Jewels of the Sky

Jewels of the Sky

A Story by Imogen Knight
"

Make a wish.

"
The navy curtain was blotched with a thousand gleaming stars, each one lit up the dark canvas. Mesmerised by the jewels of the sky, I lay, beside you, in the body of long grass, lacing my soft hand in yours. Your smile mirrored mine.

"Why are you so beautiful?"

I returned my gaze towards you. I noticed how your eyes enchantingly reflected the sky, as though your whole body was ignited with stars.

"Why are you such an awful liar?" I responded, leaving a grin on your face.

There was a silence, as we admired each and every single spec of glitter above our heads. It occurred to me that some of the stars had been there for millions of years, viewed by a large span of generations. Some were brighter than others, whilst some had dimmed with age. Some were large, and some were small gleaming crumbs. You eventually broke my thoughts, as words escaped through your lips.

"Have you made your wish yet?" You asked. I frowned.

"Wish?"

You pointed towards the billions of scattered stars, signalling me to select one. My eyes came across the brightest and largest one I could find.

"Now, make a wish." I followed your instruction, closed my eyes, and thought of everything that I wanted. Fortune. Fame. Money. Success. Family. A billion things shot through my mind at once, but I finally settled on a single thing.

"Done?"

I nodded, smiling at you. You shifted your gaze towards the sky again.

"Did you make a wish?" I questioned, as you fixed your twinkling eyes on the stars. You grinned.

We continued to watch the dark canvas above us for a while, admiring the blotches of magical starlight. We lay there, my head nestling on your chest. I felt your internal drum beats gently through my ear.

"I wished that we could lie here forever, in this field. I wished that the youthful hue of our love will stay. I wished that I could look into your eyes forever, seeing billions of stars twinkling through, lighting the bones of your body, strands of your hair, even your soft fragile fingertips. I want to grow old with you, and lie under the same sky with you, when perhaps we aren't so youthful any more."

I couldn't detach my eyes from yours. And only then did I look away, and up to the sky.

And before I could look back at you, we'd both fallen into an endless sleep.

© 2014 Imogen Knight


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

really amazing imagery, i was captivated by the first couple of lines . this is clearly a romantic monent between 2 people .

Posted 9 Years Ago


No more comment Imi but very beautifully executed I liked it...

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 28, 2014
Last Updated on June 28, 2014
Tags: Love, dark, sad, forever, romance, story, short, depress, depression, loss, years, two, you, me, I, relatable, stars, jewels, sky, meaning, meaningful, heart, mystery

Author

Imogen Knight
Imogen Knight

United Kingdom



About
Hello, my name is Imogen, but you might as well call me Imi. I am inexperienced in sharing my writing, but have loved writing since I was a kid! My poetry and writing is inspired by my current studies.. more..

Writing