Consumed

Consumed

A Story by Kate Wing

I walk down the twisting road alone; I huddle into myself as the frost nips at my heels. The world dims into shadows amongst shadows; all light is extinguished from my sight. I shudder as shock sets in and my blood turns to ice. I stagger through life in the darkness, a frozen wind constantly at my back and never a warm thought to enter my mind.

 
A whisper reaches my ears, a persistent sound that triggers no recognition. I shake my mind to rid my ears of the echo and continue my trudge along the dwindling path.
 
The path twists and dwindles to a muddy track that can barely be seen amongst the over grown undergrowth. As I hesitate before taking that step down such an uncertain trail I hold my breath and beg for strength and warmth.
 
I exhale and continue along the path less trodden. I feel the shadows closing in and the blood freezes within my veins. I stop to rest a while to gather strength, withdrawing within myself and the world fades away. Everything fades away, even the cold, all feeling fades. I begin to forget that the cold exists, that the trail exists, that I exist.
 
A tingle starts, a feeling in my shoulder starts and I choke on a breath I forgot to take. I open my eyes and see a look of concern gazing back at me. Your eyes burn me through, I feel me starting to defrost. The ice around my body starts to melt and the heat creeps into my heart. I am captured by your stare and can not escape the heat. It thaws me out and sustains my strength. I crave it so much, your arms reach around me and you hold me tight. I feel the fire course through my body and it becomes more intense, more consuming. I feel myself being consumed and burnt to ash.
 
You hold me at arms length and point me towards the trail. I can not stay in the fire and continue as ash, I must continue down my path and I must heal.
 

© 2009 Kate Wing


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love your descriptiveness and detailed writing. I can see each transgression as if I were there.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 8, 2009

Author

Kate Wing
Kate Wing

DE, Australia



Writing
Waste Waste

A Story by Kate Wing


Treachery Treachery

A Story by Kate Wing