The Beginning of the End

The Beginning of the End

A Story by Carrot
"

It is the era of the Zombie Apocalypse and the human survivors struggle to live. Karyn seeks the Settlement, home of the other human survivors. But will ever find it? Will she survive?

"

I woke up to the sound of running water. Sitting up in bed, I realized that my mattress was soaking wet. Still, in a daze, I flinched as a large, cold drop of water splashed on my head.

            Wait a minute, this isn’t even my bed. Water? That’s impossible. It hasn’t rained since the Infection a year ago.

            I stretched and wiped away the water dripping from my face. My tattered clothes were also soaking wet. I sighed in frustration because they were my last pair. I looked down to check my boots; they were leather and also the only pair I could find during my last raid. I hoisted my knapsack onto my back.

            There was a slight, damp breeze as I stepped out of the dilapidated shack that I had taken refuge in the night before, surveyed my surroundings then stomped on toward the north, towards the Settlement. It has been the sole aim of my journey ever since the Infection last year. Memories flooded my eyes fell on the abandoned cars on the road.

            The impact of the bomb shaking the ground.

            People screaming, running for shelter.

            The people infected by the poison in the air mutating before our eyes, the horror of it  all.

            Shivers ran down my spine as those thoughts crossed my mind. Being one of the Survivors, I was repulsed by the Infected and their constant attempts to overrule us. I shook my head, pushing those revolting memories aside. The roads were empty because the Infected feared the sunlight and also fire.

            After walking for what could have been 3 hours, I entered a village called Kufberg. The town was deserted and run down but somehow, a brightly coloured signboard caught my eye. Mila’s Boutique, it read. I shrugged my shoulders and thought,

What could be wrong if I ‘borrowed’ some new clothing? Nobody would need it anyway.

            The air inside was dingy and the front door had already been ripped from its hinges. I took a hesitant step in and was amazed at how new the dresses looked. It was too good to be true.  I was so intent on examining one of the dresses that I did not hear the hushed footsteps behind me.

            A hand suddenly clamped over my mouth and a knife was placed at my throat threateningly. My muffled cries were ignored as I was ushered unceremoniously out onto the road. There, I was pushed onto my knees but the knife was still held against my throat.

            “Huh, you’re not an Infected after all. That would explain your skin. Who are you?” the voice demanded.

            That voice. It was so familiar. But, from who?

            Then, it hit me. Hard. I tried to turn my head to look at the source of the voice.

            “Raben? Is that you? It’s me! Karyn!” The knife was taken away from my throat.

            Strong hands pulled me up gently. Then I was crushed to a broad chest, strong arms wrapped around me.

“Karyn it’s so good to see you. What happened to the others? I got your text on the day of the Infection but I never had the chance to reply.” The joy in my heart died the second he mentioned my friends. Coldly, I answered, “Everyone else is dead or Infected. And, how’s your precious Gina?”

He chuckled a little and said, “I see your jealous rage hasn’t died,” he said but continued with a slightly more solemn voice, “Gina’s dead.”

“I’m so sorry, Raben,” but deep inside, I thought,  Does that mean I get a chance now? Apparently the possible end of mankind hadn’t diminished my love for Raben. I steeled my heart and said, “I’ve got stuff to do. Unless you know where the Settlement is, it’s goodbye for now.”

I turned on my heel and continued walking north, silently hoping that Raben might run after me.

“Karyn, wait. I know where the Settlement is. I live there.”

            This made me halt in my steps. Once again, I spun around but this time my mouth was in a perfect ‘O’ shape. I stammered, “Raben, are you saying that yo- you’re from the settlement?”

            Raben laughed at my expression before replying, “Yes, Karyn. It’s not as good as it sounds because we’re expecting an attack from the Infected anytime soon. Our observations have shown the Infected are building their defence system somehow and are getting stronger day by day.”

            “Well, Raben, what are you waiting for? Take me there. I’m as ready to fight as you are.”

            “You? Fight? Really now, Karyn. You used to scream at the sight of a mere cockroach.”

            I sent him an icy stare and muttered, “That was the past.” With that, I continued walking on. He trailed after me, without another word.    

            After walking a couple of kilometres, we neared a town. Saarsburg, the name sounded vaguely familiar. I pushed those thoughts aside when my ears twitched at the sound of whimpering. I scanned my surroundings, eyes narrowing to focus against the blazing sunlight. Then I saw it. A child, a young boy crouched in the shadows of a broad tree.

            I let my guard down, thinking he might be a Survivor. Slowly, I approached the child and crouched next to him. “Karyn,” Raben called out, “Be careful.” I ignored him and continued approaching the child.

            “Hey there, are you alright?”

            The child stopped whimpering. My hand crept forward to touch his shoulders. Slowly, carefully, I extended my arm. Almost immediately, the child turned his head and bared his fangs at me. I could see his rotting skin, blisters and the pus that covered his face.

             I fell back and reached for the knife I always kept on my belt, ready to defend myself but Raben was quicker. Apparently, he already had his knife out when I was approaching the child. He slashed out, aiming precisely at the child’s throat.

