The Cat and the Crow (A Fable)

The Cat and the Crow (A Fable)

A Story by Klep
"

For an assignment. An homage to the fables of Aesop.

"

THE CAT AND THE CROW


A FABLE BY GREG KLEPPER



 

One hot summer afternoon a cat walked along a dusty road. He kept on this road for several miles until the road forked into two paths; one to the left and one to the right. The cat became annoyed and began to pace in frustration. It was then that a small crow landed on the branch of a tree nearby.


"If you swear that you will do me no harm, I will help you find your way" said the crow.

The cat laughed. "Bird, do you believe me to be such a beast as to devour the very one who offers me help in my time of need? I mean you no harm. Besides, I have eaten a great feast for lunch today and will not be hungry again for hours." Said the cat

"Then I shall give you my trust in good faith." 

"I am trying to find a village called Remington. I must locate my master. He most certainly has arrived there by now. We were separated last night in the Great Woods.

"Then you must take the path to the right." the crow said.

After hesitating for a moment, the cat took the bird's advice and followed the path to the right.  Flying in circles overhead, the crow followed.

"You are fortunate to have run in to me. For I have seen every place there is to see.

They walked on for about a mile when the cat began to grow impatient.

"How much further?" The cat asked.

"Oh, not far at all. You'll see." The crow replied


It was after keeping on this road for several miles that the cat began to grow tired, hungry and more impatient.


"Crow! What is the meaning of this? We have walked for countless miles and have still not arrived!" the cat spit out angrily.

"It is not far now. You'll see. Not far at all." Said the Crow.

"Do you take me for a fool? I have heard those words escape your beak one too many times." said the cat

"My, my, what a temper you have. I have been good enough to help you find your way. Do not be ungrateful. " said the crow flying above him.


Furious, the cat took a deep breath and continued to walk on. Growing mad with frustration with each step, the cat's face began to redden. The road grew more strenuous and was now a steep uphill trek.  The cat's face grew hotter and his legs grew weaker until he could not bear anymore. Angry and delirious, the cat pounced into the air, grabbing the crow with his sharp claws. Once they were back on the ground the cat devoured him in three big bites. Despite being repulsed by the taste of the bird, his weakness had ceased.


The cat finished his meal and continued on the road. He made it several steps until he stopped short beside a large bush and gazed blankly at what he saw-

Lying at the bottom of the hill, roughly 100 yards away, was the village of Remington. 


It was then the cat realized what he had done. He had eaten the very one who had offered him help in his time of need. The crow had been right all along.


Filled with shame, the cat lowly made his way into town where he found his master preparing to board a coach home. Having been under the impression that the cat ran away to live a life of leisure, his master was furious over his absence. After being flogged for several hours the cat was thrown from the coach, for his master had purchased a new cat in town and no longer held a use for him.

© 2016 Klep


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This kinda describes my relationship with God. For awhile there, I had lots of tough times, but the more I whined, the heavier my burdens became. I think a lot of people at this point forsake God becuz He ain't delivering on His promises (which people mistakenly think means giving people what they want). Anyhow, let it suffice to say this can nicely represent many different kinds of relationships thru-out life . . . I was following everything with recognition, until I got to the last paragraph. I'm not sure if I like that part so much. I prefer allegories that are more open-ended & allow the reader to imagine how it turns out. But your ending definitely feels like fire & brimstone for eating the ones who help us!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Aww that's a sad story. I liked it though a lot. One second, I feel for the bird, the next for the cat. Very well done. I know it's your first draft and all, but definitely take another read just for punctuation faults. No biggie though!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

423 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 4, 2009
Last Updated on October 26, 2016
Tags: fables, fairy tale, aesop, aesop's fables, folklore, folk tale, animals, talking animals, grimms fairy tales, fantasy, children, kids, childrens stories

Author

Klep
Klep

New York, NY



About
NYC Based writer / filmmaker. Genre hopper. Try to never write the same thing twice. Mostly screenplay-centric, since that's where I find I'm strongest. Using this site for all other writings. .. more..

Writing
DOMESTICATION DOMESTICATION

A Story by Klep


Acid Eater Acid Eater

A Story by Klep