Chimere Mansion

Chimere Mansion

A Story by demannu
"

A large estate filled with the most prized treasures.

"

Chimere Mansion had acquired its own personality from years of use and, under certain owners, abuse. Contained within its walls were all the secrets the world ever needed to know, and then some.

The solid, gray bricks used in its frame were each the size of a being, and all the windows were as tall as two full-grown men standing on one another's shoulders. Pieces of the grounds aged as quickly as the moon rose in the night's sky while others seemed to stand still for centuries on end. Fountains, springs, forests, and groves were scattered about between intricate hedge mazes and winding paths. Within the walls rested vast, detailed rooms, each unique in its own.

On the third floor, the mirrored room was the main attraction, consisting of the most lavish furniture obtainable, all made out of elegant glass, silver, and mirrors. White marble shimmered on the floor, sparkles of diamonds embedded into the solid slab. The main table spanned through the entire room with twisting, silver legs and a glass top. The chairs were constructed of silver bases, draped in fine hoary silk, as fluid and beautiful as mercury. The walls, of course, all reflected the quaint, cold scene over a hundred of thousands of times, as they were sheets of mirrored glass.

In the lower most reaches of the estate, where some said the roots of the old residence were tangled with the earth, resided the observatory. The domed ceiling of this room was host of a masterfully painted mural of the night's sky. The painting seemed to come alive when the lanterns hung about the circularly room were blown out and the silvery paint shone like beacons of light, even in the dark. Red velvet lounge chairs were placed in a starburst formation around the room so that the fabricated sky could be enjoyed from all angles.

Perhaps the most interesting of rooms in the mansion, in the highest reaches of the north tower, was appropriately nicknamed the "Color Dwelling". The round band of a wall that stretched around the room was made entirely of stained glass windows in intricate shapes and patterns. Images could be made out of certain areas but for the most part, the miniscule detail in the glass left distinguishing what was being portrayed a mystery. The secret to the room is that when the sun is directly overhead, the windows light up like fires and cast the most beautiful, swirling images onto the black marble floor in all the colors of the rainbow, and some that can not be comprehended by the naked eye. To be in this room when it happens is to be a piece of magic, even for just a moment.

Originally, Chimere was built by a peasant who ran into a large sum of money through a serious of mysterious events involving a ten-pound piece of led, a school book, and a very lost polar bear. He allowed the majority of his family members stay within its walls, as it was very vast, even before the additions.

Since then, kings, queens, lords, ladies, dukes, and ambassadors have kept a fire burning in the grand fireplace's hearth.

© 2008 demannu


Author's Note

demannu
Right, so this is a bit of my dry-stage when I was trying to write and had no inspiration. I wasn't sure where it was going, but I didn't care. I just needed to write.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on December 6, 2008

Author

demannu
demannu

CA



About
Recently, I deleted every bit of writing I've ever done. I'm starting fresh, starting anew, starting original. I'll be posting the project I'm planning here but writing may not happen for a while. I.. more..

Writing
Forest Fire Forest Fire

A Story by demannu


Nightingale Nightingale

A Book by demannu


Prologue: Guilt Prologue: Guilt

A Chapter by demannu