The Giver: Episode Two

The Giver: Episode Two

A Story by Laerwen Mincks
"

When different people, each with their own issues impacting their lives, have brief encounters with a mysterious elderly gentleman, their lives will be changed forever.

"

The cafeteria room was noisy, as usual. The murmuring of voices and clanging of pots and pans was ringing through the ears of everyone in the place. In the corner two men dressed in ragged jeans and worn through jackets, with scraggly grey beards were laughing loudly, and in the play room children were chasing each other around, giggling and squealing. For the moment this place would keep the nightmares of real life at bay. For the men with weeks long scruffy shadow coating their jaws, the children running around with toys that had been used plenty of times, and for the other visitors here, this place was a shelter from the storms, and peace from the nightmares.

            Wanda sat in her office listening to the noise, and though her head pounded with a stress-induced migraine, these sounds were oddly comforting. Her desk was piled with papers and past due bills. Their pages were filled with such small writing and astronomical numbers that her eyes were starting to blur and burn. She rubbed her temples and tied her hair back with a scrunchie.

            The light flickered above her. Great. Just another thing she would need to get replaced. She looked back down at her desk, boldly red letters spelling “PAST DUE” flashed back at her. No doubt Mr. Ronaldson would be paying her a visit tonight, demanding his rent for the building.

            Wanda had started this shelter over ten years ago, but now that the economy was slipping and donations became a rarity, and the in-house food bank was running lower and lower on food stores, it was looking like she might have to close the place down for good. The thought sickened her. The city is overwhelmed with poverty and homelessness. These people depend on these meals and clothes, and any other form of warmth she could offer them. She had moved into the top floor studio after turning the lower middle floors into rooms where some of the youth could live while they attended school. Some of them had been runaways, fleeing broken homes, others had been children the system had just forgotten, and then there were children that had been dropped off by their parents, only to never see them again. Wanda had gotten the permits and all done all the legal requirements to keep this place open to be a home for those who needed it, but now after budget cuts the state had lowered their funds, and she was left falling into a deeper and deeper hole. Her stomach churned from, no doubt, the ulcer that was now forming due to the stress.

            “That’s enough for tonight.” She said with an exasperated breath, “I’ll just finish up tomorrow.” She stacked the papers up, and walked through the door of her office, locking it, as well as the horrible thoughts of closing, behind her and headed towards the cafeteria.

            A couple of children zoomed past her, racing and laughing. Over in the corner she saw Mary, sitting on a chair and squeezing her tattered and frayed stuffed bear in her arms.

            “Well good evening Mary,” she got down at eye level with the small girl, “and how are you and buddy doing tonight?” Looking closer she could see that Mary had been crying, her eyes a bit red and slightly swollen. Mary looked away.

            “Fine.” She replied.

            “Mary…” Wanda placed her hand on Mary’s shoulder, “You’ve been crying.” She reached forward and gently pulled Mary’s chin up to look at her. “What’s going on sweetheart?”

            “I don’t want to upset you.” The little girl said softly.

            “You won’t upset me.”

            “Promise?” Mary looked at her with pleading eyes.

            “Promise.” Wanda stated, “Now tell me, what is bringing such sadness to those beautiful eyes?”

            Mary looked at Wanda and took a deep sniffle and began her story.

            “Well, Robby said that you don’t have the money to take care of us anymore and that the shelter is going to close down and…”

            Wanda’s mouth gaped open. Robby had been snooping again…

            “And…” Mary continued, “that all of us are going to live in horrible foster homes where we don’t get to eat and they’ll be really mean to us and…” she began to cry, “They’ll take Buddy away from me and I’ll never see him or you again!” She started to cry much harder and Wanda’s heart broke as she felt the fear this little girl had been welling up inside of her.

            Before she could think she spoke, she just had to help Mary feel better.

            “Mary. Mary.” She placed both hands on the sweet child’s shoulders to try and calm her down. “Mary I promise you, that is not going to happen.”

            Mary calmed for a moment, stifling her cries and once again breathing in sniffles. “Are you sure?”

            “Yes Mary. I am not going to let anything like that happen.”

            “Promise?” she questioned.