            The child went still in mid-lunge, clutching at his throat. He was gurgling blood, then as though in slow motion, he fell forward.

            “Karyn, you shouldn’t let your guard down. Come, we had better move quickly to reach the Settlement. It’s just another 5 minutes away.”

            I didn’t say a word. He had saved my life, I thought. Thank you, Raben, I whispered to myself. I kept my lips sealed but walked on, accompanying Raben in silence. Fifteen minutes passed, then twenty but there was still no sign of the Settlement.

            “Well, we’re here.” Raben had stopped walking and we were now standing in front of a tall building.

            “Raben, you’re joking right? This is the Settlement that I’ve been searching for for a year? It’s just an old building!”

            “Ah, that is where you are mistaken. It’s not just an old building, it is the old building with the best security we could make.”

            “Don’t you think it’s a little too quiet, especially since it’s daytime?”

            “Karyn, I think you might be on to something. Come on, get behind me and we’ll go in.”

            Stubbornly, I flanked him instead and we entered the building. This was definitely not how I had pictured my first visit to the Settlement. A shiver ran down my spine as our footsteps echoed among the walls.

            Then, I froze when Raben abruptly stopped.

            “Raben, why-“

            I didn’t manage to finish my sentence because a group of the Infected had run out of one of the rooms and were now charging at us. Raben had pulled out his knife, lunged at the first Infected that ran towards him and stabbed it straight in the heart. Then, he turned to his left to do the same to the next Infected before it knocked Raben’s knife onto the ground. All this while, I was searching for a way for us to escape.

            Realising Raben’s vulnerability, I pulled him up the stairs that I had spotted. Reaching the top of the first floor, I gasped in horror as I took in the sight before me. Dead bodies, strewn everywhere.

            “The Survivors, it can’t be,” escaped my lips, “NO! This is not possible!”

            The remaining Infected were still downstairs, moaning and groaning, struggling to climb up the stairs.

            Only then did I realise that Raben had pulled me to one side and hugged me as I started to sob. With the presence of the Infected below us, I whispered desperately, “Raben, I love you.”

            “I love you too, Karyn, until my last breath.”

            Then, as though on cue, his breath caught. I looked at him, “Raben?”

We both looked down at his white shirt and looked at the red spot that was spreading from his chest. I felt Raben squeeze me weakly before his eyes glassed over and he slumped down onto the floor revealing the kitchen knife that one of the Infected had stabbed him with.

            Raben’s dead. He’s dead.

            I heard a horrible inhuman scream but then realised it was coming from my own throat. The panic that washed over me was now replaced by a blazing fury. Seeing red, I pulled the knife out of Raben’s chest and lunged at one of the Infected that staggered towards me. The Infected was still in shock because of my scream and did not react fast enough. I plunged the knife into its chest with one hand while the other gripped its throat, holding it into place. I did not move an inch until the Infected stilled.

            I then charged at the rest of the Infected, about three of them. Seeing that they were unarmed and in shock because of my scream, I killed them all with ease without breaking a sweat. I panted as the last of the Infected dropped to the floor, dead.

Only then did I rush to Raben’s side.

            “Raben, Raben! Don’t leave me here,” I sobbed, “please Raben. Don’t leave me.”

            I hugged his stiff body, feeling the last traces of warmth being emitted by his body. Then it hit me.

            This: I was the last Survivor. It was up to me to defend the Settlement.

I pulled Raben’s stiff body to one of the empty rooms. As I was about to leave the room, I heard the sound of scuffling and shuffling coming from one of the cupboards in the room. I glanced around hesitantly, thinking it might be a trap. Slowly, I approached the cupboard, my knife raised high above my head.

            I pulled the door open but my arm dropped uselessly to my side when I saw the contents of the cupboard. There were about 6 children cowering in fright.

            Gently, I asked them, “Hey, are you guys alright? Are you hurt? You’re the Survivors, aren’t you?”

            They nodded numbly but one of them pointed at Raben’s still body and asked, “Is he dead? He was our Protector. He promised never to leave us.”

            “I’m sorry, kid. There was nothing I could do. It was unexpected. Come, we have to leave now, we have to find another Settlement. I will be your Protector now and I promise I will do my best to look after you.”

            I helped the children out the cupboard and led them out of the building, making sure t none of the Infected were following us.

            As we walked into the sunset, I whispered to myself,

This is it. It’s just us now. And it’s up to me to protect these young Survivors and what’s left of Earth. Earth will NEVER fall into the hands of the Infected.

© 2013 Carrot


Author's Note

Carrot
How can I improve on the story? Is there anything else I should add? And should I write a second part?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on April 17, 2013
Last Updated on April 17, 2013
Tags: zombie, apocalypse, human survivor, love, history, child, murder, last breath, survive

Author

Carrot
Carrot

Penang, Malaysia



About
I'm a wannabe writer and I hope that all the reviews and ratings I may get here will help me improve. I'm also a regular teenager - which should generally mean that I'm somewhat angsty and a hopeless.. more..