My Most Fond Memory

My Most Fond Memory

A Story by Kid Experiencing
"

I found it difficult to mentally get myself to write this. It's about my summer vacation as a child.

"
It's 8:11 in the morning, another warm Saturday of July.
I hear the rooster crowing,
I wake up in the double bed inside my grandparents' caravan,
squinting my eyes, looking up outside the small window.

The sun is beaming threw the curtains, blinding me but bathing my face in it's comforting warmth.
The birds chirp, the dogs bark, I hear the crickets, the weather's hot and sunny.
I wanna lay there for just a little longer, as close to forever.

I shuffle threw the soft thin white sheets, that smell so fresh,
I find my husky plush. We watch grandma feed the goat threw the window.
I fed her everyday and she let me pet her head. 

My mom then walks in, holding a plate, 
full of curiosity I raise my head peeking, wondering what she brought me.
She puts a plate of apricots on the bed, full of color and juice.

"How did you sleep?", she asks, running her fingers threw my hair.
Before I get the chance to mumble out an answer she grabs me and holds me tight.
And as I wrap my arms around her half awake, I can feel myself falling back asleep.

She gets up, grabs the remote and puts on something for me to watch.
The TV had static and barely big enough for me to see well, but yet it was enough to amaze me as it was.
I cross my legs and eat my apricot, my mouth full and my fingers sticky.

In the morning I'd go swimming and play in the sand. I loved the waves.
As I skipped my way back to the caravan, that sweet lady with the dog would always treat me with some refreshing cold lemonade as I passed by.
When I'd get back my mom would wash me and wrap me in a nice warm towel.

In the evening I'd lay outside on a mattress with my dad, under a big platan tree.
As we napped together I could hear the leaves rustle and I can't help but wonder how we both fit together on that small mattress.
He would tell me about every myth he knew of until I fell asleep, and I remember each one.

As soon as the afternoon arrived, I'd get up and sit on the swing.
I have no idea how long I would swing for but it didn't feel all that much. I was wasting none of my time. The sky was beautiful and blue.
I loved listening to the wooden chimes all day long. I was at peace, always.

And when night would fall I would do it all over again.

I admired every experience and appreciated every passing second of my days,
but kids don't understand the concept of time. I failed to notice the simplicity and purity of my own life was slipping away from me moments at a time.
I thought it would last forever.

And today I walk back inside the caravan.
And as I open the door and walk threw the bead curtain, I feel as if I've entered a time machine.
I look at the calendar next to the clock on the wall and the numbers start to disappear.

I look for my toys but nothing is there anymore. The TV won't turn on.
I turn to look outside the window and the grass has grown the size of me now.
And I look for grandpa but he's nowhere to be seen.

No one seems to be smiling at me anymore and I'm being treated like a stranger.
I turn to look at the mirror on the closet door and I figure, I am unrecognizable.
And now I hear nothing but the wind, the sky isn't as blue anymore.

And I ache to know if it'll all be like it used to.

© 2023 Kid Experiencing


Author's Note

Kid Experiencing
i dont usually post the things i write

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

25 Views
Added on July 31, 2023
Last Updated on July 31, 2023
Tags: #nostalgia, #nostalgic, #summer, #childhood

Author

Kid Experiencing
Kid Experiencing

Greece



About
Nostalgic more..