In the light of a candle - The Archives

In the light of a candle - The Archives

A Story by D.Y.Petkova

Hello and welcome. Come in, do not stay on the doorway. Tonight I have prepared a story for you and I hope you like it. Come, my room is here. I will just light this candle. Lights out, please. Thank you. Let’s begin.
  Do you remember The Librarian ? The story of the Great Library and its master ? I told it some time ago ? You do ? Good. Because tonight I will tell you a story of the Library. Here we go…
  All libraries are big, their dimensions twisted and warped until finding the way back turns into a challenge. Until all you can see is books and all you can hear are the whispers. Because books whisper and talk and stare. They look at you, search for a weak spot. They love company and when they find it, they do not let go. But tonight I am not going to talk about the books or the Librarian. No, tonight I will tell you about a part that every library has. The Archives.
  You have all seen them �" boxes or lockers, full of folders. And that’s all. They are usually placed near the day librarians �" the ones who do not know the Library, who do not understand it and do not know the rules. They just shush and look evil. The real librarians know that they have to be cautious around the books and even more around the archives. Do you know why ? I will tell you …
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
  The books whisper. At night, when the lights are out and only the night librarians are there, because make no mistake, no matter what, the books are never left without supervision, they talk. Quietly, with barely more than thoughts and feelings, they communicate. They share, they chat, they plot. And when a stranger comes, they watch. But libraries are not quiet at night. Why, you would ask ? Because of the screams.
  The night librarians know what to do, know not to scare, but sometimes it is hard. The books, the energy itself stops the screams from leaving the rooms, but if there is a person inside, he would hear. Do you know who screams ? The files. The archives are a violent and dangerous place. Why, you would ask, why would a folder scream ? Because in every folder there is a part of a soul. Every person, who had borrowed a book from a library, has left something from himself there. When you read a book, the book reads you back. And as you remember pieces of the text, as these pieces live inside you, so does a piece of you. Every book you leave in the library brings a part of you in the folder with your name on it. If you have many books at home, they help you. Because they take your energy, chew it a little, turn it into something and then send it back when you reread them. But at the library the books are not so kind. They rip parts of you, lock it deep and then leave them into the files. And these parts mourn you. They have little conscience, they remember you and your memories. And you remember them. They are the link between you and the Library. And since It is so much more powerful than you, it can reach you through them. In your dreams or when you enter the Library, you are an easy target. Because you are weakened, the link is forged and there is nothing you can do. The library is a bad place. It sucks you, leaving only an empty shell. But if you enter it, if you truly lose yourself in it, you can feel a little better. Only a little, but it is why so many people disappear. Nice people without enemies, who loved their books. They are so desperate for a little comfort, the coldest and the most cruel kind of comfort, that they dive into this world of feelings and lose themselves. It has happened. Everywhere. And it still happens. But at least for now there are librarians and visitors in the Library. The Archives love the company, it calms them ,helps them remember. When paper books disappear, what are they going to do ?
   Think about it. And sleep well.
  Good night.

© 2016 D.Y.Petkova


Author's Note

D.Y.Petkova
Honest reviews are welcome

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
Added on July 15, 2016
Last Updated on July 15, 2016
Tags: library, archive, soul

Author

D.Y.Petkova
D.Y.Petkova

Dobrich, Dobrich, Bulgaria



About
I write short horror stories and I collect my inspirations from everything around me. more..

Writing