Asphyxiation

Asphyxiation

A Poem by Kelsey Raynor
"

A stream of consciousness style poem that I wrote after being given the writing prompt of drowning.

"
Every excuse imaginable pours out and the velocity of each excuse is almost as defensive as the mechanism which stops turning your lungs into a fountain. I don’t know what TV shows you watch or what books you choose to read but allowing yourself to sink isn’t as simple or glamorous as most characters would find it. You could take every prescription pill imaginable or be on the bad side of somebody with homicidal tendencies, but there is no suffering like choking on what is fundamentally here to sustain your existence. Some people find water romantic, relaxing or frightening and others see it as an escape, a way of finding peace or just falling down the rabbit hole. I can advise you now, after you drown there is no wonderland and once your plump fluid-filled body is fished out of the water, you are not Alice. In fact, you never were Alice and you never will be, but you could’ve been. You could fill your lungs with spirits or smoke or maybe nothing at all. I can guarantee either one of these would probably get you closer to wonderland than submersing yourself in your local lake or taking a bad trip and gulping down more than your own weight in liquid.

© 2017 Kelsey Raynor


Author's Note

Kelsey Raynor
This is my first time writing in a stream of consciousness style with no real structure to the poem. I would appreciate hearing what anyone thinks of this?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
Added on April 19, 2017
Last Updated on April 19, 2017
Tags: suicide, drown, dark, trapped, cold, death, water

Author

Kelsey Raynor
Kelsey Raynor

United Kingdom