Angel

Angel

A Story by Krys
"

She knew he was a monster, but did that mean she couldn't love him?

"

Sara watched warily as he shaved that morning. She didn’t want him to suspect that she knew his secret. If he detected her repulsion it was possible she would be his next victim. The razor slide effortlessly along his jaw line; some hidden desire within the girl made her quiver with anticipation. She wanted desperately to see the bloom of blood swell beneath his skin. Did that make them similar? Did the yearning to watch a monster suffer make Sara a monster as well?

          She shook her head in dismay. This was not the time to contemplate such things. She should be packing her bags, preparing to leave Sebastian, yet she found she could not tear her eyes away from the man’s dangerous beauty. His bare chest glistened with moisture from the hot bathroom and his muscles expanded as he moved. He had tribal tattoos covering his broad shoulders and his deceptive, violet eyes stared back at her from the mirror. He combed his bronze fingers through his curly, black hair and laughed deeply.

          “Relax; you look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

          “Sorry.” She muttered too afraid to look him in the eyes. What if he knew? What would he do to her?

          “Are we still going to Maggiano’s for dinner tonight with Rachel and Sam?” S**t. She’d forgotten about that.

          “I suppose so.” She tried her best not to hint at what she knew. Perhaps he hadn’t already noticed the tremor in her voice or the way she averted her eyes from his gaze. It was possible that he had yet to detect the fear in her unusual behavior, but in Sara’s mind every move she made was an obvious pronouncement of all that she had learned in the past twenty-four hours.

          He raised his eyebrows playfully. “Okay,” he smiled as he leaned in for a kiss. In a moment of frenzied panic Sara almost jerked away, but she stopped herself and attempted to amend her mistake by pulling him in for another, more passionate kiss. Sebastian was surprised. “Where did that come from?” He teased. “You haven’t kissed me like that in ages.”

          Sara laughed nervously. “Sometimes I just can’t help myself.” She heard him chuckle as she slid out the front door of their apartment. She could feel her heart beating rapidly against her chest. She sucked in the scent of the moist Savannah air. It was about to storm and Sara had things to do.

          The dust from the dirt road stirred as she made her way quickly toward the old Southern plantation. The heels of her boots clicked as she climbed the few steps to the front porch. The screen door creaked open before Sara had a chance to knock.

          “Can I help you?” A timid, little Italian woman peered at her from behind the door. How could such a delicate woman produce such an evil son? Sebastian’s mother was nothing like the man she raised.

          “Yes ma’am. My name is Sara. I’m a friend of your son’s. May I ask you a few questions?” The woman’s small eyes widened in fear; her hands trembled as she pulled the screen door shut. “You must leave now.” When Sara didn’t move the woman shooed her. “Go away now. I do not want to talk to you.”

          Sara was puzzled. “What are you so afraid of? You don’t even know what I was going to ask.”

“Oh yes I do and I want no part of it. Your questions will bring me nothing but trouble. Leave at once before I call the authorities.” The little woman seemed very adamant in her pleas and Sara had a hard time resisting, but she had questions and this woman had answers.

“I just want to know why. Why does he do it? Did he have an abusive household? Is there something wrong with his brain? What is it? Please tell me!”

Something in the girl’s voice broke through to the woman and even though it obviously pained her, she opened the door. “You get ten minutes.”

The woman led Sara into a tiny parlor at the front of the house. The walls were a soft pink and flowers of all sorts hung from baskets by the bay windows. They sat at an antique iron table in the center of the parlor. The table like everything else in the house was small and it appeared even smaller when the old woman suddenly dropped an enormous family album on top of it. She flipped to the first page and began to speak.

“When Sebastian was born I told his father there was something wrong with his eyes. They were too dark. His father said it was nothing; that I was too superstitious, but after a while even he had to admit the boy was deranged. It started on his seventh birthday. There was a strong hurricane moving in from the South, Sebastian was mad because he wasn’t allowed to have a party. We tried to explain to him that a storm was coming and it wouldn’t be safe, but the child was inconsolable.” She paused for a moment to show Sara a photo of Sebastian at age seven. He was scrawnier, but not much different otherwise. He was standing alone in front of his house, frowning. Although the photograph was black and white she could still see the violet in his eyes. The realization sent shivers down her spine.

“Around noon that day, as the rains poured angrily from the sky, we brought Sebastian his presents. He opened each one excitedly until they ran out, but once the presents were gone he returned to his anger. He yelled at us and called us foul names; he spit at his father and raged until we had no choice but to punish him. My husband whipped him hard with his belt and sent the boy to his room. We didn’t realize then how dangerous our son was, but it wasn’t long before we found out.

