Promises

Promises

A Story by lady sunshine

I do remember the date but I don’t feel like recalling it. It was one fine morning when I was getting ready to leave my country, venture out to a new place for a new beginning. I got a new job. I do not want to come back to this place ever again.

                     I left home quite early, took a cab and reached Airport little before time. I had nearly one hour in my hand. He said he would be coming. It’s early in the morning and I was sure he’s fast asleep.

                    I paid the taxi off and waited outside the Airport premises. I had one cigarette, lighted it and sat on the pavement, waiting for him. It was a pleasant morning and the wind was light. A yellow taxi was approaching and halted in front. I saw him sitting inside, paying the taxi driver.

                   I got up as he approached me. “Sorry am late. “

There was a quick hug and we sat down on the pavement. “ When’s your flight?”

“I would entering the Airport within thirty minutes and within twenty four hours to the new place,”. I smiled.

“New place, new people, new life.  You would get enough time to travel”.

“  I know. I think am going to love my job”.

I was consciously avoiding his face.  I had never scrutinized the surroundings so much ever in my life.

“ We are all growing up”, he took a puff from his cigarette. “ Take lots and lots of pictures. Truly Whatsapp and Facebook are necessary nowadays”.

“ They connect people from far off”. I took a sigh. Yes. People who are too far from each other.

Fifteen minutes gone and we were having random, unnecessary talks. It looked like we were avoiding many things. Or maybe I was avoiding many things.

“I know that you have a boyfriend.”

I sighed. “ I had that idea. Thank you for not bringing that topic ever”.

“You could have called him today”.

“ I was just listening to my heart”.

“ We are growing up. What if I have to get married in the near future?’’. He asked, knowing the answer.

“I won’t come or call you to congratulate”.

Few more minutes before I enter for my flight. I took a deep breath and asked, “ we never made any promises to each other”.

“ But we were never committed to each other”.

I could not help but smile. It was nearly time. I got up and hugged him. One last hug maybe. I was heavy inside.

I collected all my belongings and approached the main entrance. I had this extreme urge to look back but didn’t

                       “Wait!”, I heard and looked back. He was standing there. “ I will miss you”.

There was a broad smile on my face. “You will be remembered always. I promise”.

I smiled again and went off. My heart and soul was left with the messed up guy outside the Airport premises.

© 2016 lady sunshine


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

this is good........
the female character was well developed......
are you going to extend this story?
i liked it!!!
:)

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
1 Review
Added on March 27, 2016
Last Updated on March 27, 2016

Author

lady sunshine
lady sunshine

kolkata, India



About
I am a graduate.. I had comparative literature in my graduation.. this is the first time that I am trying to write something.. I know I won't be able to create things of immense beauty at my initial a.. more..

Writing