Perfection is in the Eye of the Enlightened

Perfection is in the Eye of the Enlightened

A Story by taboo.poet
"

Short story about teen girl who seems perfect; written in poetry format

"
She was a girl like any other girl. Perfect in every way, except one. Perfect in all the ways that people could see. Touch. Feel. All that was tangible. Inside, however, was where the darkness laid. Where she fought against unseen demons and exhausted all her resources. Heart pumping at overtime. Sweat dripping from her pores. She was perfect in every way. In every way except for one.
At school, she was varsity cheerleader even though she was only a freshmen. She was leader of the FIDM fashion club, the Greenery club, and a part of dance. She got all A's and B's in all her classes. She strived the hardest to be best. To spread herself thin across all origins of life. A figure of hate to some and love to others. Perfect in every way but one.
She lived on a nice street in the north side of the neighborhood in a big lonely house meant for more than just she, her mother, and her little sister. Countless days were spent in silent reflection. Wondering if her father would come home. She was perfect in a all but a few ways. She was different and yet the same. She struggled but nobody knew it.
One day, on her way to practice, a Facebook post struck a chord. Across the headline stated "warning signs of suicide in young teens", and as she skimmed through the list and article, tears welled in her eyes. Escaping inside a stall, she threw up the remnants of that lunches chicken salad, and took deep breaths. She was perfect in every way. Every way except several.
In the mirror, she glanced at herself. The unrealistic body she resided in, and the inner soul that overwhelmed her. Newly strawberry blonde hair glistened with secrets and fell across flawless, fair skin. Strands went down to the middle of her back, encapsulated in a high pony tail adorned with a scrunchy. Her thin body clutched her cheer uniform, but no cheer radiated from deep within her heart. Exhaustion. Depression. Surrender. A conflict of interest: herself within herself. Deep breaths relaxed her, and she convinced herself that she was still perfect. Still great. All these hours and years sacrificed to be the perfect teen girl. The one that everybody envied but couldn't begin to sympathize with. Ignorance can never see beyond its limits and boundaries.
Outside the restroom, she hears a group of fellow classmates whom she's burned bridges with. Not on purpose. But you know, that's how high school can be. You anger someone by raising your hands in class. By getting an A on the test. By having lots of friends. It doesn't take much to ruffle the feathers of the ignorant.
"Yah, and that one cheerleader b***h. She thinks she's so f*****g perfect just cuz she got varsity and she's a freshmen. She's not even from here is she?"
"I don't think so. I heard she's just a dumb w***e who let's all the senior players feel her up".
She hurries past the line of vision. The sound of noise. The error of their ways. But there is no way to get past the line of energy because the energy is everywhere. The hate and anger at what they do not know. She is perfect in every way except many.

© 2014 taboo.poet


Author's Note

taboo.poet
Let me know what you think :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

240 Views
Added on November 19, 2014
Last Updated on November 19, 2014
Tags: teen, high school, gossip, depression, anxiety, short story, poetry, drama

Author

taboo.poet
taboo.poet

CA



About
I write poems about deep and controversial topics, and sometimes just things going on in my own mind and life. I'm an 18 year old who has been to hell and back and use poetry as a way to heal. more..

Writing
lust lust

A Poem by taboo.poet