The nasty weather had sent a stray dog our way. The animal was emaciated and needed shelter. We decided to let him live in our basement until the storm passed. When we let Sebastian leave his room, he wanted to see the dog. I took him downstairs and watched them play for a while before returning to my chores. Sebastian seemed normal like any other boy as I watched him. Nothing could prepare me for the horror of what was to come. It happened without warning. One moment my boy was playing happily with the dog and the next moment the dog whined and blood stained the floor. Sebastian had snapped his neck and was now tearing at the animals flesh with his teeth. I screamed and ran up the stairs. My husband came down to see what had happened but I locked the basement door. I was terrified the demon that possessed our child would murder me for what I had witnessed.

Over the years it got worse. I would find dead animals in his closet, and one day a little girl went missing, and then another and another. There was no way to stop it. On the day he turned eighteen I made him leave. I told him this was a catholic house and I would not allow his evil to live within its walls any longer. He laughed at me, but he left. I haven’t seen him since, but I know what he’s been up to.”

The woman gave Sara a meaningful glance and stood indicating it was time for the girl to leave. The story had given Sara a lot to think about, but there was still no clear reason why. “You didn’t answer my question.”

“I did. Sebastian kills because he is the devil and it would be in your best interest to stay away from him. When most women discover their lover is a monster they leave. You, stupid girl, ask why. Why is not important. You must leave or he will kill you. That is important.” The woman pushed Sara forcefully out of the house and slammed the door in her face.

When she arrived back at the apartment there was a message on the machine informing her that Sebastian had left to run some errands. She seized the opportunity to escape. She tore her clothes from the closet and stuffed them haphazardly in her suitcase. She grabbed her jewelry and piled it into her bag; she took all the necessities and prepared to flee, but as soon as she opened the door she heard his voice. He was talking to Miss Laurie on the second floor; she’d never be able to get past him. Sara sank to her knees in grief. What could she do?

Thunder boomed loudly overhead as Sebastian ascended the stairs. He was suddenly aware of a change in the atmosphere as if he instinctively sensed the impending doom. He was startled to find Sara slumped down in the doorway of their apartment; seeing her like that made Sebastian tense with fear. “Sara?” He called afraid she wouldn’t answer. “Are you alright?”

She looked up at him, hatred and disgust filled her eyes and he knew. She had discovered his secret. The secret he had tried so desperately to protect, especially from her because he knew if she found out he would lose her. What woman would want to live with a vampire? He was evil, a killer and she was pure and delicate. How did he ever believe this could work? He wanted to drop down on his knees and beg her to stay; he wanted to promise he would change. But change for a vampire is impossible and because of that she would never stay. He could force her, but she’d resent him the rest of her life and that was not what he’d intended.

“How did you find out?” The words were quiet, almost inaudible, but she had been waiting for him to ask.

“I saw you yesterday with another woman. I thought you were cheating on me, now I wish you had been. I followed you to the motel on Berkley. I watched from the window as you kissed her collar. I saw you smile as you pulled the curtain shut. That’s when I realized there was something wrong with your teeth. I saw you leave and waited hours for the woman to follow, but she didn’t leave. I knew before I went into the room what you had done, but I had to see it for myself.” Angry tears slid down Sara’s pale cheeks. “You are a monster, Sebastian. I thought if I could find a reason that I could be with you, but there is no reason is there?” She looked up at him once more, but there was no hope in her eyes.

Defeated Sebastian stepped over her into their apartment. He grabbed his clothes and essentials and stuffed them into an overnight bag. He sighed as he grabbed a photo of Sara from the bureau. Even though she loathed him he never wanted to leave her behind. He kissed her forehead before he left; she just stared vacantly past him. As he was walking away he heard her shrill sob of pain.

“Sara,” His eyes were wet with unshed tears. “I wish there was a reason.”

 He had let her deceive him or maybe he’d deceived himself. Sara made his dreams come to life; she made him feel like he was normal. She had promised him forever, but she changed her mind so quickly. She could’ve given him a chance, but the reality was that Sara was not an angel and she could never have saved him.

 



© 2012 Krys


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is an amazing short story.... had me wishing that Sara had stayed

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is so sad! =(
But i love this short story..

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 14, 2012
Last Updated on June 14, 2012

Author

Krys
Krys

Writing
Patchwork Me Patchwork Me

A Story by Krys


Little Girl Little Girl

A Poem by Krys