24 Hour News Feed

24 Hour News Feed

A Story by Katrina Purugganan
"

Scanning through my everyday routine on Facebook

"

            Tick, tick, tick. The sound of letters typing away. Click tick click. Oh boy, I’ve entered the Facebook world. Pop ups of notifications such as relationship statuses, events, or tagged videos/photos appear in the bottom right of my screen. Yes, this is part of my life, part of my addiction, part of my personal routines.

            Everyday when I come home from school I walk up into the green “guacamole” guest room. I dropped my school bag at the side of my left foot, took my sisters laptop and place it on the side of the bed and pulled a green plastic chair for me to sit on. I opened the soft squishy cover and turned on the laptop. While that’s starting up I grabbed open my bag and pull out my homework such as  Mrs. Collis’s list of journal entries that I need to finish to put into my journal, Mr. Gresh’s worksheet on free-fall, and Ms. Raschiatore’s note worksheet that has a list of a bazillion problems just for trigonometry. I never thought that I would be able to get a lot of homework in this time of day. As the welcome screen appeared, I cracked my knuckles like those people you see in movies when they’re ready to break open the security code into the computer.

            Entering into my personal user on my sister’s laptop, I clicked on the Mozilla Firefox and typed in www.facebook.com. After I pressed enter, the site automatically appeared less than a second! This laptop’s network speed is just as fast as NASCAR drivers driving at a speed of about 180 mph! That’s super fast considering when they drive around a track for hours. Now I know that wherever I click into that site, it’ll lead me into a friend’s profile fast.  I lightly placed my index finger onto the mouse pad and as I moved my finger I move the mouse like I’m taking control of soldiers in an online game called Machine at War. I lead the mouse to click on the email box, typed in my email address and then my password. When I pressed the enter key I noticed that I had 99 notifications for only just commenting on a group picture. A group picture. “A lot of people have time on their hands to make threads,” I thought. I went back into my home page to look at the rest of the news feed. As I scrolled down I noticed one of my friend’s has a birthday today. Every time a birthday notice comes up I remember to always say the usual, “Happy Birthday! I hope you have a great one,” or a fantabulous day, any word you can say to make their day even better.

            Once I thought visiting my home page was easy I clicked into my profile account and several people wrote on my wall. Some of my friends posted walls saying “Hey! How’s it going?” to “Oh, school, I know what you mean..” other things like that. On the short conversations I can easily type back because they’re short and simple. As for the long paragraphs of hey-you-are-so-fun-to-talk-to-I-just-want-to-talk-to-you-more types of people I have to respond later. It does sound harsh like calling out Kayne West after he rudely talked to Taylor Swift in the VMA’s ’09 but yet again I sometimes get impatient of reading the posts my friends posted up.

            Ah! It’s almost 4:00am and I have not started my homework yet! I pushed the laptop away like I was pushing my temptations of eating dark fudge chocolate with drizzles of caramel flavor onto a warm chocolate cake. I placed worksheets of homework onto the bed and started to work. I’ve now left behind a place that I’ve gotten the use to. From posted walls to tagged videos/photos to statuses updated, my notifications will go up like a speed of light reaching Earth. It sure is great to update and stay connected on Facebook. It sure is great to get back into my personal routine. It sure is great.

 

© 2009 Katrina Purugganan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TLK
I like the sarcasm at the end.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
1 Review
Added on October 28, 2009
Last Updated on October 28, 2009

Author

Katrina Purugganan
Katrina Purugganan

About
- 16 years old - Junior at Stone Bridge High - ♥ family & friends - ♥ photography - ♥ poetry - ♥ music more..

Writing