Keep Your Head Down

Keep Your Head Down

A Story by kastillo
"

This a writing exercise. The writing prompt was Write about two people seeing each other for the first time.

"

Writing Prompt: Write about two people seeing each other for the first time

 

              Keep your head down.

              She keeps her eyes steady on a spot just above the center of her vision. Head slightly lowered but not bowing. Not submissive, but not challenging. No chance encounter of eye contact. It’s a habitual position, a safe position. Her umbrella was perched on her shoulder, diverting the down pour. The measly plastic protected her upper half, but below her hip rain was able to make it’s way. The bottom of her pants were soaked with the water coming from the puddles and the rain.

              Only so much protection you can have in a crowded city. A bump from the person shuffling next to her drove the point home, with an extra splash against her leg.

              Keep your head down.

              She shuffles along, the weight of the crowd pushing on every inch of her skin. Her cluttered head of people came to a stop at the cross walk. They all stood caged in this spot, by those surrounding them. No one was truly looking up. Everyone aware of, but not really seeing each other.

              Across the street she saw it. It seemed to be a stark brightness off to the side.

              Keep your head down.

              But she wanted to look, wanted to know. What harm could one glance do? One short gaze, in a lifetime of keeping the status quo.

              Her vision focused on the bright spot in the grey day. Her eyes connected with green. Lightining flashed and in less than a second the city was bright, every detail visible. In the light is was as if she had been in a city of ghost, the only thing she could see was green.

              Green eyes looked back at her. An unmistakable current exchanged when two sets of eyes look into each other at the same time. Her mind said to end the connection, to look was challenging, asking, demanding. She couldn’t. Green eyes didn’t leave her either. Green eyes, his eyes, looked into her. Centuries of recognition flooded her. Lives lived together, lives fighting each other, love and hate, elation and despair, passed in an unseen current from her to him and him to her. Time stretched in both directions for them, going for eternity forward and back.

              The lighting faded, the world darkened and the city returned. Her eyes had not moved, yet she saw stranger’s eyes now. Her mind told her she had never met this man.

              Her herd pushed her along, crossing the street into the puddles. Eyes stayed connected to each other as she moved. Had he seen it? Had he felt it? A hundred lives all shared in the strike of lighting.

              She neared closer.

              Was he a stranger? Was he her past? Could he be her future? Did he see it too?

              They drew closer, a step apart. A word, someone just had to speak a word. Time slowed, forever to make the choice. Eternity to say something laid out before them. She only had to speak…

              A bump from behind pushed her forward, disconnecting her eyes from him. The world speed to right itself. She moved her eyes downward, steady to a spot above the center of her vision. Neither submissive nor challenging.

              Keep your head down.

© 2015 kastillo


Author's Note

kastillo
I have not written in awhile. This is an exercise to get me back into writing and not meant to be well polished. While I appreciate reviews and criticism, try to keep it friendly.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

190 Views
Added on May 13, 2015
Last Updated on May 13, 2015

Author