Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
In the light of a candle - The Travelers

In the light of a candle - The Travelers

A Story by D.Y.Petkova

Hello and welcome in the town of Harbor, Maine. Population - 6000. I hope you like it. Tonight we are staying in the Desert Residence and I will tell you the story of the Travelers. Someone you have all met more than once. You do not believe me ? Just light the candle and listen...



They have been here since the dawn of time, but nobody notices them. And they are ...evolving. They change their shape, they change their attire and looks, but they never change their behaviour. It is in their nature. Nobody knows who or what they are, or why do they travel. Nobody knows where they are going, where do they live or even if they exist outside. They are just a phenomenon that most people do not notice and never think about. But do you know what also are they ? A fact. One of the few strange things that everyone sees. Almost every day.And they are not documented. Think about that.



You have all seen Travelers. Yes, you have. And no, you should not be afraid. They are harmless. Most of the time. A Traveler in the past was looked like a hitchhiker in robes or with a hat. People never see their full faces. They look human, or at least the part you can see. With the dawn of public transportation their time came. You know the guy with the hoodie and earplugs, whose face you can never actually see ? He is a Traveler. Their gender may vary - you can see both men and women. In the past, though, they were mostly male. Which brings out the question "Do they have gender or they change their shape to match their surroundings ?". Because of the hood you can never tell how they look. The modern Travelers usually wear sneakers and jeans, always long, and they keep their hands in their pockets. It is almost impossible to see any flesh. But even if you do, it will look human. Only look, of course. They never speak, make almost no noise and never look you in the eye. Or anywhere else. Or maybe they do. Who knows ?



You can see them on buses and trains, but never on taxis. They do not like the privacy.



And, like I said, harmless. They do not make sudden moves, they do not attack, they do not touch anyone. And they always leave on the last stop. But, if you think about it, people always disappear in public transport. You know, someone was going home late at night and nobody seen them after that ? Yes. If you are alone with a Traveler, you should be careful. Because sometimes people try to follow them and nobody hears from them after that. Or they are seen getting on the train and they never leave. The cameras show nothing, but still...



There's always a Traveler on the bus or train. Sometimes no everyone sees them. Sometimes the cameras do not see them. But they are there. You can see them. Just sitting, not moving, not talking, not breathing. As for the fact that sometimes people, who have lost someone to the trains, you know, someone close disappeared, see a Traveler with clothes similar to the person they lost. Well. Clothes get stolen, lost and found. It happens all the time.



The Travelers are fact and they have been since forever. And they will be one until the end of humanity. They exist in the travel and turn into nothing once they are outside. And remember, never try to talk to a traveler - they do not like it. Or so I've heard.



Sleep well and be careful next time you get onto the bus. You never know what is hiding under that hood.

© 2016 D.Y.Petkova


Author's Note

D.Y.Petkova
Honest opinions wanted

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
p
It's really good, but I am curious what the point was in pointing out that the town was Harbor, Maine if the rest of the story was going to be talking about them being everywhere. All in all, I'd like to see this premise extended and explored. Well done.

Posted 7 Years Ago


D.Y.Petkova

7 Years Ago

I write them as if I am telling the story right now. I guess, when I wrote this I was at a place,sim.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 15, 2016
Last Updated on July 15, 2016
Tags: travel, bus, train, horror

Author

D.Y.Petkova
D.Y.Petkova

Dobrich, Dobrich, Bulgaria



About
I write short horror stories and I collect my inspirations from everything around me. more..

Writing