The Death of a Superhero?

The Death of a Superhero?

A Story by KW Pennington
"

Is one man's failed quest an inspiration or an isolated act of demented naivete?

"

 

Reprinted from The Akron Observer August 10, 2008

The Death Of a Superhero? by Max Whitestick

Akron, OH - The Observer reported on the homicide of lottery winner Philip Summers, 31, in our August 3 edition. Summers' body was discovered in the Summit Lake neighborhood of Akron, four miles from his place of residence, the victim of a gunshot wound to the head. No suspects have yet been announced.
     Police released more information about the case yesterday, in an effort to aid their investigation.
     Police said that the victim was discovered dressed in a "homemade costume of sorts". They described the material of the costume as made from a patent-pending blend of rubber and latex. It was black in color and covered the victim's entire body from neck to ankles. Over his head he wore a black nylon hood, with eye and breathing holes cut into it. He additionally wore black nylon gloves and black hiking boots. Silver lightning bolts had been spray painted onto the sleeves of the outfit and a large capital letter "R" was additionally spray painted on the chest.
     Police further described a specialized belt the victim had been wearing. "Apparently, it was a utility belt," chief investigator Charles Wickham said, "Kind of fascinating, really. It had secret compartments and everything. Mr. Summers had over a dozen items accessible to him via that belt."
     Police have not announced all of the items discovered on the utility belt but they have released a partial list. The list reads as follows:
-Three pairs of specially constructed handcuffs, steel links but cuffs made of rubber, constructed to resemble miniature automobile tires
-One can pepper spray
-One pistol, able and equipped to fire rubber bullets
-A grappling hook attached to twenty feet of silk rope
-One rubber boomerang
-One small can of dog treats
-One small air horn
     Police further announced that a custom built motorcycle found abandoned and vandalized near the scene is believed to have been owned by Mr. Summers. "The bike was neither registered nor insured," said Wickham,"but friends and family have identified it as a motorcycle Mr. Summers purchased earlier this year."

     Mr. Summers first made news in March of 2005 when he simultaneously became the youngest winner, at 27, of the Ohio State Lottery and the recipient of its largest pay out at that time, 133 million dollars.
     The Observer spoke with several of Mr. Summers' acquaintances in an effort to determine what transpired during the years between Mr. Summers' windfall and his untimely death.
     "That guy (Philip Summers) ate, slept, and breathed comic books," said former co-worker Jane Secrest, "I swear, you could not have a conversation with that guy but in five minutes he'd be telling you how Green Lantern would have handled that situation. Don't get me wrong, he was a real good guy, real nice. Just a little obsessed, you know?"
     Secrest went on further to state, "After he won the lottery, he just disappeared. I thought we were friends but money changes things, I guess. None of us ever saw him again."
     Lifelong friend Robert Szimanski said, "You would think most people who won the lottery would take it easy afterwards. Phil did the exact opposite. He went into training. The past three years he's studied, like, every martial art under the sun. He weight trained every day and got so he was running his own little marathons. He had nothing but time on his hands after he quit his job and I'd say he spent the bulk of his day, every day, working out. He was the most physically fit person I've ever met."
     "It didn't seem like he was spending the money, not to most people," close friend Stanley Johnson stated. "But he was, secretly. He was spending it on R & D and equipment. Listen, I don't know if anybody else told you this or not, I don't know if anybody else realizes it or not but the truth is that Phil Summers was transforming himself into a superhero. Bottom line."
     Szimanski concurs, "Oh yeah, that's what he was doing. Phil never understood why some rich dude didn't become Batman in reality. I'm dead serious, he really didn't get it. He would say, 'If I had that kind of money I would use it to make the world a better place, to fight for the innocent and downtrodden, to stand up for truth and justice.' He really, really believed in that. We're talking about a highly moral individual here. And suddenly he finds himself with that kind of money. Put it where his mouth was, Phil did."
     "He never specifically talked about what he was up to," Johnson says, "but I knew and he knew I knew. It was a kind of a wink and a nod kind of thing. But he was naive I guess. It's too bad but it seems he got killed in his first outing. The heroes in the comics always prevail but that's not real life. A real criminal doesn't give you time to find the perfect item in your utility belt. A real criminal just puts one in your head.
     "I wish now I had just talked to him about it. I mean, I don't even know what he wanted his superhero identity to be called. He obviously had a rubber theme going on. A nod to Akron's history no doubt. Very Phil - he was a real home town kind of guy. But I wish I knew the name - just that little thing would make this easier. Rubber Man? Captain Rubber? The Rubber King? Mr. Goodyear? Ah, what's the point, we'll never know now."
     Szimanski concluded, "The world has lost a great man and I have lost a great friend. But I can take a little comfort in knowing that Phil didn't just die a hero, he died a (expletive deleted) superhero."
    
     Akron police ask that anyone with information regarding the death of Philip Summers contact Charles Wickham in the Homicide Department.

© 2008 KW Pennington


Author's Note

KW Pennington
This is a work of fiction.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great story. A truely clever satire about the realism (or lack there of) of superheroes are rare. One gag but timed perfectly to lighten up the sad piece just enough without losing the tone of the piece.

Posted 15 Years Ago


My wife's brother lives in Akron, so we have been there many times. This piece had a bizarre feel of reality to it. Great imagination. Rain..

Posted 15 Years Ago


Hey, not bad! It really read like a newspaper or magazine article, and the idea is fantastic. I would have loved to see this be a bit longer, or with the promise of reading more...fabulous idea, excellent style...I want to read more!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Don't we all wish at one time that we could be a super hero? Wonder Woman, Wolverine, Superman...I remember jumping off my moms couch and over the coffee table, tackling my brother and declaring him shackled with invisible beams. Of course, he would just knock me off and call me peanut but it never deterred me. This was wonderful. Maybe he is leaping tall clouds where he's at. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

225 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 27, 2008
Last Updated on September 27, 2008

Author

KW Pennington
KW Pennington

Poughkeepsie, NY



About
I enjoy writing. I like to keep it short and I like to explore new ways to tell stories. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Darkest Space Darkest Space

A Poem by Tamme