Before He Was Mine

Before He Was Mine

A Poem by Allons'y

She ventures from her hiding place, ignoring the timorous swirls inside, because everyone’s been extolling the wonders of the tide.


The chance of getting swept away seems great, as the crack and snap of waves await.


Yet she hesitates to imagine the possible turn of events, knowing it will color the trip with suspense.


The wind starts to blow, just a small and quiet breeze, but if she ignores the signs, the opportunity will freeze.


So she jumps aboard, determined to sail, hoping against hope that this will not fail.


The expanse is forever blue and serene, a beauty and comfort she had never foreseen. 


But there’s still a droplet of doubt she can’t shake, because what if the sea doles out respite along with heartache? 


And as if on cue, the grey rolls in, clouds dark and dreary, wearing her thin.


This is what you get when you throw caution away, because nothing that blue can maintain its display. 


She struggles in the open, wanting to decide, that it must be worth it, to experience the tide.


And though the clouds look threatening and sure to upset, the rain is absent, and nothing gets wet.


In fact, the longer she holds ground, the more she can tell, that the grey is abating and the waves stop their swell.


The sun returns, and the warmth fills her body, and somehow it’s deeper, as if before it was shoddy.


 She tugs on the sail, making her way back to shore, content in the knowledge that she dared to explore.


And instead of being derided for her hazardous voyage, she returns home with less and less baggage.


No regret for braving the storm, because it’s bluer than before and oh so warm.


The light from the sky is a greater shine, than it ever was, before he was mine.

© 2012 Allons'y


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

First off, I love the imagery in this.

"The light from the sky is greater shine, than it ever was, before he was mine."

That is pure brilliance! This piece speaks wonders.

Nice job :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Allons'y

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
 Tasha

11 Years Ago

You're welcome!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
1 Review
Added on December 19, 2012
Last Updated on December 20, 2012
Tags: poem, love, ocean, sea, metaphor