THE LIMITS BETWEEN MARITAL PARTNERS

THE LIMITS BETWEEN MARITAL PARTNERS

A Story by Kelly James Bonewell

--I think that you are my entire life. Have I heard such a suggestion?

 

--So there it is. To think that any man would even propose such an idea is, in the simplest terms, foreign. But for that matter, I do care to hear more about what you are talking about.

 

--I don’t see why you keep on harping on these things, as though I were treating you like some sort of concubine. I am sure you’ve always wanted me to express my feelings, but it’s just so revolting. I mean, I honestly do not know quite what to say.

 

--I thought it might be fun.

 

--Fun! Did you say fun? I can’t understand you anymore. When two people jeopardize the moment, it just becomes a vulgarity.

 

--Then you do really think all this is unreasonable. What you did is one thing, but now you’re home and we ought to go on the way we did before.

 

--Tell me what you want. You must know that. Tell me specifically, what conditions it means to our relationship. [Pause] Don’t look so miserable. You look like nothing could possibly surprise you.

 

--You never listen to me. I don’t miss a word, not a word. You want me to change and I’ve got to be everything to you, otherwise our relationship is as though it were in some psychologist’s report. For better or worse, I’ve made up my mind to be quite serious. I mean that. [Pause] I do mean it. I am going to be every bit as much of a spectator as you are.

 

--Isn’t it odd? There would be no stilted questions, no apologies and no pussyfooting around. It would be just wild and altogether satisfying.

 

--Don’t you realize? I think of you simply as flesh and blood.

 

--You have such a way about yourself. I should think a man would want his wife to be bright and watchful. I certainly do.

 

--I hoped it was me you loved. I should have been a recluse. You know, women are so peculiar. I don’t’ think I ever saw anything in my life like this. What in the world are we going to do?

 

--I don’t know. Who cares? Do you?

 

--I suppose not.

© 2008 Kelly James Bonewell


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

57 Views
Added on February 12, 2008