Introducing Kates

Introducing Kates

A Story by The Random Writings Of Me..Kates
"

Living with Bi-Polar

"

I have been blogging for quite a while but have never had the courage to talk about my illness. I am Bi-Polar. I have come to accept this long ago, but I have not written much on the subject, at least until now.

 

A little background, I was diagnosed when I was about 18 I am almost 27 now. In the past nine years I have been hospitalized twice, once was just last weekend. I was put on Lithium when I was 18 or 19 and I was not too impressed with the medication, it made me gain weight, and it made my moods flat, I had no emotional range at all. Lithium is great for some people, for me however I didn’t like it so much.

 

I always knew there was something not right, even in high school. My mood would change at the drop of a hat, I would cry over nothing, when I was young, I used to fight people just for the thrill of it, lash out at people, but was unable to understand why people would be angry at me in return. Before I was diagnosed I was put on every anti-depressant that you could think out, none of them worked, in fact they either made me manic, or depressed. Noting seemed to work.

 

Eventually my Doctor decided to try Lithium, my family did not take this well, and It has been an emotional rollercoaster since, in that time I went through one abusive relationship. I was on Lithium for about 2-4 years and then I stopped taking it, so I was on no medication for a while, during that time I was in second abusive relationship. That one really took its’ toll on me, I am still recovering to this day and that relationship ended three years ago. How I survived without medication, I have no idea, I self medicated with alcohol, and sometimes drugs. It was a very difficult time in my life.

 

In the summer of 2006, I had the longest manic episode I have ever had, my parents even questioned If I was using drugs. Then I crashed hard, that is when I decided to get help and deal with everything in my past. This for me has been difficult. I moved away from Denver the city I grew up in and started over, thinking I could run away from my problems. Not the case, you can never run away from your problems, they will always be with you until you deal with them, and even then they will always be with you.

 

I am now back on medication, I have high anxiety and my moods still range quite a bit. I was seeing someone for a year and a half and finally broke it off, sometimes it is too hard for people to deal with my illness, and even I have a hard time. I know that I will never be off medication now; I know that I have to deal with all of my problems. It scares me, because any day the med’s can stop working just as they did a in the last few months, then its back to the drawing board.

 

I am lucky that I have Doctors that work so close with me and that I trust completely. As of now I am feeling stabilized however I do understand that can change at any moment. As for my support, I have friends and family, however I know that it is hard for them as well. Each day is a struggle, but it is also a new day. Living with Bi-Polar you have to take it one day at a time.

 

I do have a lot of good in my life, I have a job I love and am back in school, these changes have been hard on me as well, change no matter how good it is can still throw you into a episode. I am living and that is what is important.

 

 

© 2008 The Random Writings Of Me..Kates


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
O!
It isnt courage that makes u write this....its u now saying that its okay to be the way u are coz u are doing ur best u can given the circumstances....ur illness!
Abusive relationships are relationships u have to get out of right away...and that u did...and that takes courage...coz love can be a strange thing which pulls u back.
THe positive........u have doctors u can trust...u have family and friends who u can fall back on......u havent given up on life and do what any person ur age would..achieve the best for urself. Most important are ur words where u say....dont run away from ur problems....handle them.....i am a very strong believer as far as that goes and i can only tell u to always do that!...moving away is not running away...its making a new start...taking time before u turn back and face ur problems.....
Thank you for sharing this with us. Ure doing good! :-)
x,
O!

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

There is a lot of courage in sharing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thank you for showing a piece of yourself

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The Random Writings Of Me..Kates

11 Years Ago

Thank you! and thank you for taking the time to get to know me :)
I am living and that is what is important.....dont forget that Kates, dont forget your talent and friendship you show to all here on Writers Cafe is very much appreciated. Your a prize asset and we love you.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The Random Writings Of Me..Kates

11 Years Ago

Thank you John! Your friendship is a prize asset to me as well, and your words mean more than you kn.. read more
John Phoenix Hutchinson.

11 Years Ago

(((((hug)))))
The Random Writings Of Me..Kates

11 Years Ago

Back at ya!!
This write has been on my reading list for weeks. I had been going back to it every now and then. I sit, read and pondered. It is not the illness that engrossed me. It is your acceptance of the circumstance which I think may not be very easy for some. In writing this piece, you were telling the world that nothing is impossible. That we are still the master of our own and that little bit inside our head is not us but just a part of us. Yes, it can be very powerful but it can never control our lives.

