statement of  purpose

statement of purpose

A Story by kjstevens
"

blog entry

"

May 7th, 2008

 

Sun pushing away morning clouds. Dandelions poking through thick, dewy grass. Sparrows and robins fueling up for another day of survival in the city. S.B.’s at work. Little Man is sleeping. The dogs are resting in the cool basement. Teddy, the cat, is stretched out and purring. On the kitchen floor. White light in through the big window washing over him.

 

I’m at it again. Fingers to keys. Glass of water. Mug of coffee. Reaching out by reaching in. Trying to find a way to explain my decision to reenter the world of academia. As if a decision like this needs an explanation at all. Isn’t it enough that a person wants to learn? Sometimes, it is not. And this is one of those times, so now I need to be as clear and concise as possible. To the point. Aware of an audience.

 

Why is it that I want to engage in graduate study at Mercy College?

 

Mercy College fits my lifestyle. During the week, from 7:30 to 4:15 every day, I’m Little Man’s stay-at-home-Dad. His teacher, provider, protector, and guidance counselor. He is two-years old. My fiancée’s son. And even though he could be in childcare, I’ve decided to forgo working a regular, 40-hour a week day job to be his sole parental figure while S.B. works. She is a teacher for The Academy of Westland. Her passion is art and that’s what she teaches. To a revolving door of three-hundred plus students. Kindergarten through eighth grade. It is not an easy job, but it is an important job. One that both of us believe in and support wholeheartedly.

 

It is not easy being a stay-at-home-Dad, but it is has been the most rewarding experience I’ve ever known. I’ve learned more about love, loyalty, compassion and truth in the past six months than I’ve learned the rest of my 33 years. This lesson, however, will change course in approximately two years. That’s when Little Man will be old enough to go to school. And that’s how many more years S.B. sees herself working at her current school. So, in a  few years, we’d like to be able to put our feelers “out there” and decide if this is the place we want to stay, or if maybe we want to move. To another state. A warmer climate. Or maybe up north. Closer to our family. Back to our roots. And some long-time friends. 

 

If I’m accepted into Mercy’s program I will work hard and work smart, and I’ll finish my degree as soon as I can. The aim is to have earned my MA by the time Little Man is ready to attend school and by the time S.B. has put in her inner city teaching time. It will be then that we’ll be able to make some decisions. Investigate more opportunities. Having my MA will help us. I’ll be able to teach and write and help students make their decisions and reach for their life goals.

 

I’ve always pictured myself as a writer and a teacher. A permanent part of the academic world. Helping people discover themselves by discovering others. Sharing my passion for writing and reading in an effort to help others find what it is they are passionate about. There’s much to be discovered in this world.  Most of it is locked deep within. And success is the lifelong process of finding the keys that fit the locks. For me, many of these keys have been discovered through my personal writing and through literature. From James and the Giant Peach and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, to Roethke’s The Waking and Hemingway’s A Farewell to Arms, I’ve always had teachers and professors that presented literature to me in ways that made me feel as if the writer had written the words especially for me.

 

My intention is to earn my MA and continue writing. It is my desire to teach, research, and continue on this path of growth and learning by securing employment at the college or university level. Doing so will not only provide me with peace of mind, but it will also provide S.B. and Little Man with more comfort and financial security.

 

Many thanks. Best to you and yours. Keep on keepin’ on.

 

~ K.J.

© 2008 kjstevens


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
Added on May 8, 2008

Author

kjstevens
kjstevens

Westland, MI



About
Writer. 34 years old. Michigander. Here to meet writers, editors, agents, publishers. People who love words. Love the act of writing. Keep on keepin' on... more..

Writing
intent intent

A Story by kjstevens


steady aim steady aim

A Story by kjstevens


spring storm spring storm

A Story by kjstevens