To Syria

To Syria

A Screenplay by latigo
"

David, a journalist goes to Syria to understand how civilians live there amidst all the wars but unfortunately, he gets into the hands of terrorists.

"

Scene I

(David is having a meeting with his boss, Steve. Steve finishes his tea and looks at David)

Steve: So you’re telling me you’re going to Syria even if our company doesn’t support you?

David: Yes, that’s right sir. I want to go there and experience on my own how civilians survive the war. Not just Syria, maybe Iraq too. I want to be close these rather than just reading them on newspapers or listening to daily news reports on TV.

Steve: What are you planning David? I hope you know what you’re talking about.

David: I want to help those people.

Steve: The army is already working on it. Do you think you alone can go make a difference?

David: Just to contribute to their efforts. I’m going to write about their lives, the people of Syria, Iraq and whichever country is constantly under terrorist attacks. And I’m going to make every details of it available to people around the world. And I hope my work will force more nations to fight against terrorism and abolish it from this planet. We need more troops. We need troops from every possible nation to take them out. There probably will be a bunch of people who are forced to be a part of these terrorist groups. We need to save them as well.  It won’t end unless we do what it takes to end it. Maybe I can’t do anything but I am not going to sit here and count how many died.

Steve: There are people who already tried that!

David: And it didn’t work out? Well, I’m going to give it a try as well. Maybe I’m luckier unlike them.

Steve: I don’t know about this. I won’t agree to this plan of yours, David. I’ve always supported you but not this time. We can’t deal directly deal with terrorists.

David: Imagine, if there are about 100 terrorists. At least 80 of them might have been brainwashed! They might not really want to do this but just brainwashed. We can change then, can’t we? At least half of them. And this is just one way to do it.

Steve: Alright, I’m done talking. It’s all up to you.

(Steve gets up and moves towards the front door.)

David: Hey wait! What if I get it written successfully?

Steve: We will publish it but you better think twice maybe more before getting into this. And I’m sorry but don’t expect any help from the company on this. Get it done on your own if you think you can do it.  Bye, David.

(Steve exits the building.)

 

Scene II

(David at his home, with his wife Cindy and kids. During dinner they have some family talks and the kids and the kids are cheered. Then, David and Cindy head for bed after putting their kids to sleep.)

Cindy: For how long will you be gone?

David: A couple of weeks maybe less.

Cindy: Is Steve coming?

David: Well not but he is sending some other workers with me.

Cindy: That’s good. Don’t want you to go there alone.

David: I’m not alone. You are always by my side.  And It’s not the first time I’m leaving. Don’t worry, I will be back.

(They cuddle and fall asleep.)

Scene III

(David with his family at the airport.)

Cindy: Never forget to say your prayers. You tell me its fine but I can see fear in your face. Are you sure you want to do this?

David: Don’t say that. I chose to be a Journalist. I love doing this and this is my duty.

(Cindy smiles and David hugs the kids and kisses Cindy.)

David: Stay with the kids. Make sure they are happy and you take care too. I will call you whenever possible.

(David smiles and walks into the airport. Waves hand at his loved ones.)

Scene IV

(David reaches Syria. He finds a small hotel to stay, a bit far away from area held by terrorists. He gets fresh, grabs his camera and heads outside to the streets. There are signs of terror everywhere. He finds a place which seems to have been abandoned due to war. While taking pictures of it, came to him, a mother and child. The little kid is frightened and her mom tries to hide her behind her. )

David: Don’t worry, I’m not your enemy. I won’t harm, Please.

(Smiles at the kid and gives her a chocolate. They walked away from David and across the street. David focuses his cam at a building and then suddenly hears a blast behind him. Through the dust he sees the little child lying on the roadside. He rushes towards her and then hears gun shots. He gets back into cover. It was a mine blast, a trap placed by the terrorist for the marines. David had no options but to run away from the vicinity. He finds a little home and hides inside it. He forgot his cell phone at the hotel room. He sits there, praying no one sees him.)

Scene V

(Past midnight, David hears a voice of someone talking over the radio. He takes a look through the window and finds marines who are breaching through the door of a building. He stands up and rushes towards the front door and then hears some gun shots. The terrorists are trying to surround the marines. He sees this and hides back in the house and then keeps moving from one building to another. And in between more troops joins the party and it gets even worse.)

Scene VI

(David finds a terrorist, who is scared, hiding behind the wall and then he sees a grenade being thrown at him. David rushes to this man and pushes him away from the grenade. It blasts and then the marines shoot at both David and the terrorist. They both run away and through different doors they both run into the same building. The terrorist runs to the top floor while David hides in the ground floor. They spend the night without seeing each other in the same building.)

Scene VII

(Early morning, David walks to the top floor and h finds the terrorist praying on his knees. David steps back but unknowingly makes a noise and it gets the terrorist notices him. He comes close, grabs David by his neck and slams him onto the wall and looks into his eyes.)

Terrorist: American! You! You! Why save me?

( The Terrorist pushes him away and grabs a knife)

David: I saved you! Stop! I save, I saved you!

( He finds David’s Wallet and inside it his family photo. He throws his knife away and fists on the wall.)

In Arabic, The terrorist: “This is a bad spot, leave or get killed. Don’t expect me to show mercy if I see you again”.

(Suddenly, comes in a group of terrorists. Grabs David and drags him to the ground floor.David resists and keeps screaming. They hit him with a gun and he knocks out.)

Leader of the Terrorist group says, in Arabic: “ Good Job Ahmed. You’ve proved us your skills. Now let us make the Americans pay for their mistakes!

Ahmed nods at him with a sad face and walks outside.

Scene VIII

 David gets locked up in a basement. He finds himself surrounded by many terrorist who have kept men, women and children as hostages. All he could do was watch them get tortured.

A militant shouts “ We are surrounded by the Army!”

Every single militant there gets up grab their gears and moves out. The leader turns to Ahmed and says “Kill the American and meet me outside!”

The marines have begun the attack and Ahmed points the gun at David. But he finds it hard to kill him and lets him go.

Seeing this the leader shoots Ahmed and then fires at David. David manages to miss the bullets. He finds a pistol and fires back at the leader. He runs out of the building just a moment before the Marines called an Airstrike on the entire building.

David raises his hands to the sky and runs towards the marines; who gets him off the place to safety. David’s going home soon. He sits near to a window.

A marine: Hey man, you’ve been sitting there for a long time. You gonna write a story or something?

David just smiles and turns his  face to look at the rising sun.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2015 latigo


Author's Note

latigo
Not a professional. Sorry of I have made too many mistakes. Comments Appreciated. Thanks :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
Added on May 25, 2015
Last Updated on May 25, 2015
Tags: war, peace, work-in-progress, story, screenplay

Author

latigo
latigo

Kochi, Kerala



About
I love to write and I dream of becoming a professional writer. I have been trying to hone my skills and that's why I'm here. To share and learn from other writers on here. more..