            Wanda held up her right hand and pointed her pinkie finger out to the little girl.

            “Pinkie promise.” She said and tried to sound as assured as she possibly could.

            Mary locked her pinkie finger around Wanda’s and then leapt into her arms, squeezing her tightly.

            She turned to her little bear, “See Buddy, I told you Ms. Wanda wouldn’t let anything happen to us, never ever!” She looked to Wanda for backup and Wanda looked down at the bear, frayed at some of the seams and one of its eyes now crooked from falling off and then being sewed on again so frequently. She mustered up her strength and spoke to the bear.

            “Never ever, Buddy. I will take care of everything,” She turned to Mary with a smile and put her three fingers up high, “Scouts honor.”

            Mary giggled and then started to run on her way, turning back to Wanda.

            “Thank you for making me feel better Ms. Wanda.” She said.

            “When ever you need me,” Wanda said back to her, standing up and turning around before Mary could see the tears welling up in her eyes.

            Wanda looked towards the people working the food lines tonight, it seemed each night brought new visitors to the shelter, hungry and alone. If all she could give them was a warm meal and smile, she’d do it. If only she could figure out…

            Just then Mr. Ronaldson walked through the doorway. All happiness just melted from her body as she walked toward the angry looking man. She plastered a fake smile on her face and began her best “happy to see you” introduction.

            “Mr. Ronaldson,” she commented, “So nice to see you. Come in, take a seat.”

            She began to pull out a chair for him when he threw his hand up in a gesture telling her to cut the act.

            “You know why I am here.” He said, as he looked the people in the room up and down. His face looked as though he had just smelt a whiff of a landfill.

            “Yes, Sir. I do.” Seriousness was the only thing that was needed at this point.

            “You are six months behind.”

            “Yes I am well aware sir, but you see…”

            He threw his hand up to her face again, “I don’t want to hear it Ms. Thompson.” He turned his face towards her with a glare. “I have given you plenty of time, and now I want my money.” He reached into his shirt pocket and took out what looked like a small bottle of hand sanitizer. After squirting enough in his hands to take a bath with he began to rub the mixture on his skin and continued, “You have until tomorrow night…”

            “What? But Sir…” Wanda interrupted,

            He thrust a fake lemony scented hand up towards her face again. “You have until tomorrow night, or you lose the building.”

            Her heart shattered with the ultimatum. “But where will we go? Sir, where will these kids go?” she said, not allowing him the satisfaction of seeing one single tear fall from her eye.

            “Figure it out Ms. Thompson. Either I get my payment, for which you legally owe me, or you lose the building and will have to find a new place to erect your,” he peered around the room, “establishment.”

            Before she could protest anymore he turned to her with a jolt and bombarded out the door.

            Her head spinning with anxiety she managed to sit in a chair at one of the round dining tables before she collapsed.

            She thought to herself, by tomorrow night? How?

            Before her mind could work anymore she was startled out of her thoughts.

            “Well he’s quite an interesting man, isn’t he?” the voice said.

            Wanda jumped and turned suddenly. She thought the table had been empty, but she must have been so overcome with her own thoughts she had overlooked the gentlemen sitting in the seat next to her. He smiled at her with a wrinkled face and sparkling eyes and he gently folded his newspaper and laid it the table in front of them.

            “I’m sorry, what?” she said stunned by both the recent event and this man.

            “I said ‘he’s an interesting man, isn’t he?” The elderly man spoke.

            Once she realized that he was talking about Mr. Ronaldson she then realized that this man had seen the entire altercation.

            “Uh yeah,” She said, “he’s well, he’s something.”

            “I have other words for him,” he looked around and then waved his finger, “but not ones I’d use in front of ladies and little ones.” He gave her a wink and that managed to make her smile. How funny it was, that this man still had the ability to make her smile with so much woe in her heart.

            She began to really look over the man, his tan fitted suite and plaid shirt only accented his wooden cane more in the “not in the right decade” department. Though the clothing and style appeared completely out of date, it still managed to appear brand new. Must have a good washing machine Wanda thought. Just then she realized he didn’t have a plate, and was wondering if he had come there for some dinner.

