The Edge of Nowhere

The Edge of Nowhere

A Story by Teddy
"

Staring down an unending path of misery William faces a life altering decision of everything he's lived his life for, or an end to the misery.

"
Winter's chilled breathe of death gently blew through the valley hitting the tiny town that lied within. Snow gracefully fell from the heavens as children ran through the deserted streets of the town playing their games. Hidden behind the clouds lied a forgotten world, a forgotten protector, a forgotten light. Wolves howled in the distance and Winter's owl took to the sky. William sat on the edge of nowhere watching the humbled town, their silent protector.
William's hair was freshly cut, his eyes wet with sorrow, skin chilled red, and mind emptier than his wallet. He had finally reached the end, and he knew it. His duty was over, dreams shattered, and love all but present. Somehow after years of gratitude, commitment, and honor his life had fallen into an abyss of chaos. No one was there for him, not a soul to care when he died. It was him and the Devil dancing together, slow inching their way to the bottomless cliff, until now. Now William stared down the intimidating cliff's edge, releasing a lingering sigh.
"What are you doing out here", a shy, concerned, voice whispered from behind. William, startled, didn't respond to the question. Instead , he played the def boy. "I asked you a question," the female's quiet voice pressed, "it's rude to ignore someone". 
William turned his head, and to his amaze there stood the prettiest girl he had ever had the pleasure of setting his eyes upon. The mystery girl stood about 5'4", had long brown hair, wore a long coat that covered her curvy figure perfectly, but the trait that stood out the most were her glowing eyes of Spring. Even in Winter's harshest storm her eyes screamed life, hope, and liberty from sin. 
"Is everything alright," she persisted.
"Tell me", William started, "do you know how the car got to the bottom of the hill? I'm sure you don't. It's one of the biggest mysteries in this town, and has since become something of nothing'.
"What are you getting at," she asked now fidgeting with nervousness. 
"I'm talking about the vehicle residing at the bottom of this cliff," he paused glancing down into the darkness. The wind began to blow harder, and the snow began to heavily fall. "It reminds me of myself. I was once an elegant vehicle, loved, cherished, admired, but then I was pushed off of a cliff. I fell, and fell, and fell until I finally hit the ground. Then I rolled, knocking over trees, and flipping over until I finally came to my final stop. Then I rested there, only to become a question in the back of people's minds. That's what i was referring to."
The female stood there, and gazed at William with wonder. She took a few steps forward, and carefully chose her words. "You really have a unique way with words. Are you an English teacher," she asked regretful.
"I've been told my entire life I have a way with words," William responded letting smile escape. "Wards are beautiful, are they not? They're a work of art. Something you can use to convince anyone of anything," he paused returning his attention to the town. "Something you can use to convince everyone but yourself. In the end you realize the words you use are about as empty as your soul. You realize the beauty others find within your words are the same beauty they find in the mask you wear."
"I don't think you have an empty soul. Someone with an empty soul wouldn't be able to speak so beautifully, nor so inspiring. You have a talent, and a beautiful way with words. I think you just need support," she finished as she took a place beside him on the edge of nowhere. She gave a warm smile, and extended her mitten covered hand, "Hi, I'm Alexis". 
William let a happy grin spread on his face, "Pleased to make your acquaintance."
"What do you say we get off this cliff, and head into town for a bite to eat," Alexis asked happily standing up, and walking away from the edge. 
She turned smiling at William, letting him know there was someone there for him. William simply stared back at her with a blank expression, and couldn't bring himself to move. There it was the warmth he so longed for, his body tingled, his heart raced, and his eyes watered. It was time to begin a new life. "Can I take a rain check on that," he said sliding himself off the cliff.

© 2014 Teddy


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
Added on April 28, 2014
Last Updated on April 28, 2014
Tags: Story, Short Story, Sad, Edge of Nowhere, Teddy

Author

Teddy
Teddy

Greenwood, AR



About
Just a writer. more..

Writing