moon boy

moon boy

A Story by november
"

i was so in love with a dear friend of mine back in march it was so bad lol

"

It’s you.

My god, it’s always been you.

I spent so long conjuring up romances in my head, crafting the perfect love story, that I didn’t notice the one happening right in front of me. I didn’t notice how quickly I’d fallen for you until I was tumbling head over heels, no coffee strong enough to pull me from my love-drunk state. 

When I finally realized what had happened, it tore me apart from the inside out in the lightest way possible. A gentle unravelling, neither good nor bad. As much as I wanted to cry, to hate you, I couldn’t. God, I could never hate you.

You’re so perfect in the most flawed ways I’ve ever come to know, but you make it work. 

I always wondered what it would be like to have truly unrequited love. The kind of heartache nothing can fix, because you never stood a chance against fate. The kind of love that was ripped away before you had a chance to feel it. 

Nothing can make “us” work, and the universe only pulls us further apart each time we take a step towards each other. Perhaps we’re destined to be star-crossed, or nothing at all. Our love story is one of one-sided requiems for the butterflies in our stomachs. Not much of a love story at all, really. Just depressing. 

Not that you’d know it, though. I hide behind witty banter and dangerously romantic flirting. I feel my heart swoon with the echo of love each time we tell each other “goodnight”, and I feel it fall each time you make an empty, teasing promise. A promise of a confession in french, or swapping hoodies when you come down here for the summer. Forgotten echoes in each “i love you” message exchanged and every tear spent on you.

Je t’aime, mon chéri.

© 2021 november


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

• It’s you

Why...thank you, I think.

• My god, it’s always been you.

Wait...who are you, and what are you accusing me of?

My point? You wrote a letter to someone unknown to the reader, and in it talked about things for which the reader has n context. Sure, when you read it, the image of this person jumps into your mind. But that can the reader make of it? Not a damn thing. That's why we must edit from the seat of a reader who lacks all context we don't provide. Fail that and the reader has words, yes, but they're meaningless.

Here's the deal: In our school days we learned only nonfiction writing techniques, to prepare us for the kind of writing employers need: reports, essays, and letters. But they offer degree programs in Commercial Fiction-Writing. And surely at least some of what's taught is necessary. Right?

So, keep on writing, or course, but while you do, check a few books in the fiction-writing section of the library.



Posted 2 Years Ago


november

2 Years Ago

oh bestie i wrote this like 7 months ago i was trying to cope it wasn’t really supposed to be a go.. read more
JayG

2 Years Ago

In reality, I wasn't commenting on this poem, but your "Let me tell you how I feel," approach to mos.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

51 Views
1 Review
Added on October 13, 2021
Last Updated on October 13, 2021
Tags: love, unrequited, crush, friends, angst

Author

november
november

CO



About
any pronouns junior in high school more..

Writing
my boy my boy

A Poem by november


first love first love

A Story by november