Maggie

Maggie

A Story by Nart

Maggie

The last day…this is my last day with you kid.

last day? What are you talking about?, it’s not like you are dying or something, as I see your face still shining, so why is it your last day?.

 no kid…it’s not my last day, it’s my last day with you.

but how?.

 I’m only going out to have some fun without anyone, we might meet again but no one knows when.

 OK then..how do you like to spend your last night with me?.

 How about something good, I do like doing good for people.

 ok..there is this place I know, it’s too dirty for anyone to sit in it, how about some cleaning?.

 sounds good I’ll do the drive, what a dirty place as you said.

no problem now, it will be full of life in no time from now.

while the dust was fading from the air people were arriving, the life started here again.

 as you said in no time.

 hey there! You did this thing here?.

 yeah we did it.

 but why?.

 it’s like doing good before leaving.

 then how about to meet me at that bookstore, it need a new life, what do you say?.

 Will you do the driving again?.

 its sounds creepy I don’t know.

 you don’t know then it’s ok to go.

it’s really dead and small, no one can sit here and read.

 nice to meet you again, can you wait me at that queue it won’t take long.

 ok it’s not that big queue after all we can wait.

my turn how can I help you? You wanted me.

 no its me who should help you, you brought life in that place, so it’s my turn to brought life to you.

 like You said creepy, and how can you brought life to me?.

 You tell me, what do you desire?.

 let’s see…since you have this bookstore you can give me a book I can learn something new about life.

 sounds like you have something to say, let’s sit and talk a little , after all a chat with death won’t hurt you.

 death you say!.

 Suddenly all turns black, only the face remains, a nice looking woman was death.

 why not I’ll bring the chairs so we can talk.

 what! You crazy? Its death.

 and I’m telling you that it’s ok, if death want to hurt us  then we must be in heaven long time ago.

 you said life can you tell me what is life?.

 I don’t know, it’s only life, we live in it to do what is meant for us to do.

 this is crazy, I won’t sit here another minute I’m out.

 your friend is going why is he going? Is he afraid of me?.

 Afraid! I don’t think so this is his last day with me, he is going somewhere to have fun.

 how can you know that?.

 I lived with him enough time to know how he thinks.

you do, but you don’t know how does he feels.

 yeah whatever, then he is afraid of wasting time here.

 I guess so.

 then he is afraid,  whatever was the result, the reason is the same, so you won’t know if he is afraid of me or not.

what is the matter with him now, he is already out, how can you return to your house?.

I can walk home.

but it’s too far from here and we already past  midnight.

 it’s ok a second with you worth spending the night walking.

 but also you can run.

yeah it’s ok to run as long as no one seeing me.

 why?.

 because they sure will laugh at me.

 you think so?.

 yeah why not, that’s what I’ll do if I saw someone running alone.

 ok then…can you run to hell?.

 To hell! Why should I run to hell? Hell is something bad nothing good in it why should I run to it?.

 As I said whatever was the result, the reason will be the same.

 it’s not like that, this is different.

how?.

 I want to go home not to hell, that’s how.

 then can you prove me wrong?.

 you mean to go home now?.

 yeah why not?.

 but I’m here to talk to you.

 no you are not, you are here to give you something you learn about life.

but how can running to home teach me that?.

 You say home, and I say hell.

ok then I’ll go but this isn’t over yet ill back for sure.

 how can you be so sure? You might back if you reached home but you won’t back if you reached hell.

 heh…yeah I won’t back because I’ll be dead then, only dead live in hell.

 how can you be so sure about things you even didn’t tried? You even not sure about life, that’s why you want something from it, you only say words, you didn’t proven anything till now, prove I’m wrong.

 running to hell you say, sounds like a challenge, ok then deal.

 wow.. when exactly did this place was full of life? It barely can house five people, but I see much more.

so you started to see now.

 see what?.

only a smile was the last thing the lady did.

