The war has begun

The war has begun

A Story by Ab Gallagher
"

I wrote this after looking at a prompt that said when you talk about war you use the tiniest details to inflict the most pain upon the reader.

"
The boy lying in the street writhing in pain brought on by the boils building beneath his skin sickened me to no end yet this was the most peace I’d had since the beginning of the week. The moment I saw the first body drop in agonizing pain, I knew the war had begun. Throwing toxins in the air was a trademark of our enemy, that scarred our people, and a stigmatized the very air we struggled so hard to breathe in. My sister went out for water that day. I ran outside when I heard the screams but all I could do was watch as my best friend died. All I could do was watch her skin ooze from her bones and drip to the earth. All I could do was listen to her screams and her pleas while she fell to the ground. All I could do was feel the pain in her voice strike me in the chest and tear me apart with every sound. All I could do was let the overwhelming grief feeding my soul drag me to hell and rip me apart while my sister lie there dying. I was useless, and I still am. I can not cry anymore, it would be wasteful. As long as the Risions keep filling the sky with noxious air, I will keep living in a never ending pit of despair. At night I lie down with grief, and during the day my numbness keeps me company. Whether dawn or dusk, I don’t feel much, even as the weeks drag on, the travesty that is my life becomes humdrum and commonplace. The commonplaces of life occupy your soul and leave nothing in the individual to fight the errors of the ordinary.

© 2020 Ab Gallagher


Author's Note

Ab Gallagher
I’m sure the grammar isn’t perfect but that’s not my main concern

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

18 Views
Added on April 14, 2020
Last Updated on April 14, 2020
Tags: Short, war story, sisters, death, sadness

Author

Ab Gallagher
Ab Gallagher

Normandy, TN



About
Hey I have not been writing very long but I want to get better at it and begin to write books. All I have right now are snippets that I’ve written about emotions or objects or book like paragrap.. more..