            “Oh! Pardon my manners,” she said as she jumped from the table, “may I get you a plate? Are you here for dinner?”

            “No need, no need. Please, have a seat,” he gestured back toward her chair, “you look exhausted, why don’t you take a break.” he leaned forward onto the table and then tapped the seat of the chair with his hand. “Keep an old man company for a moment,” he smiled warmly, “That is all I ask.”

            Wanda once again found herself smiling and sat down in the chair. “It would be my pleasure.” She said.

            “So if you don’t mind me asking,” he leaned toward her, “what did that sour puss mean when he was talking about money?”

            “Oh, nothing, just…” for a moment she pondered whether or not she should be discussing such personal business affairs with a stranger, but for some reason looking into his bright eyes she felt completely at ease, and the words began to come falling out, along with her tears.

            “He’s the owner of this building, and I haven’t been able to pay the rent fee in over six months and I’m barely keeping these people fed, let alone paying this rent, and the children need school supplies and clothes…and with the economy like it is, and budget cuts…” Her story just began to pour out of her mouth and she had to catch herself from tumbling faster into this pit of words.

            Finally the old man spoke up, “Shh, Shhh. Shhhh.” He hushed, and patted her on the back, “There, there now. Everything is going to be all right.” He handed her a handkerchief with letters monogrammed into the corner. “Here, take this.” He said calmly.

            “My goodness,” Wanda spoke, “I am so sorry! I did not mean for everything to come pouring out like that and” she motioned to the handkerchief, “for the flood gates to just start coming open.” She dried her eyes with the handkerchief and held it tightly in her grasp while the old man just smiled.

            “It is perfectly fine. We all need moments like that. Let’s talk about something new ok, give yourself a moment,” he smiled, “Why don’t you tell me a little bit about this place.”

            Wanda stared at the man for moment and looked around the room. She saw people laughing and smiling, their bellies no longer growling with hunger, and their bodies no longer shivering from the cold. Across the room she saw little Mary playing with Buddy, her bear, and for a moment they met eyes. Mary gave her a big smile, showcasing the front tooth that she had just lost, and gave her a wave. Wanda waved back and smiled.

            “Well,” she said, turning to the man, “what would you like to know?”

            “Hmm,” the man rested his hands in his lap and relaxed into his chair. “How many kids are living here now?”

            Wanda smiled at the thought of them. “Well, James, Evelyn, Madeline, John and Carlos just graduated and they will be moving on to university,” she beamed at the thought, “and so that leaves us with five in high school, four now in middle school,” she motioned towards a small group of children, “then we have our younger ones,” she named each one off as she counted, “and that leaves Mary as our youngest, and she’s six.” She turned back to the man, “So that gives us seventeen.”

            “Quite the house full.” The man commented with as smile.

            “It is, especially being that we are trying to feed at least one hundred people in our community, three meals a day.” Wanda brushed her hair back and then continued quietly, “but unless I come up with all my past due rent by tomorrow, on top of my already piling bills, we will have to close down.” Wanda clasped her hands together and placed them up by her face, trying to fight back the tears.

            “Doesn’t the state help you with things like this?” He asked

            “They give us a bit of funding, but after the economy started to go down, and budget cuts were enacted, we get, very, very little. We basically run on food and monetary donations, but people can barely afford to feed their own families, let alone help our large family.”

            “I see.” The man said.

            “Things are just looking so bleak…” Wanda murmured.

            “Well things could change.” He said with a smile.

            Wanda looked back at him with tears in her eyes. “I honestly don’t see how.”

            “You just got to have a little bit of faith.” He said, still smiling.

            “I don’t know how I can keep the faith, when these kids will lose all faith if they aren’t able to come back here.”

            “Well how about I try to have enough faith for all you.” He said as he gripped her hand reassuringly.

            Wanda couldn’t help, but smile at this man’s faith. It reminded her of the feelings she had when she had first started this place up. She looked down at her watch and was stunned at the time.

            “Well I actually need to run,” she motioned towards the play room, “got to get the kiddos in bed.”

            He stood up from the table as she did.

            “Well, I had a lovely time talking to you Ms. Thompson.”

            “I just thank you for listening.” She smiled.