 

 it was too quick, to feel this emptiness, no one around now, even that life we brought to that place it’s like nothing now, should I run now or keep walking? What does she meant by running? To run to home or to just reach it in less time? What is this hell anyway? Should I die now to reach it or what? But wait a second, different result with same reason, what is my reason and what is the result? Will there be consequences?, oh good, a night life only a bunch of gangs here and there, what they might talking about right now?  And what are they  doing every night?, heh…its good I wasn’t running they might be laughing right now, hey look at that crazy, running alone in night, but…why I said might? I could run from the start but I didn’t, why? To save some energy and not be tiered or because I was afraid?.

 everything moving backward so fast, even them the people around me, they are far away from me now, I am running, I didn’t even notice this, are they laughing now?  I don’t know I didn’t saw their faces, but I’m past them now, I’m still running, should I keep running or stop now? I’m not tiered at all, how did this happened? Am I dreaming or what? Should I go back to that bookstore to make sure or what? Come to think about it, I was in a bookstore but I’m not holding any book, why? Isn’t that the reason for bookstore? To give books?.

 oh that’s my friend house, I’m sure I was running for a while to be here now, even though I didn’t felt tiered or stopped, I’ll be home in no time, the deal will be over soon and I didn’t understand anything from it, by the way, what could he doing now?.

 heh…I’m sure he is sleeping, a temporary death to rest yourself  so you can live again, I’m walking now, but why I stopped running? I still don’t know how I started running and now I stopped, could it be because I’m tired?, but I’m not tired at all, I stopped when I saw my fried house, should I return to run or keep walking?, I still don’t know what was this deal made for? what is the reason for it anyway?.

 

 Hey...Maggie!! wait, Maggie?!.

 Who is Maggie?, there is nobody around.

Hey Maggie I said wait, come back home now don’t escape.

 can I help you?.

oh I’m sorry, I couldn’t notice that, it’s too dark to see here.

 who is Maggie?.

 my daughter, she escaped.

 but why?.

 I’m sorry, but I really don’t have time now I must find her before something bad happens.

sounds like she is dangerous.

 thank you and if you could find her, return her home.

 but wait, where is home?, what a rush, going too fast from me now, heh...why should I find her? Anyway it’s too dark to see, but I’m curious about that Maggie, why did she escaped? And escaped from what exactly? Is she crazy or something like that? But also escaping means to go away from something bad, I’ve been called by her name, could I be Maggie? She might escaped from home to find life, but I’m going home to find life, what I’m thinking about now?.

 Hey Maggie wait don’t escape.

oh not again, what the...!.

they are really running fast, who are they?.

 what’s wrong with you? Why didn’t you stopped them?.

 But… .

 no time to talk now, I must catch them before I lose them.

 so one of them for sure is this Maggie, should I follow them to know? But why should I follow them? I still have a deal to finish, why should I care about this Maggie?.

  Don’t touch me!.

 so this Maggie been captured after all, heh..what a way to finish a story, all what I was thinking about this Maggie was for nothing now.

 hey you help me, we must return her home.

 but I don’t know where is this home.

 are you lost or blind? Can’t you see?.

 wow…the world really moving slowly now, what a tragic way to start your day, following something you don’t know where you could find it, and finally when you find it, you end up laying down on the street, by the cause of a direct hit in the mind.

 are you dead or just fainted? I can’t tell, you’ve been looking for her all that time, and now she is looking at you.

 thank you… you helped us.

 but I didn’t do anything.

 but you did helped us.

 how did I helped you and all I was doing was just standing and doing nothing?.

that’s it, this way you helped us, you didn’t listen and did nothing, but you could listen, and if you did that we might not be here now.

 ok but I was wondering? Why you’ve been followed?.

 you don’t have to know why.

 so you did something bad to be followed like that.

 you say bad and I say good, no one knows thanks anyway.

 is that a joint you are holding or what?.

 see.. you say bad and I say good, it’s a normal cigarette from you.

 from me!? But I didn’t gave it to you.

 it don’t have to be you who gave it to me.

if that’s so then let me light it for you.

 a deep breath, means the freedom, doing something bad for something good, that’s what it was to smoke.

 hey! I thought we won’t meet tonight.

 I was just avoiding to be caught, nothing to worry about now.

 we won’t be followed anymore.

 that’s good we’re finally free now, who are you?.

