Survivor

Survivor

A Poem by kdarcy
"

It's when we forget our limits, that we feel really lost in trying to find ourselves ... it's ok to ask for help.

"

Believing myself capable

of my own death

in times of sadness

does not scare me

 

What makes a survivor

is the ability to not

carry through a well

thought out plan

 

You knowing I could

but wouldn't

brings me comfort

you are a survivor too

 

We share pain

of the past and today

each feeling the others

greater than our own

 

In reaching out, the

burden is greatly eased

finding sure there is

anothers hand to hold

 

 

pulling the survivor through

 

 

 

© 2006 kdarcy

© 2013 kdarcy


Author's Note

kdarcy
I asked a friend one day after a couple of beers, she's in the mental health field, if she thought I could kill myself. Not that I was having any serious problems, I just wanted her opinion. We had known each other for a few years and drank a few beers and talked of many things over that time. She was not surprised by my question, nor I by her answer. I told her that no I wouldn't do it, I thought it unfair to life and friends. Her answer was yes, she thought me strong willed enough to do it. Much later in the evening, unable to reach me by phone, she called the local police to come by and check on me. I was quite surprised later when the officer called me by name, as I was laughing with my neighbors on the block. I needn't say she was very hot and concerned at the time. It gave me a greater awareness of peoples despair. This could have been a warning/call for help, she wasn't going to chance it. Do we ever really know someone ? We laugh about it now. At one time, she even used this piece in group therapy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
MCS
Most are capable of this act, after all it's a momentary act invoking a permanent solution. The dark twist is those left behind are never the same.
Good piece of writing.
Interesting question you posed to you friend and I understand her action.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
1 Review
Added on November 4, 2013
Last Updated on November 5, 2013
Tags: life, sadness, depression

Author

kdarcy
kdarcy

MD



Writing