            “It was my pleasure.” He said and tipped his hat.

            She began to walk off, but then his voice stopped her.

            “Oh and Ms. Thompson,” he said as she turned to face him, “Things will get better.”

            She said nothing, but simply smiled and then he looked her in the eye and held his pointed pinkie out into the air towards her.

            “Pinkie promise.” He said and turned to walk away.

            She had made it half way to the playroom when she realized she had never gotten the man’s name.

            “Oh! Sir!” She turned and called after him, but there was nothing there. The man was gone without a trace. She stood for a moment, partially shocked and at the same time oddly comforted.

 

*   *   *   *   *

            She put the younger of the kids to bed and made sure the older ones were finishing up their homework, for a moment she thought about working on bills more or trying to figure out a way to pay the money to Mr. Ronaldson. But after much thought and hours spent staring down at the papers on her desk she decided to call it a night and try to get at least a bit of sleep before she made the announcement the following day.

            She finally fell asleep sometime after five AM.

 

*   *   *   *   *

 

            RING! RING! RING!

            Wanda awoke with a jump as her cellphone started clanging and alarming her to an incoming call.

            She grabbed her phone and was too tired to see who it was on the caller I.D.

            “Hello?” she wheezed out in her half asleep state.

            “I don’t know how you did it. Frankly, I don’t care how you did it. But just make sure there will be no more delays in the future.”

            “Mr. Ronaldson?” she said to the voice on the phone.

            “Well who else would it be, Ms. Thompson.” Mr. Ronaldson grumbled.

            “Wait, what do you mean? What’s going on?”

            “You know good and well what I’m talking about Ms. Thompson, do not try and play dumb.”

            “Forgive me sir, but I really, truly and honestly don’t have any idea what you are talking about.” Wanda said finally starting to wake up.

            “Your rent, Ms. Thompson!” He said sounding exasperated.

            “I know, Mr. Ronaldson, I’m going to try and get it to you today…I…”

            “You already did that, Ms. Thompson!” He interrupted.”

            “Excuse me?” she said as his words sank in.

            “Ms. Thompson, have you been drinking?” He growled on the other end of the phone call, “This morning a check for your rent was in my mail box, paid retroactively for the six months you already owed me for, and enough to pay for all the payments do for the following year after that.”

            “Umm what?!” Wanda jumped out of bed.

            “Did I stutter, Ms. Thompson?” He sounded incredibly annoyed at this point. “You are paid in full for all that you owe me as well as for another year.” He paused, “Now if you don’t mind, I must be off. I apparently wont be seeing you for another year. Just make sure you keep your payments up after that!” and with that Wanda heard a click and the phone call was over.

            “What the hell…” She rubbed her eyes and went to look at the clock when she heard screams from the bottom floor.

            Quickly she dashed down stairs, barely taking enough time to grab her bathrobe. She had expected to see blood or broken bones or something, but what she saw instead shocked her even more.

            There on the first story floor sat a pile of backpacks, pencils, pens, notebooks, calculators and school supplies galore. To the right of the pile there were racks, and racks of clothing, some for girls and some for boys, all different sizes and styles, all with tags still on them. Wanda couldn’t speak as her eyes moved up and down over the beautiful clothing and then back to the corner of the room where she saw something that yet again would shock her. There in the corner sat ten desktop computers, all in boxes simply needing to be set up, and right in front she found five boxes, each for a laptop computer.

            “Oh. My. God.” Wanda stammered. She felt as though her heart was going to stop. “Where did all this stuff come from?!” she frantically asked each one of the kids. None of them had an answer for her. She was about to start demanding answers when there was a knock at the door to the cafeteria. “Who in the world…?”     

            Wanda walked to the door, all the children following like a crowd behind her. She opened the door to see a man, dressed in khakis and a blue button down shirt.

            “Are you Wanda Thompson?” He said briefly looking up from clipboard in his hand.

            “Yes. I am…who are…”

            “Ok boys!” The man yelled, “It all goes in here!”

            Before Wanda could protest she was pushed back by what had to be ten men, all with dollies, each stacked high with boxes.

            “What is this?” she managed to ask.

