Mountainside

Mountainside

A Story by callipygianphiltate
"

There had been many theories on how they had been murdered. They could say that all of them were correct in some sense. They had been killed by their sibling.

"
There had been many theories on how they had been murdered. They could say that all of them were correct in some sense. They had been killed by their sibling. All of the stories in the newspapers stated that the investigators couldn't find a motive for the crime that the sibling would confirm.

They wound back through their memories to find that exact moment in time.
They sat at the of the lake looking up at the Italian mountainside where their house was located. Their hair was shorter than they would've preferred. They hated having to conform to the looks they could not bare to have. Their sibling sat beside her dipping his feet into the water. It licked his heels as the current swam along.

She tended to notice the little things in life.

She grabbed the leather grip of the knife in her pocket. It felt warm. Her fingers drifted to the flat of the blade. It was freezing- she almost couldn't tell because of the cold of her finger tips. Her toes were the same even though they were in encased by closed toe shoes. She removed her left hand from her sweatshirt's pocket to feel the ends of the short haircut. Her right hand tightened its grip around the knife.

She leaned back, still sitting as if she were watching the stars, and pulled the knife out of her pocket,"Niccolo."

The twenty year old turned to look back at her. He shook his head.

"Niccolo," she said firmer, narrowing her eyes at the back of his head. He had returned to watching the lake.

He looked at the knife when he sensed her glare. He took the knife by the hilt with trembling hands.The dark brown eyes started to prick with tears."I don't know how," he faltered at the end.

She stood and took of her clothes. The cloth bag that she had brung was soon empty of its contents as she put of the dress and applied touches of make up to her face.

"I-I can't do this."

She put down the hand mirror and studied her sibling with contemptment,"Just stab me in the chest. It will be over before you know it."

Her brother grabbed her by the shoulders," Maria I don't want to-"

"Stop thinking about yourself for one moment,"she pried the hands off of her,"Nobody wants me. Nobody will mourn me. Nobody will want to find me. Tell them I went to the Americas; they will forget me soon enough."

Her brother started to weep," I can't. Your my sister I lo-"

She snatched her brother's hand, the one that held the knife. She inched closer until their breaths mingled together.

"Hide my body in the brush or dump me in the lake."

She plunged the knife into her chest, taking one last breath. Her brother looked at her in horror.

"You were always the weak one."

Those were her last words. The words she had wasted her last breath on. Her brother didn't hide her body. He ran to their house of the mountainside and alerted their parents and siblings of her death. They notified the neighbors and the neighbors notified the police. Her brother confessed to the crime the he technically didn't commit. He blamed himself. For her funeral she was left near the lake below the mountainside flowers weaved into her hair. Her make up was simple but enough to make her smile, even in the afterlife. Her dress was replaced with a black one not entirely form fitting. Most likely her older sister's. Flowers surrounded her. Her little sister sat on a small hill overlooking her body, a toothy grin adorned her face. The same flowers were weaved into her hair. She wore a black dress as well. She eventually stood up when their mother called. She brushed off her dress and headed down the hill to kiss her cheek. She wandered back home.

They forgot about her. Scavengers were reluctant to feast of her. Flies eventually swarmed around her body. She was left out to rot just as she had been her whole life.

© 2015 callipygianphiltate


Author's Note

callipygianphiltate
Ignore the grammar problems. Also tell me what you think! Hope you guys have a great day.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was original! I don't think I've ever read about a character like Maria. A lot happened in a small amount of writing, death, funeral, running...

My favorite thing about this is the line, "You were always the weak one."

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

262 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 7, 2015
Last Updated on January 7, 2015
Tags: Murder/suicide, short story, prompt, angst, not to much but just enough

Author

callipygianphiltate
callipygianphiltate

About
Hello, I'm Kal and welcome to my humble abode. The crossiants are over there, mints and cough drops are on the table, tea is being replaced by Pepsi and Faygo, tissues are on the end table near my boo.. more..

Writing