 I don’t know he just helped us.

 oh good, thank you for helping us, should we start moving now or spend the rest of the night standing here?.

 the night soon will over and everything will be over then.

you right let’s move.

 what a night, should I complete my deal and head home, and what about you? You want to stay here laying down on the street? Are you dead or still alive? Should I call an ambulance for you or leave you behind? And what about this Maggie, what is her story? Should I follow them to know who is she? Will they mind my company? Will I disturb their night?, but why should I follow them?, its  night and too dark, and as I saw there still people awaken here and there, could some of them be bad, maybe something bad might happen to them, so I should be with them as a guard to them, anything can happen this night, after all this was the only question I did answer.

 oh hi again, you made it to us, you want to join us?.

 yeah I think this way is better.

finally you started to see, it will be better as you said but not as you thought, anyway until I make sure.

 three beautiful youth girls hanging out at this time in the dirtiest part of the town, sure thing it will be dangerous, this is the least thing I could do to them, to protect them this night, but is it worth it?, after all I could end up laying down on the street like it did happen before, I still don’t know who are they and still don’t know who is Maggie to know her story,.

hey there, where are you going to?.

 what?!.

 where are you going to?.

 Who are you to ask this anyway?, could this be what I was thinking about? The first sight of danger?, the question is not where are we going to, its where are you going to?.

 who me? I just saw the four of you walking so I thought what’s wrong by asking.

 sounds like you are planning to do something.

 just as I told you, I saw you and I asked you.

 hey..you want to join us?.

 what! Wait…we still don’t know who is he.

same goes to you.

 so let me ask again, where are you going to?.

 we still don’t know we might know when we arrive, so what, want to join us?.

 no he won’t join us.

 but why?.

 yeah kid tell me why I can’t join you?.

 this way is better.

 it could be better for you, but not for us.

 after all you only know about yourself, but not ourselves.

 ok but I’ll keep watching him.

 do whatever you want, after all its your life not mine.

 what!?, this is your way to say thank you, because I want to protect you?, anyway it’s like you said it’s my life after all, and I’m still following you, but why I’m still doing it?.

 your voices are too loud, it’s like saying to everyone hey we are here want to join us?, why are they doing this? You are in the most dangerous hood and they even don’t care about it, but they are succeeding, our number is increasing bit by bit, where are we going? That man was right, he asked the perfect question, should I keep with them? Or leave now?, I don’t know where it might end this way but I know where I’ll end if I leave now, my house, and that deal, I still don’t know if I could know anything about it or not, soon it will be morning , maybe they are safe now, it’s not like there is a sight of danger anymore, everyone is laughing, I can leave now, maybe to complete my deal, but I must ask them one last time, and then leave, anyway I  fulfilled my reason here, they are safe, even though I can’t make sure about it but they are big group now and it’s not like they will leave that laugh from their faces.

 hey seriously now..where are we going? I know this hood like my name and there is nowhere special to go to?.

 didn’t you heard what I said back then? We might know when we arrive.

 then why we are doing this?.

don’t you want to see the blue sky?.

 the blue sky you say!.

 yeah don’t you want to know it color?.

 but its blue.

how can you be so sure?.

 because I see it every day.

..well the morning didn’t shown yet you won’t know until the sun rise, then maybe you might know it color.

 then I’ll wait to see it.

 you won’t see it even if it shown you still can’t see.

 but you said… .

 hey man why aren’t you laughing?.

 and who are you now to ask me this?.

 don’t change the question I asked you first.

 I don’t feel like laughing.

 then why you are with us?.

 I’ve answered you and now answer me, who are you?.