            “The food for the shelter, Ms. Thompson.” He pointed down at his nametag, beaming with what seemed like pride, “All from McMayans Grocery, home of quality food for discount prices!” He smiled from ear to ear.

            “But I didn’t order…” Wanda watched as row after row of boxes of canned goods, produce, and dried goods filled the cafeteria.

            “Oh no ma’am.” The messenger spoke, “This wasn’t an order, well not completely. You see, my manager received a check this morning,” he leaned closer to Wanda, “and though none of us seem to know just how much it was for, we were immediately told to get into to work early, load up, and deliver all the food to you.”

            “Are you serious? I really hope you’re not just joking with me, there is no way I could pay for all of this!” Wanda said.

            “It’s already paid for in full. Oh and…” he reached into his pocket and pulled out a small card, “Mr. McMayans himself said, that should you ever need any more food items for this noble cause, do not hesitate to call, and we would be honored to assist you.”

            Wanda held the card in her hand and barely could feel her body move as she stared down at the card in complete disbelief and collapsed into a chair.

            “Should we start putting the food away…” the messenger asked her, but Wanda was too shocked to speak. Thankfully one of the oldest girls spoke up,

            “Umm…right this way sir,” the young woman spoke, “I’ll show you all to the kitchen and the pantries.”

            The men followed her one by one towards the kitchen and Wanda just sat, not knowing what to do next.

            “Ms. Wanda…” a small voice spoke, snapping her out of her dreamlike state.

            “Uh, yeah, what do you need sweetheart?” she said looking at little Mary.

            “This was in the mail box slot on the door. It’s your name right?” She held out a small white envelope, “M �" S �" Period W-A-N-D-A T-O-M-P-S-O-N.” She spelled out loud so Wanda could see her reading skills.

            “Yes, Mary, that is correct. Very good reading.” Mary beamed as Wanda touched her face and took the envelope from her. She opened up and inside was a card and on it was a hand written letter.

            “Dr. Ms. Thompson,

                        I thoroughly enjoyed speaking to you last night and was incredibly touched by your story and your determination to help others. The world needs more people like you and it was a blessing just to be in your presence. I took the liberty of paying that debt you were so distraught about last night. If you haven’t heard from Mr. Sour Puss yet, then I will make you aware that I have paid back the six months you owed, as well as enough to make up the payments for this following year. I made absolutely sure that with money in hand, Mr. Sour Puss will not be bothering you further for at least another year. I also remember you saying that donations to your food bank were low; so after a conversation with Mr. McMayans, we both supplied your cafeteria with enough food to stock your shelves for quite a while. Mr. McMayans also assured me that any food you may need in the future he will not hesitate to supply you for such a noble cause. By now you should have also received your computers, school supplies, and school clothes. The laptops are for your graduates who are defying the odds and heading off to college. Think of these as a graduation present to help them get through their college years. The desktop computers are for your own building, as I know computers have become such a large part of today’s education. There should be enough that all the children will get more than enough time to do their homework and use for things like research. The clothes are also there for them to pick and choose, and I worked on getting your children the largest variety I could, so they can all get a choice of new clothing. I have also included a check, that you will most likely see after reading this letter that should assist you with any of your further needs, like small repairs or any addition school supplies the children may be needing.

 

Thank you for being so kind and giving of yourself. It is people like you that are making the world a much better place to live in.

 

Take care of those kids like I know you will and thank you for taking the time to chat with an old man. Please remember to always keep the faith, because miracles do happen, everyday, and even when we are not expecting them.

 

Sincerely,

 

The Giver.

 

 

Wanda froze as her eyes teared up and all she could do was hold the letter up tightly to her heart. After a moment she reached into the envelope and pulled out the check and screamed with excitement. They were all going to be ok. Thanks to this man, thanks to this Angel, thanks to “The Giver.”

© 2013 Laerwen Mincks


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
Added on July 24, 2013
Last Updated on July 24, 2013

Author

Laerwen Mincks
Laerwen Mincks

About
I am a naturalist, a wife, and a mommy to Twins. Currently I am working on a degree in creative writting, and have hopes to further myself with a masters degree in fine arts. I write several diffe.. more..

Writing