engaging in classroom discussions - students who are excited to come to class to learn and not just get the grades.

"

Students who have the attitude and capacity to perform to the best of their potential. To put it simply, teachers want their students to be part of the flow. The flow is that feeling of becoming too engrossed and interested in an activity, when time just seems to fly by so fast. Are you looking for foolproof ways that will help foster an engaging environment in your classroom? Then here are 5 top tips that you can use in your classroom.


Foster a challenging and fun learning environment

One of the most crucial factors for flow to happen is a challenge. If you want to engage your students, you need to create a challenge that they would gladly take on. Make sure that the challenge is fun, so that they really invest thought and time into it. Level should match your students’ abilities, or else they’ll just give up. You need to find the sweet spot when fostering a learning environment. One that pushes them to think outside the box, while having fun.


Allow students to make choices

Another important thing that you need to consider is choice. Studies show that students who are given the opportunity to make choices, will have more enthusiasm with their tasks. When they’re given the chance to choose their activities, they don’t just develop decisiveness, but initiative as well. They are able to produce higher quality work that they can be proud of because they’re given the freedom to go about their tasks exactly how they want.


Assign practical assignments

Even if it’s done outside the classroom, assignments can also play a crucial role in ensuring that your students are engaged in your discussion. When students understand the connection between the classroom activity and an assignment, it’s easier for them to relate to it, resulting to better absorption and full engagement. The key is to assign homework that they’ll deem to be practical in their lives. If they see that they can relate to the assignment, they’re more likely to be more responsible over it.


Set clear attainable goals for each student

You should also set clear goals for your students. Goals don’t just provide the structure, but they can also set the direction for the student’s growth. When you define goals for each of your student, depending on their own interests and skills, you’ll be able to see faster progress. You also need to set aside time for ongoing feedback so that you can assess where progress is with your student. Goal setting should be done during the first few weeks of school so that your students have a whole year ahead of them to achieve them.


Capitalize on positive relationships

Lastly, don’t forget to capitalize on a positive student-teacher relationshipin order to encourage flow in the classroom. It might take time to build it, but  there are things that you can do to make it easier for your students to warm up to you. 

© 2014 Kalee Raisor


Love Me Not
1986, Penny Herrera falls into the predatory clutches of Matt, an older man who has no other intention than to alter Pen
Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
Added on February 28, 2014
Last Updated on February 28, 2014
Tags: teaching, education, classroom

Author