In the light of a candle - The Raven

In the light of a candle - The Raven

A Story by D.Y.Petkova

Greetings.And welcome.Have you brought a candle ? No ? Ah.Maybe one of your friends has ? Yes ? Light it,please.Thank you.
Now all we have to do is to turn off the lights.All of them. Now,why don't you put that candle in the middle of the room ? Far from the corners. Thank you. Now be silent for a minute.Do you see the dancing shadows ? Hear your breath ?Feel your heart ? Yes ? Good. So let's begin...
  Imagine a road.It is barren and goes deep into a forest. It is good kept just empty.And the forest is silent.The night has fallen. A lone owl  screams and then everything is just as silent as before.The stars are bright,there is no mist,the night is warm.The turns of the road make is difficult to see far .And the silence is deafening.
  Now imagine a car .It is just an ordinary car.With an ordinary family inside.A man and his fiancee .They have been driving for too long and the girl is exhausted.And bored.And annoyed.
- You picked the wrong turn.Again ! You could've just stopped and asked for direction.
- I know where I'm going.We're not lost. - At least he hopes they aren't.He knows that this is not the right way but he hopes that they will see a road sign.The road is smooth,twirling and narrow.And silent.He is grateful for her pouting - she isn't silent when she's annoyed. And the sound is good.
  Soon they reach a road sign.It says  "Welcome to Ravehills ! The home of..." Here the sign is painted with red and someone had written over it " the home of the woman with the black raven."
- I don't like this.Let's go back !
- I's the middle of the night.Maybe there's a hotel in here. - He is not certain and she feels it.She isn't bored anymore,she is scared. There is something in the sign that creeps her out. And "the woman with the black raven" ? What is that supposed to mean ? Nothing good. And  she could've been annoyed with herself but he is scared too. He tries not to show it but his fear is almost visible in the air.
  They enter the town and...
- This is a ghost town ! Look I know I've been acting like a ...I don't know like what,but I don't like it here. Let's go back ! We can sleep in the car ! Please. - She is ready to beg.The streets are empty and there isn't anything in the shops.Not like the town was evacuated .No,more like they were leaving on groups...of haven't left at all. There aren't broken windows or doors to suggest thefts.It is like these who could've left had done it and the others...they've tried to live as they could.Why she thinks that not everybody left she doesn't know. She just feels like there are eyes that are watching every move and counting every breath.It isn't a pleasant feeling. And the town is lit by the moon and the stars,there isn't a creeping darkness.
- There isn't anything to be afraid of.See,it's just a street with houses. - She doesn't believe him. He doesn't seem to believe himself too.
- Empty street with empty houses.Let's go.
- No. - He sounds sure.He picks this moment to play the big,strong man and that angers her.
- You know what ? Stop the car.I will walk.
- You can't walk alone here.
- Why ? It's not like there's something here,right ? - She opens the door and he has no choice but to stop.She leaves the car and shuts the door.He deserves it.He brings her to this awful place and ...she stops.And listens.She can't hear the car. He probably had stopped to sleep. Or to chase her on foot. She turns to face him and...there isn't anything behind her.Not him,not the car,nothing. But he was there a minute ago.She listens. There isn't a sound.Not footsteps,not the engine. And suddenly a movement catches her eyes.On a tree right in front of her is a raven.The black bird stares at her with an intensity that scares her. Just now she notices the birds.Or,to be correct,their absence.There isn't even a stray cat.Or a mice,sparrow or a frog. Not even a fly.Just this raven with its glossy black feathers and intelligent eyes.
- Okay,this isn't funny anymore.Come out. - She hopes her fiance is joking and has hidden somewhere.She hopes.And as her hope dies she thinks that if she doesn't escape this cursed place soon she would go mad.She feels like a heroine in a horror movie. She always thought that these girls need a brain transplantation. They all did stupid things like going into ghost towns and wandering alone looking for their missing friend.She thinks about Mike.If he is alive he would find his way out of this place.Wait,why does she think that he could be dead ? This is completely irrational and...her senses tell her that this doesn't matter.She starts to run.And run. And run. The main street ends with a sign "You're now leaving Ravehills." .There is a board nailed to the sign."You can't escape" . And a black feather nailed to the board. On the feather there is...She faints right there.

  She wakes from voices around her.
- She's awake ! Hey,what happened ? Are you okay ? - They look kind.Elders ,with a small car and concerned frowns.The old lady helps her to stand.The man hold something.
- Is this yours,lady ? - He gives her an engagement ring.It's just a band.she'd given it to Mike the day after he'd proposed her.It is clean. But lat night it hasn't .It's been bloody,like it 's been cut .She looks behind.In the sunlight she sees only the sign.The town isn't there.Only grass and some ruins.Nothing.
- Do you know what happened to this town ?
- Oh,yes.The people left. they said there was a curse.But of course that's not true.And there is a legend saying that if you see it they way it has been this is the last things you will see.Bu this is just a superstition .People thought they see houses and streets when the city is in this condition from over a half century. But,my dear,are you sure you are okay ?
- Yes,I am fine. - she turns and sees a raven.The same she'd seen on that tree.It is on the small car.
- You will ride with us ,won't you ?
- No. I prefer to walk.And maybe someone will pick me.
- But you can't walk here.There isn't anything here !
- I will. But thank you.

  She is leaving her home.When she stays somewhere for long she sees the raven.On a house,a car,in a yard.And it brings death. She;d seen it enough.Now she stay 'till the first death.And then she leaves.But whereever she goes she carries a ring.Just a simple metal band.

  So of you see a raven,think.Is it the one from Ravehills ?

© 2016 D.Y.Petkova


Author's Note

D.Y.Petkova
Honest opinions,please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

90 Views
Added on July 12, 2016
Last Updated on July 12, 2016
Tags: horror, short, scary, raven

Author

D.Y.Petkova
D.Y.Petkova

Dobrich, Dobrich, Bulgaria



About
I write short horror stories and I collect my inspirations from everything around me. more..

Writing