..that’s a hard question kid I can’t think clearly now, maybe when this night over I’ll know the answer, and if so I’ll tell you, but for now I’ll leave you with nothing.

 what!?, a hard question, how do these people think? It’s so simple, why isn’t there any answer for my questions?, heh..this is crazy, who doesn’t know who he is, …, wait a minute, who am I?.

 now you started to understand.

understand what?.

your reason.

 my reason? But my reason here was to help you.

 yeah and you did it by doing nothing.

 hehe what are you talking about?.

 finally kid you started to laugh.

 what? I didn’t laugh.

 but you are now.

 hehehe, yeah I’m laughing but why? Am I going crazy like you or what?.

 hey everybody the reason for us tonight finally laughed.

 a loud noise was all I could hear now, laughter and cheering, but why? I didn’t do anything to deserve this? I can’t think at all, all what I’m doing now is laughing for some reason, no way to think, like all of you now I’ve become one of you, spending the rest of the night laughing, it’s just like being drunk, without taking anything, just like a living body without a mind to control it, just like laying in the middle of the ocean’s surface doing nothing and everything at the same time.

 ohh, impossible concentration, its like being dead but full of life.

hey everybody its almost morning, how about to go to that place?.

 yeah I know that place, so empty, without a soul in it, we can bring the life in it, and also I’m not that far from home, let’s take the second right I know a shortcut for that place.

 ok then you lead us there.

 everything will be over soon, the night will over, this group will over, and that deal will over, it’s all about time now.

 ok now let’s take this righ…, what the hell is going on!!.

 stairs..there wasn’t any stairs here I’m sure about it, it’s like a thousand step to the middle of the earth, even though we are heading down now, no this is wrong, this isn’t the right way.

 its just a couple of steps to feel yourself running down.

 why am I running down now? Could this be the hell? And if so why am I running with a smile? Where is everybody?.

 Oh they still up there, I’m already half way down.

wow..this view a slight light with a joyful smile up there they looks like a figures in the sky full of wonders, even though I’m down here, but this view of these mates was the real color of the sky, full of red and green, purple and pink, black…and blue, I didn’t imagine that the way to hell will look like this, I wasn’t going to hell after all, the hell was inside of me all that time, by thinking, questioning and being afraid all that time, about what might happen, but it’s about the smile after all, everything happened in this night was for a reason, and everyone was choosing the result for these reasons, nothing is good and nothing is bad, it’s just the way we see it, I could see something good, but someone else might see it bad, so my dear friend you were only a result for my reason, it’s not you who might not see me again, it’s me who won’t see you again, farewell for you now and hope you find your reason like I did, and you Maggie, everyone was saying that I was the reason for tonight by helping the three of you back there.

 but actually you were the real reason for tonight, whatever was the result everyone reached his reason after all, even though we don’t know each others, even our names didn’t reveal to any of us, I only know the name Maggie, you could be one of these three youth ladies, and you could be me, heh..after all anyone can be Maggie, because you were the result of our reasons, it’s all clear now blue sky, life is about everything, this is the meaning of it, or at least the way I’m seeing it, so this is the hell you were talking about all that time Death.

 heh..how irony, you were right after all, I lost my challenge, I won’t back to you anymore, but we will meet again for sure, how smart you are, letting me learn that much about life by experiencing it, not by reading it, because that’s the reason of books, every book fit a person, letting him experience anything by only words, and makes him feels it, meeting you death was a bless for me, it’s not like you blessed me by letting me know my time to die like you do to others, but by letting me know my life, again how irony, and how smart you are, having your own bookstore so you can freely do whatever you want with us humans, and with that nice looking woman, sure you can control anything, very wise thing you do, there is no need to anyone to challenge you, because you know that you will win, no one can stand against you, I won’t run anymore, I’ve reached my reason, all these mates will keep smiling because they found their reasons before I did, no more chasing for you too, you could be meeting her right now, ether ways, alive or dead you reached your reason as all we did, a perfect ending for a long night, everyone smiles, but who smile last smile the best, and once again you were the smartest one of us, by letting yourself smile the last one, it’s my turn now to give thanks, so thank you Maggie for showing me the results and thank you death for showing me the reason, also you should thank me, because I could be now a book in your shelf, waiting for someone to read me, after all I was the result for your reason.

 

© 2017 Nart


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

275 Views
Added on August 15, 2016
Last Updated on February 12, 2017
Tags: Maggie, twist, devil, death, conversation, life, searching, friendship, story, long story, imagine, wonder, plot

Author

Nart
Nart

About
HTAED... more..

Writing