What is college writing?

What is college writing?

A Story by kataylor11
"

my final essay for Comp. 1

"

When you hear the term college writing, what do you think of? I think of a well thought-out, well researched paper that leaves the reader knowing something new and makes them think and question their view of the topic.

One of the main concepts of a college paper is that it requires the writer to think more critical. This means that the writer must not only have a purpose for writing the paper, but know all the sides of the topic. Make sure to find multiple sources for each point of view. Have more sources for those views you don’t agree with. The writer should also have a nice vocabulary, knowing all the words he or she uses in the paper not just writing them. How can you explain your topic if you don’t understand what you are reading in sources or saying in your paper? Know when to use less complicated words in order to make sure the reader understand what you are saying. Don’t just take words out of a dictionary that seem to fit what you are trying to say because they are big and sound important, make sure they fit.

Another main concept of a college paper is to have a thoughtful argument. This means writing about all of the sides of the topic in your paper, making sure to be careful how you word and phrase sentences so you don’t confuse your readers. It helps to “plant a naysayer” or saying how you agree with part of a source, but believe them to be wrong on another part. This gives your readers the sense that you know what you are talking about, not just saying how you feel and that everyone else is wrong unless they agree with you, which will give you more credibility. Make sure that you cover all of the views on the topic so someone can’t undermine what you are saying.

Finally you want to leave your readers with something new learned. If the readers leave thinking and questioning their own views of the topic, then the writer has done his or her job. What is the point of writing if your readers forget what you have written? In order to do this you must take everything you have learned so far and build on it. A home doesn’t just appear. First you have to build a foundation, adding walls and supports as you go. Next you build the roof to keep everything inside dry. Finally you add paint, carpet, furniture, and little things that make a house a home. As a home doesn’t just appear, neither does a paper. You have to start from the beginning and slowly as you keep building on what you know and say, then your thoughts and ideas will be shown to others and hopefully be remembered for years to come.

© 2012 kataylor11


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Too bad i can't write like that. :P

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
1 Review
Added on February 16, 2012
Last Updated on February 16, 2012