This is very inspiring and very real. And again you fearlessly have showed a part of you to the world and I very much admire your strength. I do hope that this is no longer taking the wheel my dear and that you have tamed the beast back to its cage. You are definitely one of a kind:) love yah!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The Random Writings Of Me..Kates

11 Years Ago

Haven't you ever read the book Green eggs and Ham by Dr. Suess? It's a great childrens book! You can.. read more
Androglossia

11 Years Ago

I just did before I posted my reply:) I just didn't think you were really referring it to Dr. Suess'.. read more
The Random Writings Of Me..Kates

11 Years Ago

lol, yes :)
I had a girlfriend who was Bi-Polar and she drove me nuts because she would not take her meds. She was really mean to me. We broke up and then she started taking them... Don't figure right? LOL
Anyway I think it took alot of courage writing this and you did it well.
Thanks for sharing.
Kelley Frost

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

bravo for you. for putting this down on the page. and i'm sorry i took so long getting to it, seeing as you sent me the request... ::sigh::

strangely enough, an old friend of mine called me yesterday and asked me to meet her somewhere to talk, so I did. she has a very very similar story to yours- we talked about bipolar, we talked about her abusive relationships, we talked about the meds and her weight and how everything just exacerbates and it's all such a catch-22. my ex is also bipolar, and it was really tough. and yet hes so creative, and sometimes he messes up his meds just so he can go manic and have a creative streak. because the meds, like you said, just make him so flat and unemotional, and unimpressed with everything.

so yes it's a journey, and every day you grow stronger, and every day you refuse to give in to giving up. :) and that's amazing, and im proud of you. thanks for sharing, and know that you always have a safe place on the page. :) write it out.
big hugs



Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Well, if this wasn't an eye-opener Kate...you very brave girl!!! Awareness is so important and you have created a huge dose of it here. Many have Bi-Polar illness and are self-medicating. It is a big problem in Australia since the Government saw fit to close down all mental disorder fascilities. People are wandering around aimlessly with various anxiety disorders. You are fortunate to have trusted medical care. I believe you are well on the way of overcoming this syndrome because you have been so willing to share your experience. You go you good thing xxx
Congrats on having the guts to stand up and be counted :-)))

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

You write with complete honesty. You don't want pity, you want understanding, and you are lucky to have a family that helps with that. I'm glad that you see that living is important, so many with bipolar disorder just cannot see this, because their illness leaves them incapable of seeing this. I guess that makes you one of the lucky ones right now. You are a strong woman, and an ispiration to those of us who are surviving, and suffering. Well done, I hope this continues for you. XX

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Kates
This is an awesome write...
There is something so empoering about sharing something so intimate and heavy...It can be lifechanging to place it on the table before family and friends.Almost as though you can then say..." Now what" ? nobody can mess with that.

Myself I struggle with ADDHD ...it can be so hard to have people understand the mind I live in I drive my husband and daughters crazy...they call me "Dorrie" - from "Nemo' the Disney movie....lol
With that said...I applaud you with mad Kudos Girl...
All things are possible...

love ya
xoxoxo
Blessssssssss

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Kate, your honesty is amazing and that I admire without doubt. So much you say here is understandable, you have no idea how much I see myself in this story. Quite strangely .... or maybe not so strangely there are many writers that have Bi-Polar, even here on the cafe, and so many times it is diagnosed as depression. Personally the doctors have constantly made that mistake with me, I know my own mind, I know that these highs and lows are not depression. My demon also made my condition worse, and though that ended over a year ago I continually battle the place he put me, once I found solice in vodka ... now, because of the hurt in others eyes, I seek solace inside my own mind, better for them to "think" I am happy. Stay strong, talk and write, and remember you are not alone ..... I added my story to writers cafe once, but Charlies mistake lost it, maybe it should stay lost for a while until I reach a stronger place. Your strength is built from a beautiful heart. Hugs. Mx

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

292 Views
13 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 8, 2008
Last Updated on April 10, 2008

Author

The Random Writings Of Me..Kates
The Random Writings Of Me..Kates

WA



About
*** I am sorry but I have turned RR off at this time, please see below *** The last eight months have brought many challenges in my life. Life has a way of mindfucking you at the moments when ever.. more..

Writing