Grown Woman Status

Grown Woman Status

A Story by kYmberly Keeton
"

Thirty-something Era...

"

There are no manuals in cyberspace for a woman to use once she turns thirty years young. Many dread the day when it creeps up like a thief in the night. I thought I would lose my mind at the age of twenty-nine. Now at thirty-three I know different.

Since surpassing the mysterious number and turning thirty-three in September of 09', I feel that I am now at a place where I can say I'm in the defining moments of my Grown Woman Status. I have realized that it is cool to be educated, successful, have problems, and good/bad relationships.


Definitely at thirty-three I know I gotz a sweet tooth, love jazz music, will write forever, read consistently, believe in GOD and his son Jesus, want to get married, and have to exercise to stay in shape. I was told two months before (33) that Jesus was crucified at thirty-three too; ain't that something. He must have been a strong individual, because 2009 was a very challenging year for me.


Thinking back on the last year with single digits, in the 21st Century, I started graduate school: then completed all the requirements for The Graduate Certificate In African-American Studies, bought a Jeep Cherokee: had to rebuild it, moved from 248 sq.ft: to a 800 square foot apartment, started a tutoring company: had two clients, decided to become a Cultural Anthropologist: flew to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to make sure it was the right choice: next, applied to complete requirements for a PH.D in Anthropology--Folklore & Public Culture, became a Literary Art Educator for Houston's Fotofest: our exhibition is in April of 2010. More did occur, but I won't bore you with the details.


I continue to see myself grow into a woman of her word, and wanting to make a change in the world. I have a lot about me that I want to turn around as well. Each day matters in my book: NOW.


I'm at a place where I really don't care about what other's think of my appearance, or where I am going in life. Living on my own since the age of fifteen has taught me a lot. I thank God that I have made it thus far, and still learning.


I planted a lot of seeds for 2010 and waiting on #34 to creep up on a sistah. I will be accepting all of life's challenges, and gifts for this new decade.



~I never like to say good-bye!



Holla.Black!

© 2010 kYmberly Keeton


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
Added on March 5, 2010
Last Updated on March 5, 2010

Author

kYmberly Keeton
kYmberly Keeton

Houston, TX



About
Writer for Life. kYmberly Keeton is a graduate of The University of Houston with a B.A. in English-Creative Writing with a minor in African-American Studies (and was awarded a Baccalaureate Degree .. more..

Writing